Biking for Weight Loss?

Options
As summer approaches I've been thinking about getting a bike to help with my diet. It's one of the few exercises that doesn't aggravate an old hip injury and I think it would definitely be more fun than riding at the gym. Are there any bikers out there who have lost weight through cycling ? Before and Afters? Tips tricks warnings?

Thanks!

Replies

• trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Theres a cycling group on MFP with a fair number of people on it. I'm still a rookie, only been serious for a few months but it does certainly help.

My biggest hurdle getting started was getting my fittment on the bike proper. I got there through trial and error, but if you find you're getting sore after riding (knees, hands, butt etc.) might be worth paying a bikeshop for a proper tune and fitting.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Bump.

What about not-so-serious bikers?
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    i started my journey on a bike and finished 150 miles for MS today. Its a great way to keep you HR up and build endurance and loose weight. It is not a cheap sport unfortunately but it is a great hobby however far you want to take it. Biggest thing is not a big fat cushion seat but yet really good bike shorts.Im trying to post pics but it wont let me for some reason today
  • ronkoscelnik
    ronkoscelnik Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been riding for a couple of years now. I ride because I like it. It has helped with my fitness level. Can't say it made me skinny. Still gotta eat right and all. It does burn a lot of calories and that helps. I agree you need the right bike with proper fit...an expensive bike you hate to ride is not worth it. Go to a bike shop where someone can help you
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Not a serious road cyclist, but a regular cycle class cyclist and occasional Sunday rider.

I love riding, wind in your hair, freedom, all that jazz. Combined with the right diet any activity will help you lose weight. In one 45 minute cycle class I can burn well over 600 cals. Obviously when riding in traffic it is hard to maintain that intensity, but slightly longer times and a steady pace should achieve similar burns.

Just remember though, weight loss is 80% nutrition.

Roll out!
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I try to get on my bike for fun with my daughters, and alone when I want some different for my exercise. I have padded bike shorts, the big padded Cadillac seat, and gel gloves. No reason to have an uncomfortable ride!! No pain = better ride. The one thing I found out for an easier, more enjoyable ride is make your seat is high enough. If it's too low, your thighs will do most of the work and B U R N, and you won't go as long or as hard. Too high and it's unsafe. I love my bike because I can go faster, see more things, and it just seems easier than running :-)
  • kristiedroseh
    kristiedroseh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I'll definitely be sticking to my daily calorie goal, this will just be an exercise supplement. I live in a rural area with a lot of paved trails so hopefully I'll be able to maintain a steady speed on those. I'll also try going to a bike shop when I get my bike (hopefully this week?) I was planning on doing the cheap Walmart route but seems like proper fit is very important so I'll pony up some more cash :)
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Before considering the Walmart route, go check Craigslist. Im not completely up on all the cool bikes etc., but as I understand it just about any of the bike shop brands even used will serve you better than a new walmart or target bike.

I found a 15 year old Trek for $100, paid another 100 to clean it up and tune it, and have a bike that runs a lot better than the equivelant $200 walmart bike.
  • RedSunshine365
    RedSunshine365 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ this!

When buying from a bike shop, the initial investment is going to be higher, but you will gain so much from the sale that Walmart can't provide. First, the bike will be put together properly. You will get good advice on fit, safety, maintenance, etc. you will often get a free tune up with the purchase....most new bikes need an adjustment or two after it has a few miles on it. My local shop offers free tune ups for the life of the bike while you own it. If you can't buy new, definitely ask a fellow cyclist friend for help and look on Craigslist.

Good luck! I started out a few years ago and I've caught the bicycling bug. I love it!
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I finally broke down and bought a bike last spring. By June, I was commuting to work, rain or shine. I've commuted by bike, bus, subway and car. Biking is truly the only time I've actually had fun on my way to work. I even rode through the winter (though I didn't on days when there was snow on the roads). I also use my bike for running errands and some grocery shopping. It's been a great way of incorporating exercise into my everyday life.

Definitely go to a bike shop. Get a good basic bike by a decent maker. It will cost you more than the Walmart bike to start off but it's worth it for the better quality and better comfort that a good bike company will provide.
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I finally bought a bike in March - my whole family are avid cyclists and do lots of events together and i was the only one who didn't. i have a seizure disorder that prevents me from riding a regular bike, so i invested in a really good recumbent trike that i just love. Since i started riding i have lost 30 pounds, so yeah, its amazing exercise and for me, a ticket to freedom since i can't drive (no license due to seizures). Great stuff, i wholeheartedly recommend it - now i can't wait to get on the trail each and every chance i get. :)
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I found a 15 year old Trek for $100, paid another 100 to clean it up and tune it, and have a bike that runs a lot better than the equivelant $200 walmart bike.

I have a Trek and love it, it's also very old 20 years old, but I would not trade it for the world!

Biking reduces insulin sensitivity which ultimately let's your body burn fat quicker and more effectively versus burning sugar first.. over time you could see a great improvement in your sugar levels and the way your body burns fat. It also works your entire body versus running or the walking.. so it's great for all your muscles.
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    yesterday I burned 1300 calories mountain biking. I wasn't even out for 2 hours. The harder you ride (trail, road, or mountain) the better your burn will be. But I know myself, I get lazy on paths, I like the built in difficulty of a good single track.
    But yeah, get fitted by a professional. I've known too many people who drop $500+ on a bike only to find out they bought the wrong size and no amount of adjusting seats or handlebars will make it comfortable.

PS I have a women's 15" Rocky Mountain Soul.
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    cycling changed my life

I say got for it!
  • carjohnson2
    Options
    I agree with the used bike advice. I bought an excellent road bike off Craigslist, including the helmet, lock, gloves, and car rack for 125.

As far as using a bike to lose weight I lost close to 90 pounds through cycling. It is easy on the joints, and great for trimming the hips.

Good luck.

One bit of advice, the seat may hurt at first, use Bag Balm (or something similar) to help cut the friction.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Go to a bike shop, it's worth it. They know their stuff and will help you a LOT.

Your butt will be sore the first few days, but after that you should have smooth sailing. A great way to get exercise w/o aggravating your knees.
  • drapisking
    drapisking Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Can't say that it's a miracle cure, but it certainly is an easy way to burn calories.
  • Drawberry
    Drawberry Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am not a serious biker at all, but I ADORE bike riding as a leisure sport and just a few short years ago could be gone for well over 3 hours riding up and down the neighborhood faster then the speed of light! Well not quite that fast...but it felt like it!

Recently, as in just a few days ago, I was able to get biking again and just 40 minutes on the bike cut off a little over 400 calories from my day.

There is one problem I am noticing is that a previous knee injury is causing a pretty harsh amount of pain after a short amount of time on the bike :/ A few years back I tripped over a metal 'rope' and landed on my left knee on the cement. Ever since then, as one can imagine, I've been able to dislocate my knee in and our of place at random and from time to time the injury seems to flare and become painful enough I can't walk correctly. While that kind of extreme pain is very rare, being on the bike seems to cause some non-lasting pain.
  • Brittmy
    Brittmy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I joined this group back in January and, in conjunction with healthy eating, I have lost 20 pounds so far, biking! :-)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2771-100-miles-a-month-2012

It works for outdoor bikers, indoor bikers, serious cyclists, and recreational cyclists. Hope to see you there! :-D
  • beanerific518
    beanerific518 Posts: 152
    Options
    Biking made a big difference in my weight loss journey because I discovered that exercise can be fun! I didn't want to make any excuses not to go out and ride! I highly recommend going to a bike shop to check out the type of bike that is right for you. It is a higher initial investment, but you won't be replacing the bike in two years either. I went with a Trek fitness hybrid - I love it - perfect for trails (paved and limestone) and road.