How many calories a day?

Options
yehzoe
yehzoe Posts: 22 Member
Heya.
I've noticed that most people on here have quite a low amount of calories to consume in a day.
Mine is 1950 per day, im 20, about 5'7 (i think),about 57kgs last i checked, fairly active, and im not looking to lose weight as such..lmaybe just 5kgs at the most(mainly wanna tone)

Whats your RDI of callries according to MFP?? Does mine sound right to you?if not can i change it?

Replies

• michalebsdad
    Options
    This is your BMI (based on the information given)
    18.5 to 24.99 (Normal Weight)

Here is your BMR (approx.) - 1410.95
    Formula: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

•If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

I think you have enought information to figure out what your caloric range should be based on your fitness goals. That being said, if you wind up eating 1900 calories per day of crap food, you will probably not achieve the desired results. If you need anything else, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck reaching and surpassing all of your fitness goals.
  • yehzoe
    yehzoe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow, thats really helpful. According to that method im fine. Thanks!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5.5" and currently weigh just under 160 pounds. To lose 1 pound a week with my activity level set to lightly active I'm supposed to about 1450 calories a day. Currently though, I'm breastfeeding, so I'm set to maintenance (1950 cals) plus the calories I burn from pumping about 60 ounces of milk (1200 cals).
  • michalebsdad
    Options
    My next bit of advice would be to incorporate strength training (3-4 days per week). As you go through your training, you will gain lean muscle which will assist your body in burning its fat stores. I wouldn't go really heavy, but in the range you can do three sets of 8 to 10 reps (the last rep should be hard to complete). You may also want to incorporate L-Glutamine as a after workout supplement. They make it in a powder formula you can mix with water. This will help your body keep the lean muscle mass you will be working hard to get. This isn't going to get you huge, it will get you "toned". Toned by the way is a word created back in the day to get women into the gym. There is really no toning option when working out...you are either building muscle or you are not! There is a ton of information regarding work out routines in the world wide web, find a routine that appeals to you. You can go the route of a personal trainer, but they are kind of expesive and if you do your homework, you can accomplish the same without one. Also remember to change your routines about every month (this goes the same with your diet). If you keep doing the same stuff, eating the same stuff at the same time, your body will get used to it and you will stop seein gains (or losses if that is your goal). Feel free to ask me if you have any questions.
  • mameirsrn
    mameirsrn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help!!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and have 20 to lose, my goal is set to 1500 which is the absolute maximum I can eat and still lose, but I prefer to eat 1200.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My advice is to mix the gluatmine in with a smoothie instead of water. I tried it in water and it was really nasty. I can't taste it my smoothies though.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm also 1900 a day, but only 5ft4 and 58.4kg, im lifting 3 days a week and running 3 days a week :)