Has anyone had success due to spinning classes?

Options
WannaBeThin87
WannaBeThin87 Posts: 58 Member
At this point, I don't exercise at all. I've always wanted to try spinning classes. I've been told you can burn a lot of calories and really tone up from spinning.

Replies

• gracey2521
    gracey2521 Posts: 72
    Options
    At this point, I don't exercise at all. I've always wanted to try spinning classes. I've been told you can burn a lot of calories and really tone up from spinning.

If you don't exercise at all, do NOT start with a spinning class unless it is specifically slated for beginners. Spinning is intense and can be difficult even for people who are used to a lot of exercise.

I started a spinning class thinking it would be fine because I always did a lot of cardio, and it was one of the most painful things ever!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Spinning classes are a great way to burn calories, but you don't want to jump right off the couch and into a spinning class. Build up to it. Get in the gym and spend a few weeks getting used to regular exercise. Then get into the spinning class and build up to pushing yourself. Or better yet, join up with a cycling group or club and get your spinning fix satisfied outside in the fresh air. It is almost summer most places!
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I lost weight using spinning classes before. But as other posters have stated it is not sonething you want to jump right into. I had been working out fir quite awhile and found myself stuck and needed to change things up so I tried a class at my gym. I loved it and hated it all at the same time. LoL. But if did kick my weight loss back in!!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

If you don't exercise at all, do NOT start with a spinning class unless it is specifically slated for beginners. Spinning is intense and can be difficult even for people who are used to a lot of exercise.

I started a spinning class thinking it would be fine because I always did a lot of cardio, and it was one of the most painful things ever!

DISAGREE! Go! Spinning is for everyone!

Come on, that is ridiculous.

ANYONE at ANY FITNESS LEVEL can do a spinning class. The first time I ever took a spin class, I had just had my 3rd child and had not worked out in 9 years (9 years of near constant pregnancy (6 pregnancies) and nursing). Yes, it was hard, and my booty hurt, but it was motivating.

I became an instructor within 6 mos. That was 8 years ago.

Huge calorie burn! Bring water, get there 10 minutes early, and have the instructor explain everything to you.

Go 3 times within 2 weeks and your booty will no longer hurt, you will be able to do everything and you will be hooked.

P.S. do not waste money on padded shorts or a padded seat. 3x in 2 weeks, and you will be fine. that is all.

blessings.
  • uniqute1888
    uniqute1888 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    "ANYONE at ANY FITNESS LEVEL can do a spinning class. The first time I ever took a spin class, I had just had my 3rd child and had not worked out in 9 years (9 years of near constant pregnancy (6 pregnancies) and nursing). Yes, it was hard, and my booty hurt, but it was motivating.

Huge calorie burn! Bring water, get there 10 minutes early, and have the instructor explain everything to you.

Go 3 times within 2 weeks and your booty will no longer hurt, you will be able to do everything and you will be hooked.

P.S. do not waste money on padded shorts or a padded seat. 3x in 2 weeks, and you will be fine. that is all. "

What she said!!! I jumped into it not knowing the drill (yes me nether region hurt like a mother) and fell
    In love! Wish I had the balls to get certified to run the class myself ....

Happy spinning and remember water and pace yourself - not a bad idea to try a beginner or mini spin for a while till you feel your up to the challenge... But what's the worse that happens you leave the class a little early? You will
    Stay longer next class... GO! Best workout you will love to hate ;-)
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

ANYONE at ANY FITNESS LEVEL can do a spinning class. The first time I ever took a spin class, I had just had my 3rd child and had not worked out in 9 years (9 years of near constant pregnancy (6 pregnancies) and nursing). Yes, it was hard, and my booty hurt, but it was motivating.

P.S. do not waste money on padded shorts or a padded seat. 3x in 2 weeks, and you will be fine. that is all.

I agree as well, if you are interested in Spinning and have the desire....GO!!! The first few classes I took, I just tried to keep pedaling...if you have to slow down or sit when the others are standing...that is fine...you will get there.....However, I did spend the $20 for a padded seat.....I enjoy the class!! Good Luck!
  • KLD81230
    KLD81230 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

blessings.
    [/quote]

^^^^ ABSOLUTELY!! Just what I was thinking!!
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    Definitely try Spin but be sure to get there early and introduce yourself to the instructor and let them know its your first time. They can teach you how to set up the bike properly (this is very important!) and supply you during class with any necessary modifications for your fitness level. Your rear end will be sore at first due to the seat but it will get easier, I promise.
  • nasja1984
    nasja1984 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

yes, in my opinion it's the best bang for your buck in cardio. Give it your all.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    spinning is for everyone. you take the cues from the instructor but you're the one who's ultimately in control of the resistance and the speed.

i agree with the others who say go talk to the instructor before class. they will help you set the bike seat and handles up and will know to keep an eye on you during class.

try it and have fun!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I can't say it works for me. With sciatica down my left leg, after about 20 minutes, my left butt cheek and leg start to numb. Would it be different if I didn't have sciatica? Probably.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Any workout can be made as intense as a Spinning class - just get the heart rate up there.

And the claims you can burn up to 1000 cal's an hr is more than slightly exaggerated. Mostly because it seems classes or only 45 min.
    Also, you'd have to keep your HR so elevated for that whole time, and the workout that day may not be focused on say intervals.

The wonderful thing about spinning though, is no impact.
    So you can do more and harder with less joint issues compared to other activities.

And with instructor motivation, it's easy to get the HR up, doing elliptical by yourself, might not be so prone to do intervals correctly, and relief periods, that makes it all so possible.

But do get a HRM, as you don't really want to go all out the whole time, and all too easy to do so, but rather benefit from the workout type variety by go low HR sometimes, high, strength or endurance type ride, ect.

And feed the workouts really well, carbs, because that's what you'll burn the most of likely.
  • ryanherbert
    ryanherbert Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Definitely do it, spinning is for everyone. The difference between a dead beginner and an experienced campaigner will be the resistance on the bike. Your legs will all be moving at the same speed but everyone will have different levels of resistance on the bike to maintain that leg speed. Take the first few sessions at your own pace and build up from there.

Just get there early 10 minutes early and speak to the instructor before you start - they'll be able to set your bike up and give you a heads up on what to expect.

Regarding the comments about bike shorts, I differ from the what others have said and would highly recommend them, especially if you're going to do it a few times a week (or if you want to eventually get out on the road for some longer rides).
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight when I was over 200 pounds and with spinning I've lost nearly 40 pounds. When I first started spinning, I sat in the back of the class and only did what I could. I would tell the instructor that my foot hurt so I couldn't stand up long or do lots of jumps, but it was really because I was so out of shape. But, man did I have a huge burn. I started off going 3 times a week, then made my way up to 5 times I week. If spinning is something you're interested in, you can do it. But take it at your own pace. Don't feel that you have to do everything on day one. Make sure the instructor sets you up on the bike properly before class and enjoy the ride.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I burn the same spinning as I do with zumba. Maybe a bit less because its dark and I can cheat more in spinning - harder to cheat in zumba (although it can be done)
  • tcmay72
    tcmay72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    From what ive seen on tv it might kill me! I do my own spinning in my living room while watching all my shows on dvr. works for me!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The good thing about spinning is you control your resistance and if you are new you can back it off a little if need be, its great and fun, when I did my first one I was 280 lbs and I just went and did it, it helped me lose a lot of weight. I would burn nearly 1000 cals an hour doing it.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i've been wanting to try spinning class...i'm pretty active so hopefully i wont make myself look to stupid. How many calories would you say you burn with these classes? or at least an estimate?
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    One of the best things about spin class is that YOU control the level at which you work, not the instructor. Unlike aerobics classes where everyone can see you taking it easy, no one in the room knows how hard you have your bike cranked down. Plus (at least at my gym) they usually have the lights turned down.

Go and try it. It's for all levels. Just listen to your body and be aware that if you push yourself too hard, as in anything you do, you'll be hurting the next day. Expect some saddle soreness (in the crotch) but it's an amazing workout. I love it.
  • riverab1
    riverab1 Posts: 19
    Options
    I was one of the ones that just jumped into spinning without having seriously exercised before. It is super hard, but so worth it. It is low impact and you can go at your own pace and your own resistance. If they are standing and you can't, then sit. You can make it is hard or as easy as you want. To burn the most calories though, you will have to push it! Make sure to bring a towel and water!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!