Diet soda

Options
13»

Replies

• hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    soda is soda and i have had a hard past with it... i was drinking a 2 liter a day for a good portion of my life... dont ask me why i let it get that bad... but recently (its been a month) i totally gave it up... i quit cold turkey which was the best option in my opinion and since reading this http://www.rodale.com/facts-about-soda i havent looked back.... sodas have so many negatives that its not worth it to me anymore... i love being able to eat and drink things that i know exactly is in there...
  • jagonthedestroyr
    jagonthedestroyr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Is it possible that the artificial sweetners in diet soda can aggravate chronic anemia? My "normal" hemoglobin is 10-11. It has been this way my entire life (never found a reason why) even before I started drinking diet sodas (which has been in the last 5 years).
    [/quote]

Chronic anemia can be cause by so many things. Women in general tend to have a lower hct than men due to normal physiologic workings. Basically i would deduce that if you are not a water drinker, the fact there alone can cause you to become anemic since it puts you in a "low volume state." There are many things that can cause you to be anemic, but drinking water in general, staying adequately hydrated aka not drinking soda can possible alleviate some of that. Although this is something that needs to be brought up with your primary care doctor if it hasn't already. There is an endless list that can cause chronic anemia.

An excellent history taken by a doctor can usually tease out the problem, even when other doctors do not find the cause. I must stress in the US with time constricts many physicians take terrible histories with many simple diagnosis left undiagnosed as the result.

To the reader that quoted Aspartame is safe, at this time studies do say this, but medical information is ALWAYS changing. You CAN NOT change body physiology, and if you understand physiology, than you'd understand that Artificial sweetener can be converted into phenylalanine. Now what I said is IF the body is functioning properly there is no need to worry since there is a very small chance this can happen. For me, i try to stay away from ALL processed food and consuming any sort of chemical unless needed. Why roll the dice on something like this.

The Harvard study also proves what I already said, "By providing a sweet taste without any calories, artificial sweeteners could confuse these intricate feedback loops that involve the brain, stomach, nerves, and hormones." This is basically centered on the pancreas. You see the pancreas is not as smart as people think. By stimulating the pancreas it releases 'X amount of Insulin,' but it is not always the desired amount. This could mean too much was released, aka over stimulating do to the intense artificially sweeteners causing hypoglycemic triggering hunger again. All the processes I am talking about are all based on basic body physiology.

We are trained to evaluate research, since not all research results are helpful, especially if they contradict what basic physiology says.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I do about a gallon of diet mtn dew per day. Trying to stop though.

not worried about aspartame until actual science says it's bad.
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Any other medical questions based on body physiology I'd be happy to answer as this is my specialty.

I have one I bet you can answer. I went cold turkey off all carbonated beverages 3 years ago because (1) I was officially addicted :drinker: (2) I wanted to eliminate as many chemicals from my diet as possible, and (3) I read articles indicating that carbonated beverages lower bone mineral density. Is there any validity to the bone mineral density - carbonation article?

I'm a 50 year old female with a family history of osteoporosis and, having seen what my mom's been through, I'm fighting it tooth and nail! I do know that soda is great for cutting through the road gunk on your windshield!
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I don't like artificial sweeteners, they often give me headaches and stomach troubles. If I'm going to drink a soda that is terrible for me, I'd rather have sugar. At least it comes from the ground.
  • carebear9703
    carebear9703 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP and have had no success thus far. Although, I lost a significant amount of weight in the previous few years on the original weight watchers points plan. I drank diet soda all through my weight loss with no problems. I only drink maybe 3-4 cans a week now. I'm thinking about drinking coffee in the morning so I won't have and soda in the afternoon but it is getting hotter and I don't think i would want a hot drink so early. Everyone's body is differant but there are no problems with diet soda as long as you use moderation.

P.S. Any suggestions on why I have had no success on this plan? I tried it because I wanted to save money and not sign up for weight watchers. I have about 15-20 more lbs I want to lose.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not the soda itself, it's the sweetness. I find that if I drink things that taste sweet, whether they have sugar or not, I crave sugar all the more. Your mileage may vary.

If you feel that it's getting in the way of weight loss, try giving it up for a while or cutting back. Otherwise, understand that you are designing a lifestyle here, and if your weight loss is dependent o giving something up, your weight maintenance will probably be based on the same principle. If you re-add all your old favorites the day you meet your goal, you'll re-add all the pounds that come with them.