Is there such a thing as too much fibre?

Options
VanessaC
VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
I just recently added the fibre colum to my food diary. I have been under the inpression that fibre keeps you feeling full longer and is overall a good thing for my body. I seem to be going over on my fibre intake though. I'm not concerned about it as long as too much fibre isn't a bad thing. Anyone know the answer?

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I am always over on fibre too. I have found the fibre on here to be very low. If I only ate what MFP has, I would have problems. My fibre is usually between 30 and 40 grams. I drink lots of water to go along with it
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating 55-60g of fiber a day, i wouldn't worry about it (and there are people who would argue that true natural human diets would have that much and more). Basically fiber can't really hurt you. Plus the recommended amount here on MFP is extremely low.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Sometimes having way too much fiber can give you a stomachache. That's happened to me before when eating Kashi (I ate a BUNCH of it, like I mean A LOT, at one sitting once! :laugh: ) and had the worst stomach pains a little while later. But that was an extreme case because that way waaaaay too much fiber.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I just recently added the fibre colum to my food diary. I have been under the inpression that fibre keeps you feeling full longer and is overall a good thing for my body. I seem to be going over on my fibre intake though. I'm not concerned about it as long as too much fibre isn't a bad thing. Anyone know the answer?

I agree with the others, fiber IS good for you. I'd also like to add though that protein will ALSO help keep you feeling full alot longer too! :smile:
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    According to Health magazine, the average woman should consume at least 25 grams of fiber.