I CAN'T jog for two minutes straight!

Options
I REALLY need help with jogging. I even find it hard to jog for two minutes (6mph).
Please help me be able to jog/run for WAYYYY longer

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Look up c25k - Couch to 5k program - excellent for those wanting to get into running. I'm a recent graduate! It works!
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    Patience and persistence. The only way to get better at it is to practise. Jog for as long as you can, then walk until you recover your breath/courage. Do it as often as possible. In my experience, it takes me about 2 weeks of running every day before I can get through a full 30 minutes without stopping.

Keep at it!
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Look up c25k - Couch to 5k program - excellent for those wanting to get into running.

^^ A lot of people use this program successfully^^ Good luck!
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I am suffering through C25K right now and it is kicking me *kitten*.... must say I keep repeating weeks... SUCKY
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K a couple weeks ago. Loved it!! I definitely recommend it to help with running.
  • lisaelainee
    lisaelainee Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    There's a treadmill version that I am thinking of doing, just because I will be too embarrassed doing it outside and once I've completed it I will start jogging/running outside. Will this work?
  • Jessintherain
    Jessintherain Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Run for a minute and a half. ;)

No, but like they say, C25K is great. I'm in week 5 now. Don't focus on speed, and try to run on suitable surfaces. Concrete can be rough at the start.

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    I REALLY need help with jogging. I even find it hard to jog for two minutes (6mph).
    Please help me be able to jog/run for WAYYYY longer
    Jog slower first. Try it at 4.5.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lisaelainee
    Options
    Is the park a good place to start?
  • cellokitty91
    cellokitty91 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I started running everyday about 3 months ago and I started out at the same level. I seriously couldn't run for more than a few minutes and was dying. I run 4 miles every other day now, 2 miles straight with a 3 minute stretch break in between. All it takes is persistence! Take breaks when you need them but really push yourself. You'll see speed and endurance sooner than you think.
  • jkcools
    jkcools Posts: 66
    Options
    1. Try a good pair of running shoes,(example: Nike free, or bare foot running shoes) 2. run on the balls of your feet, or mid strike. 3. Walk before you can run, then walk/run, and before you know it you will be able to run with a lot more ease. Hope this helps.
  • cellokitty91
    cellokitty91 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Is the park a good place to start?

Yeah! Start where you can run laps. It feels impossible when you can't see your finish line.
  • lisaelainee
    Options
    Photoon2012-05-07at1333.jpg

my shoes, are they okay?
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I was absolutely not able to run or jog and I did c25k, then i joined a local runner club and suddenly, in 4 months I finished my first Half Marathon in 2hrs 3min... so... is not easy but is not impossible...
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K.. listen to the voice in the app and always obey it. Run when he/she says to run and walk when they say to walk. Do it three times a week.. every other day .. no excuses. I couldn't run more than 2 minutes either and that app cured me! :-)
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    I started the same way. There is a 3 mile course I run near where I live, and I started by just running as much as I could. I told myself "make it to that next telephone pole". I eventually told myself "I'm going to run this today and not stop". After about 10-15 runs I was able to run the whole thing at 6mph. The c2 5k sounds sort of similar to what I did, but I set the goals for myself based on landmarks. You really have to just tell yourself you're going to do it, and stick to it. There are still days when I feel horrible running, but since I've ran it before, I know I can run it again, and I don't let myself stop.
  • dmartinez62403
    Options
    Try the walk/run/walk method. First start out at a slower pace so you don't injure yourself and get burnt out too quickly and then build up minute by minute. Jog one minute. walk one minute. Jog two minutes. Walk one minute. See if that helps. I used to loathe running and now I love it. I have been reading motivational running books, bought some good running shoes and updated my running music and now I look forward to my daily jog. Good luck!!
  • jkcools
    jkcools Posts: 66
    Options
    The shoes you displayed look very heavy too me. Research Bare Foot running shoes; trust me I had a lot of problems with running, and you will be amazed how something small like changing your shoes, make a huge different. Also check out a book called "The beginning Runner's handbook." Good Luck.:wink:
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    slow down your pace! It really helps