Haunted by my alternate anorexic personality, ANA.

Options
O.K. So I'm an ex-anorexic... It's like being an ex-alcoholic, the mindset is always with you. I've started with my fitness pal so that I could increase my calorie intake and nutrition. Instead, all I can think about is how I need to workout more. I recently had reflux surgery and lost 40lbs. I was considered obese by my BMI and now I am only overweight with a BMI of 28. I love my Zumba and it is a positive, uplifting hobby for me. I teach 10 classes of Zumba a week!!! That's why I'm under physician/dietician orders, so I can learn to feed my body to keep up with my active schedule. Why does my head make me feel like a slacker when I'm already maxing out my body's capabilities! HELP!!

Replies

• tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    > Why does my head make me feel like a slacker when I'm already maxing out my body's capabilities!

Because, like you said, the thinking patterns associated with your disorder are still there. I would advise you to seek the help of a professional psychologist or counselor. For some reason, most societies today still attach a stigma to needing psychological help, because mental disorders are seen as "personal problems" that you should be able to work out on your own. This idea is wrong; you don't need to be "crazy" to see a psychologist. Because of the stigma, many people balk at the idea of seeing a "shrink," but please don't. These people are there to help you, and there's no shame in getting help for this - it's a major lifestyle change.

It's just like seeing a physician and dietitian for the resources you need to stay healthy doing Zumba and eating properly: it's just good sense.