5 a day makes me gain!

Options
13»

Replies

• brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    There are many vegetables that can be filling. Remember, the more fiber they have, they more they will fill you up. Broccoli, carrots, and beans are good ones to incorporate. Also, remember to add a little healthy fats to your meals, like olive oil and avocado. Besides being good for you, they help you feel satisfied.
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    its simply too much sugar for your liver to process out of your bloodstream.....people say natural sugar is processed differently....fruit compared to white sugar....ummmm yeah where does white sugar come from? cane...so yeah its basically all natural too.....eat more veggies, cut back on the fruit, start tracking your sugar on here. It will help.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Been shop and purchased some raspberries and strawberries to replace the fruit i have been eating! Plus some mushrooms, cucumber,baby tomatoes and as a treat, some nutty, seed bites that are peanut, sesame, currents, hazelnut and honey :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    At the rate that you're consuming fruit, I would eliminate juice, which isn't as good for you as eating the actual fruit. Instead of a glass of orange juice have the orange. Quite frankly, all I see when I look at more than a piece or two of fruit per day is sugar and wasted calories. Up your veg, chill just a little on the massive amounts of fruit, and fresh fruit is better than dried. If you think about every raisin you eat in the terms of grapes, I'd rather eat half of those grapes for twice the fill.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Plum and juice for breakfast, raisins with lunch, banana and mushroom with another meal and then small amounts of salad with my meal.

Drop the dried fruits unless they are absolutely the only way you can get fruit - they have less nutrition and concentrate the sugars. Instead of raisins, eat grapes. Or an apple.

And make sure the juice is real fruit juice. Most of the "fruit juice" out there might contain 10-15% juice at best, the rest is artificial flavor and sugar water - you'd be better off eating a candy bar because at least it's got some proteins and fat.

Make the small amounts of salad LARGE amounts of salad. Green leafies are absolutely the best thing for you. If a small salad is all you're getting for actual veg, then make it bigger.

Concentrate on more veg, less fruit. Drop the raisins and have some broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, fresh peas, or some raw/fresh veggie you like.
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You aren’t tracking sodium and I would with the water retention problem. Bread, cheese and most prepared foods including condiments have far more sodium than you’d think. The best thing for water retention, btw, is drinking more water.

I love fruit juice but when I cut it out losing became much easier. The only juice I drink now are ones I juiced myself and all the fruit/veg is counted so the calories reflect what is really in the glass.

To up your calories add raw nuts and seeds, yoghurt and milk, a date or fig after supper if you still need the calories. If you look at your macros it will tell you if you need the protein, fiber or sodium. It does take some practice but it gets a lot easier.
  • Louise1247
    Options
    You aren’t tracking sodium and I would with the water retention problem. Bread, cheese and most prepared foods including condiments have far more sodium than you’d think. The best thing for water retention, btw, is drinking more water.

I love fruit juice but when I cut it out losing became much easier. The only juice I drink now are ones I juiced myself and all the fruit/veg is counted so the calories reflect what is really in the glass.

To up your calories add raw nuts and seeds, yoghurt and milk, a date or fig after supper if you still need the calories. If you look at your macros it will tell you if you need the protein, fiber or sodium. It does take some practice but it gets a lot easier.

I was tracking this but changed it for sugar as everyone told me to. I was still only eating 700-1500mg sodium a day and always drink plenty.

Purchased some seed/nut bites- that way i can have something sweet but also upping the calories :) only 5g of sugar per serving, which is great compared to the stuff i had before!

Cannot wait until tomorrow now to start off fresh :)
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Sometimes an increase in fiber can make you feel bloated, but it shouldn't make you gain weight. You may be retaining water (which is not actual fat gain). Fruits and vegetables are great for you, I'd limit the dried fruits like raisins and drink more water. Your body will get used to the extra fiber over time (or you can try increasing your fruit/veg intake slowly).
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have only gained a pound to half a pound , but fruit seems to be making me really bloated and gain a little weight back- this is the first gain since my weight loss started back in late February.

I have been eating 5 portions or less a day e.g:
    Plum and juice for breakfast, raisins with lunch, banana and mushroom with another meal and then small amounts of salad with my meal.

Is this normal? how can i prevent this?

um, the "five a day" thing is fruit AND veggies, not just fruit, and servings are smaller than people think. Plum AND juice? Pick one (and how much juice?) How many raisins? A serving of dried fruit, like raisins, is only 1/4 cup, about a handful. With a banana, too, you're at 4-6 servings of just fruit.

Mushrooms are good.

What's in your salad? The darker the green, the better (I make mine with spinach instead of lettuce). What else do you put in it?
  • Louise1247
    Options

um, the "five a day" thing is fruit AND veggies, not just fruit, and servings are smaller than people think. Plum AND juice? Pick one (and how much juice?) How many raisins? A serving of dried fruit, like raisins, is only 1/4 cup, about a handful. With a banana, too, you're at 4-6 servings of just fruit.

Mushrooms are good.

What's in your salad? The darker the green, the better (I make mine with spinach instead of lettuce). What else do you put in it?

Hey thanks for advice:
    plum i only had one- rather than the two which is a suggested portion, the juice i was having 200ml, so not much but cutting it out,
    Raisins was 42g, just under a 1/4cup.

Sorry I cannot show u my usual diary as this is a new profile...
    but in the salad I usually have green lettuce (sometimes iceberg as i prefer it) 50g cucumber, 50g baby tomatoes, spinach, sometimes I add green pepper and sweetcorn too if i want it a little sweeter.

I commonly ate a lot of asparagus, aubergine and courgette too :)