Cabbage Soup Diet (Sacred Heart Diet)

Options

Replies

• Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    Sacred Heart diet? This diet is endorsed by the hospital from Scrubs? Awesome!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    My mom makes this often.
    I mean its soup. its not even all that bad. I have it when I go over sometimes, or she will make it.
    I think she goes off the recipe, and makes it with different veggies and its pretty good!

but, its just still soup.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Your diary is chock full of overprocessed foods and the "quick adds" may be very UNDERestimated. You assume you're overestimating, but you can't know that for sure.

I have never been to a restaurant and not been able to find something comparable, even if I have to break down the ingredients. Try that so you have a real idea of what you're eating and how much.

If you're eating your calories goal and not losing, then either you're not tracking correctly or possibly there's a medical reason (I have been having weight trouble and been unable to lose since getting Mirena, for example). There is no such thing as a "jump start." If you can't make progress now, eating cabbage soup and then going back to eating normal is only going to result in you having the same experience when you go back to eating normal.

My recommendation, in summation, is to try eating more whole foods and less processed and to be more careful with your "quick adds."
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Absolutely 100% do NOT bother with this.

While I'm just repeating some previous advice: You do not need to detox your system and you do not need to "kickstart" or "jumpstart" anything. You need a plan that you can stick with and you need to stick with it, and that's it.

If I were to generalize and sum up a list:

1) Eat at a reasonable caloric deficit. 20% under TDEE is a good starting place.
    2) Consume adequate protein and fat.
    3) Exercise, ideally with progressive resistance.
    4) Rest and repeat.
    5) Don't micromanage anything else that doesn't really matter.

Best of luck.

^^^^This was what I was about to say.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Dont do it!!!!!!
    scrubs.jpg
  • shel1103
    shel1103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Some of you are replying and acting like all I would eat for a week is cabbage soup. Ick!! I would not make it past day 2. Here is the link for the actual diet. I do not eat enough fruits AT ALL!!! I thought this might help me enjoy them more.

http://www.idiet4u.com/diets/sacredheart.html
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'd also like to add that you just joined last month and you're down 4 pounds, which is a pretty normal, healthy loss.
  • shel1103
    Options

Dont do it!!!!!!
    scrubs.jpg

LMFAO!!!! LOVE IT!
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried this one to jumpstart their weight loss?? It sounds kind of crazy, but sounds like it may be a way to clean my system out?? Thoughts?

I did this diet about 10 years ago, and lost 35 lbs in 6 weeks. Then I gained it all back over the next year or so, and in the subsequent years, put on another 20 lbs. This diet was intended for what another poster stated: quick weight loss for very obese people who needed to have surgery. This is NOT intended as any kind of permanent weight loss, and it will put your body into starvation mode, which will STALL your weight loss, not jump start it.

Sounds great -- it's quick -- but I would not recommend it for any real life changing weight loss / nutritional adjustment.

If you're looking for a GREAT detox regimen, try this: http://www.bulkherbstore.com/Herbal-Colon-Cleanse-Kit?s=detox kit

I'm in week 3 of this cleanse right now, and continuing to eat sensibly. No starvation, just an excellent detox / digestive system cleansing.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Some of you are replying and acting like all I would eat for a week is cabbage soup. Ick!! I would not make it past day 2. Here is the link for the actual diet. I do not eat enough fruits AT ALL!!! I thought this might help me enjoy them more.

http://www.idiet4u.com/diets/sacredheart.html

I just read the link and I still think this is a horrible idea for reasons previously stated. Let me be very clear that this is not a personal attack on you so please don't take it as such. I think it's an awful diet and you should instead focus on setting up a PERMANENT PLAN instead of a temporary gimmick.
  • shel1103
    Options
    I'm not taking it as a personal attack at all. No worries. : ) I have thick skin. As far as my quick adds, I honestly do not think I'm underestimating, but I could be very wrong. I will try harder. The 2 times I did it, they were local restaurants, not found anywhere else online. I will try to find comparable food on here.

Also, I'm not looking at this diet as a quick fix by any means, or as something I can do for longer than a week. I was hoping for a quick 9 or 10 pounds and then continue my normal weight loss journey from there. I appreciate all the feedback, good and bad. It's super helpful!!!
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Absolutely 100% do NOT bother with this.

While I'm just repeating some previous advice: You do not need to detox your system and you do not need to "kickstart" or "jumpstart" anything. You need a plan that you can stick with and you need to stick with it, and that's it.

If I were to generalize and sum up a list:

1) Eat at a reasonable caloric deficit. 20% under TDEE is a good starting place.
    2) Consume adequate protein and fat.
    3) Exercise, ideally with progressive resistance.
    4) Rest and repeat.
    5) Don't micromanage anything else that doesn't really matter.

Best of luck.

Sidesteal - Question for ya...

My TDEE - 20% is higher than what MFP recommends. This is probably b/c of the exercise component. I just started doing some working out (push ups, squats, planks, a couple dumbbell routines). I filled out "light exercise" 1-3 days a week on the TDEE calculator.

Is it better to over or underestimate your exercise? I"m not really sure what my workout counts for. It doesn't seem like I'm doing much, yet.

Thanks! (People seem to think you know what you're talking about, so I thought I'd ask your opinion! :) )
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'm not taking it as a personal attack at all. No worries. : ) I have thick skin. As far as my quick adds, I honestly do not think I'm underestimating, but I could be very wrong. I will try harder. The 2 times I did it, they were local restaurants, not found anywhere else online. I will try to find comparable food on here.

Also, I'm not looking at this diet as a quick fix by any means, or as something I can do for longer than a week. I was hoping for a quick 9 or 10 pounds and then continue my normal weight loss journey from there. I appreciate all the feedback, good and bad. It's super helpful!!!

Even if it's a local place, just look up the dish you had. It may not be exact, but it will be close than the estimates.

Nine or 10 pounds lost in a week, unless you are VERY overweight (like 300 pounds or more, and even that depends on height), is NOT HEALTHY and not what you want to be doing. Unless I'm missing something, your losses are good and ideal. Just keep the slow and steady pace. You'll be surprised to see how fast you reach your goal that way.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    My TDEE - 20% is higher than what MFP recommends. This is probably b/c of the exercise component. I just started doing some working out (push ups, squats, planks, a couple dumbbell routines). I filled out "light exercise" 1-3 days a week on the TDEE calculator.

Is it better to over or underestimate your exercise? I"m not really sure what my workout counts for. It doesn't seem like I'm doing much, yet.

Thanks! (People seem to think you know what you're talking about, so I thought I'd ask your opinion! :) )

Just speaking very generally, I think it's best to err on the side of under-estimating your exercise calories much in the same way that it's usually best to err on the side of over-estimating your intake.

As with any method of estimation, you should be mindful of your progress and make adjustments based on results. So for example, if you find that your losses are much slower than expected, you could conclude that you're probably over-estimating expenditure and adjust by slightly reducing intake. Etc. Let me know if that makes sense.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    However, just like any other fad diet, they gained the weight back over the next few weeks once they reverted back to their old eating habits.

THAT is why most of these diets fail. You lose weight by filling yourself with something that is starving your body of something else. You need a balance of fat, carbs, and proteins for a sustained lifestyle. You can cut the carbs a lot (ie. Atkins), but you have to accept that as a lifestyle, not a short-term diet.

Then, when the diet is over, you've lost weight but starved your body of something it wants, so your metabolism is low and your appetite is high. You'll quickly balloon back up and gain back part of the weight.

As a filler and a part of an otherwise-healthy balanced diet, cabbage soup is fine. As a primary food source to replace other things you need, it's going to be short-term and counterproductive in the long run.

If you need something to fill the belly, start with a balanced diet then fill up with something like that. If you get your diet in proper balance and watch your calories, though, you'll very quickly start finding that you're not as hungry, and your body will start being able to tell you what you need. Start exercising as much as you can and you'll find you can "afford" more satisfying foods, and you're well on your way to building calorie-burning muscle and healthy weight loss.

Slow and steady wins the race.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I keep a pot of cabbage soup on the stove just about all the time but only because I love cabbage soup. You can do this and use the soup in between meals to get you through. Using it as your total intake seems over doing it!

Think of it this way... it's a last ditch effort to remove weight from hospital patients so they can have surgery to save their lives. I don't think you're there yet, right?

It's not a jump start effort, it's a last ditch effort!

Btw: So about your foot... feel better soon!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Just speaking very generally, I think it's best to err on the side of under-estimating your exercise calories much in the same way that it's usually best to err on the side of over-estimating your intake.

As with any method of estimation, you should be mindful of your progress and make adjustments based on results. So for example, if you find that your losses are much slower than expected, you could conclude that you're probably over-estimating expenditure and adjust by slightly reducing intake. Etc. Let me know if that makes sense.

I agree with this, with one caveat.

If you've brought your calories into balance (eating approximately the portions of fat, carbs, and proteins) recommended, you aren't losing weight, and you find that you are constantly tired, you have no stamina for good workouts or find workouts honestly unpleasant, having lots of trouble sleeping, or you're hungry ALL THE TIME, then you may want to try raising your calories.

If your energy levels start coming up, there may be a short-term weight gain, but the loss should start back up as your metabolism comes up and your workouts start burning the calories they should again.

But as long as you feel healthy, energetic, sleep OK, and never feel really hungry, you're probably getting plenty of calories. If you're not losing weight under those circumstances, try gradually lowering your caloric intake and see if that starts things up again.

The only way your body can accurately talk to you, though, is if you are getting plenty of water and feeding it all the types of calories it needs in reasonable proportions. Once you do this and start really paying attention, your body will start sending more understandable signals.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If anything claims to cleanse you or detox you, just turn away and pretend you never saw the f*cking thing.

Yes, veggies are good for you, so eat them. Cabbage will cleanse you, with farts, thats about it.

If you want to jumpstart your weightloss, actually start it. Your initial losses will be large and encouraging. If you're looking at fad diets, you are saying to yourself, "I'm not really 100% sure I am committed to this, let me see if I can find something to make me feel like I will be."

It isn't rocket surgery, and if you convince yourself an extreme is the only way to go you will make something like this seem monumentally difficult when it really is just changing how you live your life. Figure out about how many calories you should eat, then eat 500 below that. Move around some, pick up heavy things and put them down again and above all, be patient. Physics and your own biology will take care of the rest.

If you want to look at my diary, feel free. I have been "doing it", for over a month now. Been on MFP for 20 days, and have been a bit unsuccessful. I log everything, and I am usually very honest. I broke my foot about a month ago (1 week after I started my weight loss effort), and have not been able to work out. I just started back at the gym 2 weeks ago... Slowly working back up to where I was.

4lbs of weight loss in 20 days is far from unsuccessful, I would categorize that as successful.

These "hospital" diets are notoriously terrible crash diets. I have done research on a few of them, all claim to be diets used for very obese patients to drop pounds fast, however, none can actually be legitimately linked to any real hospital.

Skip the crash diets, most end up with you putting back on whatever weight you lost, and keep doing it the right way.
  • timetogetskinny1
    Options
    My dad didn't do the diet, but ate the soup and lost over 100lbs (in one year) - he also changed his lifestyle and started running 5 miles a day, 6 days a week. Instead of the diet, he used the soup as a replacement for a snack or one meal a day, it is healthy and filling. When I find myself wanting to snack more or feeling like I am not "full enough", I bring this into my diet and I think it works well. It is all about balance.
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Thanks, that does help. When I adjust down my exercise to "little to none' (sad, I know), the TDEE - 20% ais much closer to the one set by MFP. Just about 100 calories up.