so- the ONE thing about MFP that really bothers me...

Options
carriem73
carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
the way MFP measures food- It drives me absolutely nuts!!! I'm trying to enter a recipe- the recipe calls for CUPS, MFP only measure the ingredients in TABLESPOONS... or CUPS to OUNCES (that one I can usually figure out :smooched: ) or GRAMS to any other measurements!!!!

Not just recipes either- how about macaroni- all the enteries give you UNCOOKED measurement- I cook for a family- I don't just make one serving at a time- I have no idea how my now COOKED pasta measured before I cooked it- I'm serving it COOKED!!!

Am I the only one who gets annoyed by this?

I try to log in food, and end up searching the internet for the grams to ounces conversion!

Very frustrating....

End of rant!!!!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• runfrommygenes
    Options
    As far as I understand, MFP is a community run data base... that means... "MFP" didn't enter those measurements... some OUT THERE DID! So you can too! Cook up one serving and MEASURE it... then put it in the data base... YOU can add the cooked noodles to the other pot when all of them are done... NOT much time wasted at all.... THEN you can make it public if you want to... add it to the data base.... JUST A THOUGH! :-)
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup dry should make a cup when it's cooked.
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I made chocolate chip cookies and measure my 3/4 cup sugar out by the teaspoon. I think it took 28. LOL
  • jgriffin88
    jgriffin88 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It aggravates me as well. I am also cooking for a family and trying to figure out how to enter the right amounts in the recipes drives me nuts. :ohwell:
  • daphnegetnfit
    daphnegetnfit Posts: 175
    Options
    the way MFP measures food- It drives me absolutely nuts!!! I'm trying to enter a recipe- the recipe calls for CUPS, MFP only measure the ingredients in TABLESPOONS... or CUPS to OUNCES (that one I can usually figure out :smooched: ) or GRAMS to any other measurements!!!!

Not just recipes either- how about macaroni- all the enteries give you UNCOOKED measurement- I cook for a family- I don't just make one serving at a time- I have no idea how my now COOKED pasta measured before I cooked it- I'm serving it COOKED!!!

Am I the only one who gets annoyed by this?

I try to log in food, and end up searching the internet for the grams to ounces conversion!

Very frustrating....

End of rant!!!!

:flowerforyou:

AGREE!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    you can google to convert cups to tbsp. simply google 'cups to tbsp'
  • angijunbug
    angijunbug Posts: 205
    Options
    Yes, this drives me crazy too! I do know that there is 3.5 Tbsp in 1/4 cup so I try to convert it & get it as close as I can. :wink:
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    its so irritating but I've found ways around it. Number one way is being specific with searches. If you want to add cooked pasta, add the word "cooked" to your search.

Another is knowing the following: 3 teaspoons to a tablespoon, 4 tablespoons to a quarter cup. That makes it easier to manage the dumb measurements that get put in there.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    The dry vs cooked ingredients things does get on my nerves. No wonder I never get it right! I measure what's on the plate, not before hand. *eyeroll*

For the other, I use this site: http://www.onlineconversion.com/
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I cook for my family too, but I generally put what i've made into the recipy setting, this allows you to put the ingredients you've used for the whole dish, say how many portions it makes, and gives you a breakdown per serving which can be entered into your diary then :-)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's called being precise, honestly. There's no accurate way of knowing the calorie count of cooked pasta, that's why all boxes show uncooked nutrition information. Sorry, but there's no way to know exactly how much water dry pasta will absorb.

As for converting measurements, Google takes 3 seconds. Just type "x measurement in measurement" into google.
    Example: 5 cups in ounces
    Google will spit the answer out immediately.
  • MamaVeronicaWorksOut
    MamaVeronicaWorksOut Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I regularly use this website for nearly everything. And seeing as I am from the USA and live in Germany, where the metric system is used, it's damn near every day that I have to use it.

http://calculateme.com/
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    As far as I understand, MFP is a community run data base... that means... "MFP" didn't enter those measurements... some OUT THERE DID! So you can too! Cook up one serving and MEASURE it... then put it in the data base... YOU can add the cooked noodles to the other pot when all of them are done... NOT much time wasted at all.... THEN you can make it public if you want to... add it to the data base.... JUST A THOUGH! :-)
    This. it is NOT MFP that enters the information. Other users like yourself do.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I think measuring amounts in cups is an American thing, I measure my food in grams as this is what my scale measures as. I have no idea what a cup measurement looks like so it would be no help to me at all. You have to remember that this site is used by people all around the world and all these measurements are slightly different (ie: a us pint is not the same as a uk one). I think it does very well for a FREE site that relies on user input :flowerforyou:
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused. I just tried it out and you can put down pasta cooked and there are a whole bunch of listings that come up. I agree, I tend to use the my recipe tab and have a lot entered. I tend to divide the cooked recipe into 1/2 or 1 cup servings. It's not terribly difficult to do. If you have the time, and a little patience, it only takes about 15 minutes to do.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Pasta and meat make me a little crazy with cooked vs uncooked weight.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    on the cooked pasta point - if you type in macaroni cooked then you'll find it. i never use dry measurements.:huh:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I measure forthe family. I don't find it hard at all. I will make 3 servings of pasta, as an example. When it's cooked, we each get a third. Easy-peasy.
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    cooked pasta weighs about 2 times dry weight, so 100 gm cooked is 50 gm dry. It can vary a bit based on the type of pasta, but it is close.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i wish there was a way to make foods "favorites" - it has recent and my foods but its not the same as tagging something in the portion that you use. Its the one feature it really needs.