Asthma runners, I have a question!

Options
Do you carry your rescue inhaler on runs? What do you do with it? I could have used a hit this morning, but I didn't have it with me and I am thinking that I could get in trouble without it. Fanny pack? Pocket?

Also what do you do with your ipod?

Replies

• luv2run
    luv2run Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My 10 year old has asthma and runs and we dont carry his inhaler with us but, so far he has never had any problems with it flaring up while running but, I often thought I should carry it with us just in case, Sometimes running shorts have small pockets on the inside that your inhaler might fit in not sure how comfy that would be or they do sell belts with a small pockets to store small items,( I use a fuel belt) and for your ipod you can probably buy an armband to slide it in, I just have a regular mp3 but I have it in an armband and it works great.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I don't carry it with me - I just take a couple hits before I leave the house. I run in my subdivision though, so I'm never more than a 5 minute walk from the house.
    You could tuck it into your sports bra - that's where I put my phone when I run (trashy, but effective).
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes I carry it, especially on long runs. I will take a couple of puffs before I start. Usually carry it in the pocket of the hand water carrier I use or in a waist band belt - the Spibelt works really well and they have one with two pockets so one for the inhaler and one for the ipod and it is so light. Occasionally carry it in my bra. Once on a run a women in our group (who uses the same inhaler) really needed a hit and was grateful I had mine - she does carry hers now. Breathing is a good thing!
  • Buettner22
    Buettner22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I carry mine on long runs i just put it in the strap of my sports bra so its right there if i need it. and for my ipod ive got a armband to carry it. Good luck running!
  • Kwika
    Kwika Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    A little secret I read about in RR magazine a number of years ago is this. Before your run or race. Do one puff about an hour before and then one about fifteen minutes before and that will help your lungs be ready for the rigors of running. Doing this, I have not had to use my inhaler on runs. I do, however, always carry it with me. I use a fanny pack. As I have to carry all the other stuff like keys, bus pass, ID, water, etx, I use the fanny pack. I am going to be getting a new camelback because mine leaks but I will still use the fanny for carrying all my stuff including my inhaler.