Pain Question

amie1004
amie1004 Posts: 65 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been doing Couch to 5K....today I decided to do 2 days in a row since I had been feeling pretty good (great idea, huh?) . Now, my left chin HURTS when I walk...its like a stabbing pain.
I figure I shouldn't run in it tomorrow, obviously, but should I wait until there is NO pain to run again? Also, other than pain meds, is there anything I can do to make it feel better or heal faster? It feels like its more in the bone than in a muscle if this makes sense...

Thanks in advance for any advice! The wealth of knowledge and support on these boards is incredible!:flowerforyou:

Take Care,
Amie

Replies

• ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    sounds like shin splints and stretching before you exercise really helps with this.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    I agree, sounds like shin splints.

I've read that either stretch calves real good.
    Or
    Get new shoes.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    If you want to be able to run tomorrow, try icing every 20 min. After 24 hours. Heat it. I use to get them when pushing my body to far before it was ready. I would suggest doing a day of cross training and let it heal.

How are your shoe's? The wrong shoes can cause you problems too.
  • RICE.

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

Shin splints are wicked hard to get rid of once you get them. Shoes matter a whole lot, you'll want something that doesn't allow your heel to torque inward on your stride. And if they're old, they won't support you effectively enough. If you're running on concrete, it's also advisable to stop...start using trails or engineered track surfaces.
    Exercises can help some people, you can find them anywhere on the net...the alphabet and toe ups against resistance, or just toe tapping--some say.
    That said, shin splints won't go away...or get much better unless you stop running to let them heal, then start again lightly with proper shoes.
    My orthopaedic surgeon also advises that if you're over 60 lbs overweight, you shouldn't be running yet at all, as it places 3X your body weight in pressure on your knees, ankles, hips, and so on.
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    shin splints, my son was an athlete who won a scholarship, Arch support for your feet is very important. during periods of pain from shin splints Tape( with white tape over 1 inch wide) your arches and achilles heals in an ace bandage fashion and use Ice on your shins! Take an anti inflammatory like tylenol or Advil till symptoms go away. Support your feet with good arch support is key to relief! Good luck!
  • amie1004
    amie1004 Posts: 65 Member
    Thanks to everyone for the great advice! I think I will take tomorrow off of running for sure and see how it feels after that.
    I have shoes I got at a running store - Brooks Adrenaline. I got them awhile ago, but haven't used them much.
    I'll be trying ice/heat and stretching and hope that helps!

Thanks again!:happy:
This discussion has been closed.