Affordable alternatives to crossfit?

Options
TheLaser
TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
Hey MFP, I need some advice!

I want to shake up my routine a little and have been thinking about joining crossfit. But the price tag at the gym here is $200/mo for 2 sessions/wk, with an upfront FOUR MONTH COMMITMENT. Four months? I don't even know if I like this and I have to commit for four months? And the cheapskate in me is not sure that crossfit offers is worth that much money. I understand the owners have to make enough to cover their costs, but I'm not sure this is right for me or my budget. Plus I'm already paying a lot for a masters swim team.

So I'm hoping you can suggest some solid alternatives. I'm already in competitive shape (just did a 25k trail race and came in 6th, swim every day with a masters team, etc). But I have poor flexibility and I dislike stretching, and I don't do weight training & have no background in it.

The question is: would a athlete with my profile be better served by joining a pilates studio & finding some kind of weight training class? And are there weight training classes available without paying for a full gym membership?
Or can you recommend some other course of action?

THANKS SO MUCH!

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I would just find a basic gym (one that has free weights) and join. Mine cost me $20/mo. Then find a weight training program that suits your fitness and goals and go at it.

The cost was the main detractor for Crossfit for me as well. We have the same price here with an additional $150 for an "on ramp" class. I couldn't stomach spending $950 for it (4 months) when I can spend $80 and still get a brutal workout.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Have you considered maybe doing Crossfit online? A friend of mine started doing Crossfit in his garage, 3 years later he's a coach.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have thought about doing something independently, but I so dislike stretching and doing weights that I don't think I'd follow through with it without the pressure and competition that a live class would offer. Maybe that would be a good option once I have a little more background in stretching & lifting.

A basic gym membership might do it. I tried a trial membership at a Y a few blocks from my house, and the workouts were so pathetic. Not geared towards people who already are athletes, and I'm afraid of ending up again in that situations.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You could also just put Crossfit in your budget or go negotiate a different price for yourself. See if they are willing to come down to accomodate you. Or atleast see if they have a trail offer.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    Find a black iron gym. Lift, push, pull, and sprint.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    There are TONS of free routines and exercise sites online.

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/10-best-workout-videos-youtube?page=9 <-- Here is a link to 10 free workout sites that can be found online. I am sure if you 'google' then you will be able to find sites that offer Crossfit as well. I personally use Bodyrock. They are a great site.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Perhaps at your gym there are like-minded people who would want a serious workout with weights. If you post a notice or something, you could design your own. I have a CrossFit membership and a Y membership, although I'm pretty new at CrossFit (first month). I love it. I'm not as athletic as you are, but I am competitive. I bike and run and exercise a minimum of 10 hours per week.

Also, the Y classes vary incredibly. Different instructors/times offer incredibly varied interpretations of the same "class." For example, my Spin instructor is geared towards racing Ironman races. On Tuesday and Thursday, she pushes us in different aerobic zones and all winter long the workouts were aimed at improving race time during the season. On Saturday, I take a different Spin class and while it is still a good workout, it is much less intense. I guess what I'm trying to say is try different times. You may be really surprised.

I went to CrossFit because I was tired of doing weight workouts by myself either at home or at the Y where everyone walks around with their iPods in their ears and there is little interaction. I craved the atmosphere I get during Spin classes where we all know each other and it's motivating/competitive.
  • BBmaddie
    Options
    Found this on the Internet: http://athleticworkoutreview.com/category/reviews

I'm giving MaxWorkout a try, and so far, it works pretty well!!
  • blandrick
    Options
    If you're hell-bent on doing Crossfit, try crossfit football.

http://www.crossfitfootball.com/

The programming is written by a former NFL player. I've heard many, MANY good things about it. You get some barbell strength work most days, and then your typical Crossfit type "metcon" work. It's what I'm going to move to once I've exhausted Starting Strength.

If you're not already strong, I suggest doing Starting Strength. Being strong makes doing Crossfit much, much easier. It's much quicker to learn to run than to learn to squat 300.
  • goldlion0
    Options
    I attended Crossfit classes for about 1 yr or so. I decided it was getting too expensive for me and now I simply perform crossfit-like workouts at my local gym. I get most of my daily workouts from:
    www.crossfit.com (watch all the videos before performing the exercises)
    www.wodshop.com

Although anyone would benefit from 1 month's worth of classes, I'd say it really isn't necessary. You can simply watch all the vids on CF.com and learn from there. But be careful as most movements are technically difficult if you don't have a good foundation and you will need to scaled down all the routines significantly.

Ever tried finding a partner on Craigslist? You might find someone that is well versed in CF routines and philosophy.

Good luck and don't get hurt!
  • greena
    greena Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think that affiliate is charging too much money. I just joined a Crossfit in May here in my town for $100 for training, $100 per month ($80 with a firefighter discount, since my husband is one).

That said, it's the best thing I've done. As a former athlete, I was doing my own workouts in the gym, but really craved a group atmosphere. But I couldn't find a group class that didn't leave me bored after two weeks. And, I love the WOD concept - if I can't make my regular 7 a.m. class, I can go anytime during the day and join up with folks doing the WOD. That really helps as a work-at-home mom.

Is there another affiliate in your town? Or a Crossfit-style gym that isn't affiliated? Maybe you can go in and do some negotiating - tell them you'll do non-peak hours.

If you really, really need a change (I know I REALLY did after Baby #2) I say just plunk the $$ down for four months. I had no energy, felt really depressed, and dragging, now after a month of this I can't wait to get up in the morning and hit the gym. I have energy to spare. It's awesome.