advice needed

Options
Hi all.
So i am trying to lose a bit of weight, but lose more inches. I keep seeing everyone always saying 'Eat more calories' to others, but i too have the mind set eat less to lose more. I workout to Jillian Michael's 5-6 days a week, but haven't really been noticing a difference. any Suggestions on what i should be doing? my dairy is open and I am 5'11 and 180 (the last time i weighed a couple weeks ago...scale is broken now) if that helps at all. Any advice, within limits, is truly appreciated. I am a single mom at the moment and work 50 hours a weeks so i cant spend hours at the gym and/or eating clean isn't always an option. Thanks!!!

Replies

• Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing that lifting heavy is the best for losing inches, but haven't started that myself yet. I just started strength training last month.

I also think measuring yourself and/or using a tape measure on a regular basis is important. ...and showing your kids that eating healthy can be done. Maybe some meal prep on your days off. I used to cook all my food on Sundays, for example and freeze it for use throughout the week. It takes practice, but you can make sure you have good options.
  • CristlNothem
    CristlNothem Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do cook dinner almost every night and freeze half if it makes enough. I try to be very conscious about what i make and the calories in it. I then eat the leftovers for lunch instead of going out to get fast food during work. I want to start lifting, but i think that will have to wait another month until i am back with my husband so i wont be working so much and have help with the little man again
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Based on your estimated bmr and the fact you do JM you should be eating around 1800 calories total. You would not eat your exercise calories as i figured that into your tdee calculation. The problem i have with JM programs is they are highly cardio baswd and if you want to shrink your waistline and cut fat, you dont do that with cardio. You so it with heavy strength training. You should be aiming to lift enough weight that you fail at 8-12 reps. If you want a program to cut fat then drop JM and grt chalean extreme or p90x. They concentrate more on resistance training and less on cardio.
  • JoyfullySimpleFit
    Options
    You want to lost inches more then weight which follows along a weight training regime. I would recommend ChaLEAN extreme from beachbody. It incorporates lifting as well as cardio. It is not terribly costly and you can do it in your own home so that when the kids are asleep or whenever you have the time you can pop it in and GO to it. The videos are not time consuming either.
    I have done that program and it really works as long as you push your limits. And the fat% will amaze you (again if you are pushing yourself and not just going thru the motions).
    If you'd like any other information about it message me I will be happy to help. But if a new program is not in your future, start by using soup cans and lifting that way. Also for legs you could start with squats and try adding resistance with holding something while you squat.
    Hope that helps you. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You want to lost inches more then weight which follows along a weight training regime. I would recommend ChaLEAN extreme from beachbody. It incorporates lifting as well as cardio. It is not terribly costly and you can do it in your own home so that when the kids are asleep or whenever you have the time you can pop it in and GO to it. The videos are not time consuming either.
    I have done that program and it really works as long as you push your limits. And the fat% will amaze you (again if you are pushing yourself and not just going thru the motions).
    If you'd like any other information about it message me I will be happy to help. But if a new program is not in your future, start by using soup cans and lifting that way. Also for legs you could start with squats and try adding resistance with holding something while you squat.
    Hope that helps you. :)

Resistance bands are also cheap.

Ps- sorry for all the typos. Damn smart phones.