Door way pullup bars that don't damage doorways?

Options
doorki
doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
Anyone know of a good doorway pullup bar that doesn't damage doorways? I know of the total gym and pro fit but I hear that they can damage the door frame. Anyone have any real life experience with these? A little info on me, I'm now around 200 and live in a house built in 1930 with old school plaster. Thanks in advance for any info.

Replies

• Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump
  • doorki
    Options
    anyone? =(
  • doorki
    Options
    hi
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    If you're using it right it puts the pressure on the frame itself, not the plaster/drywall around it.

The only damage I've done with mine is trying to use it on a doorway my husband installed instead of one of the ones that came done with the house. Theirs was much sturdier- his broke!
  • doorki
    Options
    If you're using it right it puts the pressure on the frame itself, not the plaster/drywall around it.

The only damage I've done with mine is trying to use it on a doorway my husband installed instead of one of the ones that came done with the house. Theirs was much sturdier- his broke!

Thanks. You definitely eliminated two doorways I was thinking of using lol.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I have one of those iron gym things... it never occurred to me that it might damage the door... now I'm afraid to use it... not that I can yet... but I'm afraid to even consider it now.
  • doorki
    Options
    Don't be afraid. I'll let you know how it works out lol.....no pun intended.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    har har har:drinker:
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't know the make of mine but I bought it at Walmart. ( $40 ) It has black bars covered in blue padding. Works great and it only damaged the wall when I left it in place and one of my kids went to shut the door!#@$!#!.... but that was fault.
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I bought this one at Walmart 2 weeks ago and its works great. No problem at all with it. I see it here for $29 but paid only $18 for it at my local store.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/As-Seen-On-TV-Iron-Gym-Xtreme-Workout-Bar-Pull-Up-Bar/13032424

Hope this helps.
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have the Iron Gym one and its been fine even in my cheaply built house. If the pads that rest on the door moulding got damaged then I bet the bar would create indentions. The good thing about this one is that the weight is dristibuted between the moulding backed up by the door frame on the front side and the wall above the door jam (where the header I think its called should reinforce it).
  • adriany9
    adriany9 Posts: 32
    Options
    Just read bout this yesterday and its bloody genius...

Get yourself 2 g clamps I think they are called from a local DIY store, they are shaped like a g and have a screw to tighten them up. Put them above the dorr frame and away you go you now have 2 portable pullup chin up thingys lol
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I have one of those iron gym things... it never occurred to me that it might damage the door... now I'm afraid to use it... not that I can yet... but I'm afraid to even consider it now.

This. I put it up, and it didn't do any damage. I try to get on that ***** every day!
  • Bobbydigitalx
    Options
    I use the Iron gym one aswell! no damage. Dont pay more then 40$ for it though! ive seen them range from 40-100 so beware!
  • cws3e
    cws3e Posts: 1
    Options
    I've used several different bars in several different places, every time it has dented the door frame. I hear you can put a towel or something under the place where the bar pushes against the door fram and that should help. Just make sure the towel isn't too thick or the whole thing could slip off and fall.
  • zsgreenwell
    zsgreenwell Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've used several different bars in several different places, every time it has dented the door frame. I hear you can put a towel or something under the place where the bar pushes against the door fram and that should help. Just make sure the towel isn't too thick or the whole thing could slip off and fall.

Good idea, Mine dented the frame as well. I was looking for a wider one because the doors are all 3' wide and the iron gym wont fit.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    My son has one and our house was built in 1979. Very well constructed, though. My DF has done chin ups, pull ups, etc before and he's 215 lbs. Hasn't damaged it yet.
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this post :) I was looking at this the other day...Now I have to go and buy it! LOL:laugh:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with them but with the beautiful wood doors I have in my house there's just no way I'd use one.

So I bought something similar to this

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Sunny-Power-Tower/8874486/product.html?refccid=7CGIOGFPW4DZBQ2NSUKMDOBXGE&searchidx=1

If you have the room and the funds, that's what I'd suggest, or find a playground with monkey bars.
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with them but with the beautiful wood doors I have in my house there's just no way I'd use one.

So I bought something similar to this

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Sunny-Power-Tower/8874486/product.html?refccid=7CGIOGFPW4DZBQ2NSUKMDOBXGE&searchidx=1

If you have the room and the funds, that's what I'd suggest, or find a playground with monkey bars.

Ohhhhhh I like this better!:happy: