Is my metabolism dead?

Options
Hi. I'm new to MFP and am really discouraged and looking for any input/advice.

I'm 42 and about 4 yrs ago I lost 20 lbs (170 to 150) and have kept it off with no dieting or excercise, only fluctuating 3lbs, up or down. I decied in March to lose the next 25 that I need to be at a good weight for my height (about 5' but built thick/curvy). I did the Advocare 24 day challenge and ate perfectly while following their advised menu. I had no sugar, processed food, no eating out - nothing. I went from 153 to 150. I was so disappointed because I wast eating so healthy but saw no change, no inches, nothing.

I started back last week walking/jogging and tracking my calories (Thurs/Fri that I've logged is basically what I would eat normally). I'm seeing that I'm barely eating 1100 calories and to eat more, I'm going to have to eat on purpose for calorie sake and not because I'm hungry. I have one cup of coffee in the morning, but that's it. Other than that, it's water constantly - always. (and yes, yesterday was a really sucky day.)

I'm so discouraged. It seems no matter how good or how bad I eat, my weight literally NEVER changes...and that would be cool - if I was at my goal weight of 125.

I plan to start Jillian's 30 Day Shred tomorrow to see if I can at least shed some inches.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to MFP and am really discouraged and looking for any input/advice.

I'm 42 and about 4 yrs ago I lost 20 lbs (170 to 150) and have kept it off with no dieting or excercise, only fluctuating 3lbs, up or down. I decied in March to lose the next 25 that I need to be at a good weight for my height (about 5' but built thick/curvy). I did the Advocare 24 day challenge and ate perfectly while following their advised menu. I had no sugar, processed food, no eating out - nothing. I went from 153 to 150. I was so disappointed because I wast eating so healthy but saw no change, no inches, nothing.

I started back last week walking/jogging and tracking my calories (Thurs/Fri that I've logged is basically what I would eat normally). I'm seeing that I'm barely eating 1100 calories and to eat more, I'm going to have to eat on purpose for calorie sake and not because I'm hungry. I have one cup of coffee in the morning, but that's it. Other than that, it's water constantly - always. (and yes, yesterday was a really sucky day.)

I'm so discouraged. It seems no matter how good or how bad I eat, my weight literally NEVER changes...and that would be cool - if I was at my goal weight of 125.

I plan to start Jillian's 30 Day Shred tomorrow to see if I can at least shed some inches.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Its hard to tell if your metabolism is dead without a test but i can tell you that there is a good chance you arent eating enough. You dont have much to lose so you need to feed yourself so your body doesnt conserve. Based on the estimates you should aim for 1550 calories a day while doing JM. You wont need to eat back exercise calories as i included your exercise in your tdee.

Also high calories doesnt mean eating unhealthy. I eat 3000+ calories a day and its healthy. You just need to eat higher calorie fooda like protein shakes, peanut butter, avocado or nuts.
  • amccall69
    amccall69 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks...I'll start shooting for 1550 calories. I do like the Advocare protein shakes, so I'll start to incorporate them in my mornings.

This site has really helped push me to try again and not settle.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    no offense but this question just made my day :laugh:
    the whole fluff about death/ damaged metabolism is always overdone for nothing. It's all about chemical reactions inside the body, not any mysterious daemon that would live inside you and help you in weight loss.

The more you are messing with your intakes, the more you make those reaction less able to perform as they should, no more.
    Eat more, and you would resuscitate it
  • amccall69
    Options
    Razique,

While it was said more tongue-in-cheek than anything, the fact that for 4 years I have basically gone willy-nilly on my eating (including acohol, sweets, take-out - everything) and then switched it up to eating good and seeing, bascially no change what-so-ever in my weight is what made me ask that...

If I was going up 10 down 5 up 5 down 6, then I could understand it...but even in Sept after I had a hysterectomy and was on bedrest and light eating, I only went down like 4. 146 is the lowest I've been in 4 yrs.

I want to do this the right way....
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I don't think you know what "metabolism" means.
  • amccall69
    Options
    Ok, then educate me! Please! That's why I'm here and asked....
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The problem is that the expression that you titled your post with is a misnomer. The metabolism is constant. It goes fast or it goes slow, but it doesn't die. It would seem that your metabolism is pretty slow right now. I would also recommend eating more, but more than just that I would recommend calorie cycling. You do need to give your body enough to maintain normal functioning, but at the same time, you have been slow for awhile. It is the deficit shock that helps to speed it up. Calorie cycling is kind of like when you pump the gas while turning over your engine. I know it's a terrible analogy, but it works.

Examine your activity through the week. On the days that you are most active, eat a few hundred more calories. On the days that you are less active, you can eat less. I hope this helps. :happy:
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Ok, then educate me! Please! That's why I'm here and asked....

Metabolism is a series of chemical reactions that allows your body to function. Your metabolism can't "die," unless you're dead.

This is why the concept of "starvation mode" makes no logical sense.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    This my opinion only and it might be bull**** but in my experience, my body seem to have set point where it is comfortable and the only way to make things move is to do things vastly different. 30ds might do it for you.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    This my opinion only and it might be bull**** but in my experience, my body seem to have set point where it is comfortable and the only way to make things move is to do things vastly different. 30ds might do it for you.

Not B.S. at all

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/set-points-settling-points-and-bodyweight-regulation-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/set-points-settling-points-and-bodyweight-regulation-part-2.html
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Not B.S. at all

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/set-points-settling-points-and-bodyweight-regulation-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/set-points-settling-points-and-bodyweight-regulation-part-2.html

Hmmm... thanks for these. Need to read them.
  • FHOLMESVAN
    FHOLMESVAN Posts: 24
    Options
    you're at the right place to ask for help and information. I'm sorry some people have to have a smart *kitten* reply, when you are only asking for info. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    you're at the right place to ask for help and information. I'm sorry some people have to have a smart *kitten* reply, when you are only asking for info. Good luck!:flowerforyou:

It's just... you know, there are HUNDREDS of threads from the basics (how weigh loss works, acronyms, plateaus) to advanced ones around, FAQs, Q&A, plans....
    just saying
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Most of the information that people bring to these forums is already out there on the internet for the world to read. The 'smart *kitten* reply' as you put it is pretty tame given the veritable lashing that most people get. If you didn't have anything to add to the topic, then why did you bother posting. Some would call that instigating.
  • amccall69
    Options
    Apologize for starting a debate... I was sincerely asking for input on ideas for what to try since I felt stuck and maybe someone had a different approach. I've search, read, saw my Dr...and mostly, none of it makes much sense to me, that's why I asked. I understand and respect that there are many, many others that nutrition/fitness and how it works just makes sense...

I'll keep looking and experiment to see if I can get different results.

Thanks for the info above.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Ask your doctor for a referral or another appointment to explain your lab results and guide you in the right direction.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer, I can't recommend eating breakfast enough. It kick starts your metabolism for the day. Absolutely essential, your coffee in the AM is not a meal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Apologize for starting a debate... I was sincerely asking for input on ideas for what to try since I felt stuck and maybe someone had a different approach. I've search, read, saw my Dr...and mostly, none of it makes much sense to me, that's why I asked. I understand and respect that there are many, many others that nutrition/fitness and how it works just makes sense...

I'll keep looking and experiment to see if I can get different results.

Thanks for the info above.

If anything, go to a dietician or a nutritionist if you are looking for weight loss advice or a plan. The majority of doctors have very little knowledge of nutrition and only take one or two classes in it. Nutrition is just as much of a specialty as G.I or Cardiology.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    As a personal trainer, I can't recommend eating breakfast enough. It kick starts your metabolism for the day. Absolutely essential, your coffee in the AM is not a meal.

Nice first post, you'll fit it well here.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Metabolism is a series of chemical reactions that allows your body to function. Your metabolism can't "die," unless you're dead.

This is why the concept of "starvation mode" makes no logical sense.
    [/quote]
    thank you for this cos its my argument, its what goes into the mouth, if we eat less than we need the body will use stored fat to carry on. years ago a doc said to me ....... people never came out of belson fat.