Any former Weight Watchers followers?

Options

Replies

• jforferris01
    jforferris01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I always are on and off with Weight Watchers. I loved the support of meetings but sometimes it gets to be the same boring thing so I usually leave. I actually left weight watchers went to a study for weight loss in my state and then from there...they sent me to here. This sight has alot of features like weight watchers and the best part is....yep its free....Keep up the good work. There is alot of stories and pictures and support here...I love it...
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm on WW and MFP, I like both of them, I won't continue WW after my 4 months though.
  • BoomBoomPow77
    BoomBoomPow77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am currently a memeber of WW. I started in January and have lost 19lbs so far. I joined MFP a couple days ago because I am curious of my calorie intake and want to compare my pro points allowance and with my calorie allowance. My little science experiment.
  • kaitiebeth89
    kaitiebeth89 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm in WW right watchers right now. Started on April 16. In three weeks I've lost 13.2 pounds. Yes it is expensive, but I find that weighing in front of a stranger helps keeps me more accountable and more likely to stick with it, more than just weighing in on here (which I still do). But that's just me and I know different things work for people. Plus I weigh in on Monday nights, so it helps me stay more on track during the weekends. I also like really like my leader and all the people there. I love it when people share their stories. I know people share their success on here, but there's something about seeing it in person that is cool.
  • kikiandluda
    Options
    I had started on here first and then I joined weight watchers while they were having a sale. I never used it. I had the app but because I did not have internet on my phone, i could not access anything. With the MyFitnessPal app, even though internet connection is not available, I am still able to log in and track what I eat. I also noticed that weight watchers seemed to be a little bit confusing as it did not have things that i ate listed in their database. I had to always log on to a computer and create my food. i did not like it especially since i dont like logging on to my computer everyday. then i came to the conclusion that MFP is just like weight watcher except it's FREE!!! So I decided to stick with this and I have lost more weight than I could have on weight watcers.
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Lifetime member here from the "really old days". Went back when they to re-do what I'd undone and the point system was in use. Found the points harder to figure out and just couldn't get committed. Found MFP and actually think it's better with all the Friends on the site that have helped me with questions and have been supportive. Not so much at a WW meeting outside of the weeking cheering session.

Also, the fact that this is a free site paid for my Fitbit in less than 2 months.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I did WW and found the old points system better than the new one. Although I was doing well on the new pp, our leader quit and the replacement lady although nice,it just wasnt the same. Weightloss stopped, I got frustrated and decided to quit paying...... I recently joined MFP and really enjoy it. People are supportive, theres great info on here and I'm forced to be accountable to myself. So far so good :)
    L.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I did WW online while also doing MFP. I let my membership to WW run out. I was thinking of joining and attending meetings but I see that so many people lost and then regained weight. What gives with that? Is everyone going back to their old eating habits after WW? I see that someone is a life member. How does that work?
  • shannairl
    shannairl Posts: 65
    Options
    I switched last week from Weight Watchers to myfittnesspal because I just felt like I needed a change. So far I really like it and this week I lost 4.2 pounds :happy: I know that is a bit much, but I'm sure it's because it's my first week on something new and the losing will start to slow down. Just curious if anyone else has switched and if so how you feel this is better (or not) from that Weight Watchers.

I did Weight Watchers for 7 months last year and I got SO sick of it, I found it far too restrictive and the more I learned about healthy eating, the more I realised that on Weight Watchers, you can eat any kind of crap as long as you're under points. I quit, I did nothing for a few months, I gained 10lbs because I fell back into bad habits. I absolutely LOVE MyFitnessPal - I've been following it properly now for 3 weeks and I'm down 6lbs already. I had a big loss the first week too, mostly water weight I think, but I love how this encourages healthy eating and exercise and bettering yourself. With Weight Watchers, everything was about that damn scales. I know people who used to starve themselves for two days before their weigh-ins and then hit McDonalds afterwards. How can that be healthy! I'm not entirely knocking it, I did lose 39lbs while on it, but I think it took me a long time to realise that it was ME doing the work, not the class. I used to completely pig out on the weekends using my 'spare' points, and with this, I don't do that because there shouldn't be any spare points. Everyone's entitled to a day off, but I think this is better because it's not actively encouraged every week.

I still have to train my brain to stop pointing everything, but I'm getting there ;-)

Plus, MFP is FREE :)
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I used to be on WW but I hated counting my cals on a little book plus I lost 0 weight! The sessions wasnt flexible with my time and it took me 3 weeks to lose 1lb I'm like wtf? Finally the members was supportive but I LOVE mfp the people here are great I actually lost weight I just see a difference idk its strange.
  • umpahlumpah
    Options
    Hi, only on my second day on here. But, I came away from WW when it changed to the new points system. I wasn't losing at all and they seemed very unwilling to help me online and there were a lot of women in the same situation as me when I read the forums. I had just had a hysterectomy, on HRT and nothing seemed to be working. A friend of mine recommended using this site after losing over 4 stone. I'm willing to give anything a try! I love the way everything is laid out simply so you can see what foods straight away are letting you down. I've planned an entire week's worth of dinners on here and printed them out so my other half and I can stick to it. A couple of times a week I have 2 tins of G&T as a treat and I'm very unwilling to let this go. Guess I'll be on lettuce leaves and egg whites those days! Good luck everyone!!
  • RNZaffiro
    RNZaffiro Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi everyone - this is my first week not being on WW. I've had great success losing 85 pounds in 2 years with them. However, I needed to change it up and now my employer is offering a "choose to lose" program which only costs $20 for the entire 13 week session. It incorporates 13 sessions with a personal trainer, dietician appts. and 5 group meetings. We will be weighing in weekly and I am very excited about the change. I wasn't very motivated with the last WW session at work and that is totally on me. I needed to shake things up a bit, and I was so happy to find My Fitness Pal. I never used e-tools for WW because it wasn't user friendly. This is a different story - I absolutely love it. Enjoy the day everyone!
  • shannairl
    shannairl Posts: 65
    Options
    I did WW online while also doing MFP. I let my membership to WW run out. I was thinking of joining and attending meetings but I see that so many people lost and then regained weight. What gives with that? Is everyone going back to their old eating habits after WW? I see that someone is a life member. How does that work?

I can't speak for anyone else but personally, when I was doing WW, I felt accountable to my leader. If I had a pig-out day and I knew I'd gained, I'd skip the class that week. The minute I left, I was no longer accountable to anyone and decided to play the "oh I've lost loads, I can afford to take a couple months off "- WRONG!!

I find that MFP encourages me to be accountable to myself every single day and I know that when I look at my food diaries for the first two or three days when I was just logging, they are ATROCIOUS. Now I feel proud of my food and exercise diaries because they show how my attitude to food has changed.

Seriously in love with this site, best invention ever.
  • bsjg1995
    bsjg1995 Posts: 5
    Options
    I found that the "rules" (AKA points system) changed to often for me. I also found that nutritional advice from my peers who were doing things like eating nothing but crackers and beef jerkey for a week when they traveled was not worth the time or money of the program. I followed the second most recent points system and when I had blood work done found out I was malnourished, not enough protein in my diet. This just works better for me. I like that I get a more balanced picture of my eating habits and am doing well with MFP. I am losing weight and entering what I eat as I go makes it easy for me to keep myself in check. I also really like tracking my exercise.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Before I start, I want to say that I've never really had a weight problem....10 - 20 pounds is all I've ever needed to lose. I also have no intention of bashing WW - different things work for different people.

I followed weight watchers a few years ago, lost 12 pounds, then gained it all back. I'm sure it works for some people, but not for me. Because I had so little to lose, I only was allowed about 17 or 18 points I think. I found myself starving all the time, and I could blow my extra weekly points in one day. It just wasn't for me. I really love MFP....I love eating better, not worried about how many points something is...watching the calories in and calories out. I think WW might be too much about deficits - which I know some people need. I'm finding that eating more and doing strength training is the best plan for me.
  • flossieflo
    flossieflo Posts: 13
    Options
    i lost 4 stone twice with ww but as soon as they changed to pro points i started to gain weight, so a friend of mine told me about mfp, only into my second week but loving it already
  • Mia627
    Mia627 Posts: 34
    Options
    What a great thread!! I'm a WW lifetime member having lost 50lbs 3 times, before my children and then after the birth of my twins and then the birth of my son. I will say I am very thankful I learned better eating habits before I had children as my children don't know anything else other than whole wheat bread, unsweetened applesauce, skim milk etc.

With that being said I got sick and tired of counting points. This is only my second week on this site as a friend recommended it to me and I absolutely LOVE it. I am really enjoying this program and this way of keeping track of what I'm putting into my body!
  • toxicmikki
    toxicmikki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I did their online program, the old program and the new program. When I was on the old program I lost the weight I wanted to loose quite quickly, slowly gaining it back over the years I went back to WW only to find that their points program changed. After being on the program for over a month I only lost 2 lbs. I found it difficult to stay within my points and not be hungry. A friend told me about MFP and after one week I lost 3 lbs. and wasn't hungry at all. A friend I met on MFP told me the following:

There's a general suspicion that WW changed their program because people who lost what they needed to lose just stopped using the program, and ppl that paid for the mats and knew the formula stopped paying monthly. So they changed it so u lose slower or not at all and people on the onld one would gain a little and come back to meetings.

Then it was clear to me...this had to be the case because there was no other explanation for why I wasn't loosing on WW. I guess it all boils down to $$$. I hope this helps :)
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I switched from WW to MFP because the new PointsPlus system just was not working for me. The P+ calculations just didn't make sense to me like the old Points did, and so I had a very difficult time following the plan.

I am just counting calories now, and I have lost 10 pounds in 4 weeks.

Same here. Hate the new plan. Tried to attend meetings and follow the old plan but it got too frustrating.
  • Laurab_1986
    Laurab_1986 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I joined weight watchers Aug 2011 and have since lost 35.6lb prior to that I have tried and failed many other diets.

Propoints definately works for me and my leader is lovely.

By attending my group I have support and a listening ear
    By tracking propoints I now have control of my portion sizes which I didnt have on Slimming World or MFP alone.

People dont like change but give it a go by paying the monthly subscription keeps my motivation and commitment afterall £19.99 is what I used to spend on chippy 4 times a month.