My knee hates me. Seeking C25k advice

Options
So I've tried C25k twice now. Both times I spent a couple weeks walking and rebuilding up my leg strength before doing week 1. Week 1 goes ok, week 2 goes ok.

But both times by week three my right knee just will NOT handle it and anything besides walking is a no-go. I also got shin splints the first time.

I love the program, but if I keep having this issues is it best just for me to give up on my wanting to run a 5k until I drop another 30-40-60 pounds?

For the record, I'm 28, 5-7 and weigh 295.

Replies

• DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I was having knee pain training for a 5k and it was mostly due to bad running form. I was landing hard on my heels when I ran. I now run landing on my midfoot instead of heel and I don't have knee pain anymore. There's lots of youtube vids on running form. I'm not sure if this is your case or not.

You might want to see a doctor and talk about the stress on your joints and if you should wait to keep training. Pain is not a good sign.

Good luck.
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    I tried the C25K a few times, I hated it for the pain in my knee and shins, the last time I tried I was about your weight, the best way I found to help was to stop and start biking, still a great workout and not near the pain of running.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Seeing your doc is a great idea. Another great idea is to just continue walking and move much much slower through C25K. Maybe your body needs a little bit longer to adjust to the increased work. Try repeating weeks (or days) to slowly allow yourself to build up.

Pain is bad. good for you for recognizing it and stopping before you end up injured and sidelined.
  • johnstegeman
    johnstegeman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this was one of those posts where I was hoping not to get the confirmation of what I already know. I need to see the doc.

Very sickly winter for me and I'm about tired of seeing him, but, gotta get that knee working to reach my goals.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yeah, seeing the doc might be a good idea. :( Other than that, how are your shoes? In good shape or worn down? And what running surface are you on - treadmill or outside on dirt, asphalt or cement?

Some types of knee pain can be combated with specific stretches and icing the knee, so if your doc can pinpoint the problem, you may have that option as well.

I hope you are able to find the answer - c25k program is great, but frustrating if you get sidelined by injury.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for proper running shoes? I was running in a neutral shoe and always had some nagging knee discomfort. Since getting fitted and buying mild stability shoes, I have absolutely no pain.

For what it's worth, I did wait awhile into my weight loss to begin running but I know many who've been running all along without knee/joint pain.