Juice diet... any thoughts?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who did the fruit/veg diet...She ate only fruits and vegetables for a month....She did it as a clense sort of thing...and to her when she was done...she was really proud of herself for the self control and she said she felt great after having done so...

She did mention how hard it was..and that it took a week to get use to. I personally would not do a juice diet...BUT...I don't see any problem with your boyfriend doing it for three weeks like his friend...and then slowly work back in a clean diet....

BTW...I am assuming you mean juicing his vegs and fruits

BTW...I am assuming you mean juicing his vegs and fruits --> yes to this

What happened to your friend when she started eating "normal" again? did she gain weight immediately?

No she didn't...because she ate VERY healthy afterwards...she eats a balanced diet and works out approx 4 to 5 times a week...

I agree with you that he will lose muscle mass though...I have consdiered trying an all fruit/veggie juicing diet,...while adding protein scoops to three of my juice drinks....

SCARY!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to do this.

If he watched some crappy documentary like Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, based on sensationalism and pseudoscience, he's been mislead into believing that crash dieting techniques or toxin removal is a necessary or desirable thing.

In short, you are correct. He is pretty much confused and lacks the direction to do it right.
    Interesting!! I'll get that documentary
    Did you catch the part where he said it's "crappy" and "based on sensationalism and pseudoscience"? :huh:

LOL yes, I did... but there is nothing like a crappy documentary to make you start thinking about what's real/ what's not and make your own judgement, right? As a scientist, the best way I learn is to criticizing with smart arguments

Except that if he's already bought into this juice diet thing, he very well may take the documentary as gospel, as so many people do.

I was at a party Saturday night and had to bite my tongue when someone started spouting crap about Forks Over Knives. Oy.
  • Argent78
    Argent78 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous, but he's a grown man and if he wants to try it, he's going to.

You are right... that's why I'm trying to collect good arguments. But if he want he will do it anyway :(

He is essentially creating a massive calorie deficit and additionally he's drinking instead of eating his food. When you look at it objectively this is basically what he's accomplishing by taking a bunch of fruit and veggies and blending it up as his source of food.

Just ask him to look objectively at it. Does he understand that lean mass losses occur while eating at a deficit, and in the absence of proper protein intake and proper resistance training, a good portion of the weight he loses will be lean mass and not bodyfat?

Does he understand that large deficits require much more precision with food choice?
    Does he understand that rapid decrease in intake will typically cause large losses in fluid weight, that only make the scale go down?
    Does he understand that if he actually wants to look appealing, he is doing himself a disservice by taking this approach?

It absolutely BAFFLES THE *kitten* OUT OF ME how many people fail to take a sensible approach to this game.

I will give your boyfriend a valuable list if I may arrogantly say so:

1) Eat at a moderate deficit. 20% under TDEE is a good starting point.
    2) Consume adequate protein and fat. (1g/lb lean mass in PRO and .35g/lb bodyweight in fat as MINIMUMS)
    3) Lift some weights.
    4) Get rest.
    5) Repeat
    6) And stop looking for gimmicks and stop micromanaging all the other CRAP that doesn't matter.

That's it. Medical conditions and individual intolerances aside, the above is a starting point that for many is also an end point.

THANKS!!!! I'll totally make him read this... coming from me he won't believe it :)
  • Argent78
    Options

If he watched some crappy documentary like Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, based on sensationalism and pseudoscience, he's been mislead into believing that crash dieting techniques or toxin removal is a necessary or desirable thing.

In short, you are correct. He is pretty much confused and lacks the direction to do it right.
    Did you catch the part where he said it's "crappy" and "based on sensationalism and pseudoscience"? :huh:

LOL yes, I did... but there is nothing like a crappy documentary to make you start thinking about what's real/ what's not and make your own judgement, right? As a scientist, the best way I learn is to criticizing with smart arguments

Except that if he's already bought into this juice diet thing, he very well may take the documentary as gospel, as so many people do.

I was at a party Saturday night and had to bite my tongue when someone started spouting crap about Forks Over Knives. Oy.

I know that is sad... but as long as you criticize based on knowledge, you can make a good thing out of it. Lots of people like to blah blah with no fundamentals.. that makes me MAADD
  • Argent78
    Options

Meh. I'd rather spend my money to see "The Avengers" again.

hehe I'll let you know if it worked... or you were right!
  • rml_16
    Options

I know that is sad... but as long as you criticize based on knowledge, you can make a good thing out of it. Lots of people like to blah blah with no fundamentals.. that makes me MAADD

I tried to point out the flaws in the argument using logic and science and even a couple real-world examples, but brainwashed people rarely listen to facts. My bet is that two days in your boyfriend will feel crappy and hungry and give up, anyway.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    1) Eat at a moderate deficit. 20% under TDEE is a good starting point.
    2) Consume adequate protein and fat. (1g/lb lean mass in PRO and .35g/lb bodyweight in fat as MINIMUMS)
    3) Lift some weights.
    4) Get rest.
    5) Repeat
    6) And stop looking for gimmicks and stop micromanaging all the other CRAP that doesn't matter.

That's it. Medical conditions and individual intolerances aside, the above is a starting point that for many is also an end point.

EDIT: Seriously if he would just do the above list, he will make great progress and it's very likely he'll enjoy it along the way, and actually get to eat food and enjoy that too.
    There is a reason why this plan won't be a best-seller or "documentary" - it's too simple.

If you added: 7) only wear organic shoe laces, and backed that up with lots of studies and testimonials, then you might get rich.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Help! My boyfriend has maybe 3 pounds "overweight" and he is obsessed with starting the juice diet, because a friend of his did it for 3 weeks, and lost 20 pounds
    Your problem is not that you have a boyfriend who is obsessed with this diet, your problem is that you're stuck with a boyfriend who is fundamentally credulous.

Over the years that is going to manifest itself in a LOT more ways than his deciding to do a short term diet.
  • Argent78
    Options
    Help! My boyfriend has maybe 3 pounds "overweight" and he is obsessed with starting the juice diet, because a friend of his did it for 3 weeks, and lost 20 pounds
    Your problem is not that you have a boyfriend who is obsessed with this diet, your problem is that you're stuck with a boyfriend who is fundamentally credulous.

Over the years that is going to manifest itself in a LOT more ways than his deciding to do a short term diet.

Sadly... I know!
  • lbrooks00
    lbrooks00 Posts: 2
    Options
    I tried it for two days and had terrible stomach issues due to the amount of "food" I was ultimately taking in. Won't do that again.
  • gbg49229
    gbg49229 Posts: 57
    Options
    a lot of people will beat cancer with a juicing diet, there is a lot of information out there on it as well with just a little research! best bet is to see a holistic doctor and have them go over everything with you! one thing that is for sure, there are a lot of haters and people that want you to do the same thing they do! I say if he researches it and feels its right for him, good luck! But if it does work for him it may not work for others! it is a vegan diet with out chewing your food. And I will say this, anyone who says it dont work for cancer, along with fixing many other problems is full of **** up to there ears!
  • rednelber
    rednelber Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow, I love the MFP site with its tools and such, but most of the responses given in this thread are truly laughable. So much opinion thrown around with a very obvious lack of study behind them. Not enough protein from juicing?! LOL!

Please, do this community a good service by actually knowing what you're talking about before disparaging the efforts of others. People, in general, aren't stupid. There's a hell of a lot more behind people's decision to start juicing than a video documentary.

Look it up, don't make it up.

This post is not an invitation to debate the issue, especially since it's obvious that minds have been cemented in myth. Do your own DEEP research, stop making things up based on limited information. Juicers are not stupid people, you know. A lot of you should be ashamed, especially on a site such as this.

To the original poster, what do you actually KNOW about juicing to be discouraging your mate? What effort have you made to actually LEARN about the subject? Do you think your mate is stupid? What might he think of you, concerning all of this?
  • kabbit42
    kabbit42 Posts: 85
    Options
    I think when a lot of people juice, they end up doing it wrong as part of a fad diet and have ill effects. Occasionally I have juicing weekends and I always order all of my produce ahead of time and I'm always amazed at how many pounds of vegetables I consume. Even if you have just one glass a day instead of fasting, it is a great way to work dark leafy greens you might otherwise not eat into your diet.

If your boyfriend is set on doing it, I would help him research different recipes because there are ways to balance out your macros. Also make a list of everything he needs before he starts and buy it ahead of time. The volume/cost might deter him anyway. And going from never have juiced before to a three week crash diet is stupid. Start by adding a daily juice in the morning and then get him to try it for a weekend. Balancing his consumption with exertion is key and it'll mean he is less likely to crash and burn.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Wow, I love the MFP site with its tools and such, but most of the responses given in this thread are truly laughable. So much opinion thrown around with a very obvious lack of study behind them. Not enough protein from juicing?! LOL!

Please, do this community a good service by actually knowing what you're talking about before disparaging the efforts of others. People, in general, aren't stupid. There's a hell of a lot more behind people's decision to start juicing than a video documentary.

Look it up, don't make it up.

This post is not an invitation to debate the issue, especially since it's obvious that minds have been cemented in myth. Do your own DEEP research, stop making things up based on limited information. Juicers are not stupid people, you know. A lot of you should be ashamed, especially on a site such as this.

To the original poster, what do you actually KNOW about juicing to be discouraging your mate? What effort have you made to actually LEARN about the subject? Do you think your mate is stupid? What might he think of you, concerning all of this?

I don't have to do any research to KNOW that it is a bad idea to live off of nothing but fruit and vegetable juice (even if you use one of those juicers that leaves the pulp/fiber) for any lengthy period of time. Any "research" you've read that says otherwise is research that goes against all common sense.