Very Sore and don't want to work out?

Options
salemnye
salemnye Posts: 305 Member
I have restarted my 30 day shred. Day 2 was yesterday. I was wobbling like a penguin after the workout yesterday. I consumed carbs and protein after (like you're supposed to) and woke up with VERY stiff thigh muscles this morning. I googled a remedy for it and I came across this website: http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/training/weightlifting.htm. The website gives what goes down when you're exercising/lifting weights and like what happens when we're tearing the muscles.

RECOUP time. If you're sore (like I am) the site stated when you should work out again.

So how long should one wait between weight lifting bouts using the same body part? Well, based on the recovery data discussed above as well as the detraining data discussed in sidebar #1, it appears that when doing intense weight lifting workouts and letting nature take it's course, a period of 7 or more days may be a good starting point. However each individual may be different. In addition, as discussed in sidebar #2, certain recovery techniques may speed up healing.

A few individualized methods for knowing whether it's time to destroy the legs again are as follows.

1) Be sure that muscle soreness is completely gone.
2) Be sure that your range of motion has returned.
3) Be sure that your muscle strength is better than it was during the previous workout.
4) For those of you who like to quantify things, you can measure your relaxed muscle circumference before your training session and wait until the swelling has gone down.

Although I don't think that understanding why you can't get out of bed in the morning after a rough workout makes it any easier to do so, at least you'll now be able to better plan your workouts. This way you will be able to fully recover and your pain will not be in vain.

So I found that the bottom line is if you're sore, hurts to walk, doing a duck or penguin waddle, take a day off. When I first did the 30 day shred back in February, I found that I felt SO much better after a day off and even better after a second day off. I only lasted to day 4 if any one is curious. Do some light cardio like taking a walk somewhere or lightly use your exercise equipment.

I hope that helps :) Oh If you want to get rid of the stiffness, do some cardio like jumping jacks. I also did some butt kicks (level 1 30DS ones) and my thighs are a bit looser now. If you're in a public place go to the bathroom, pick a stall and kick away :wink: