Squats -sets spread out during the day - Effective?

Options
If I set a goal to do, let's say 100 squats a day and I spread it out throughout the course of the day, will it still be effective. For example, if I do one rep of 10 right now, then do another in an hour etc etc, will it be as effective as doing them all at one time?

I am trying to maximize every ounce of free time that I have.

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    If I set a goal to do, let's say 100 squats a day and I spread it out throughout the course of the day, will it still be effective. For example, if I do one set of 10 right now, then do another in an hour etc etc, will it be as effective as doing them all at one time?

I am trying to maximize every ounce of free time that I have.

Not sure what the value of doing 100 body weight squats is to be honest. If you really want to stick with body weight then I would incorporate plyometrics instead. This way, you're actually doing something. Sorry, don't mean to be rude but body weight squats have little value unless you're doing therapy to recover from an injury.

Plyometric jump suggestions:
    1. Jump Squats: Squat down, jump, and try to jump again as soon as your feet hit the ground, no pause; touch-and-go
    2. Frog Jumps: Squat down until you finger tips are on the floor, touch-and-go
    3. Lunge Jumps: Jumps from a lunge position
    4. Broad Jumps: Stand with your feet together and jump forward as far as you can, try and touch-and-go these too.

Sets of 3 to 4, 10-12 reps each set.
  • icandothis318
    icandothis318 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info JNick77. I was just using squats as an example, although I usually do them. But for anything, lunges, lunge jumps, pushups, steps ups, with weights or without, I want to know if I set out to do 100 of them for the day, will splitting them up by doing (for example) 20 at 10am, 20 at 12pm, 20 at 4pm 20 at 6pm and 20 at 9pm be as effective as doing all 100 at one time.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info JNick77. I was just using squats as an example, although I usually do them. But for anything, lunges, lunge jumps, pushups, steps ups, with weights or without, I want to know if I set out to do 100 of them for the day, will splitting them up by doing (for example) 20 at 10am, 20 at 12pm, 20 at 4pm 20 at 6pm and 20 at 9pm be as effective as doing all 100 at one time.

Maybe try this. Do something like Broad Jumps for 3 sets of 10 in the morning and then in the evening do Frog Jumps for sets of 2 to 3 reps and do as many sets until you feel good. Basically stop when you feel that this was your best set and couldn't do another set any better. Or just do all of your work in the morning.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how strong you are now and how your muscle endurance is. If 10 reps of something gets your heart rate up and your muscles burning, then yes, you can spread the sets out, and you probably don't need to do 10 sets if the first few sets are difficult.

If 10 reps is no big deal, then you aren't doing much for your muscles. If you want to get stronger, you have to push yourself to muscle failure. Choose more difficult exercises, keep your sets lower, and do them all at once so you exhaust your muscles. Then rest those muscles the next day. It's kind of like walking at a leisurely pace around the house - it's not a challenge, therefore not an effective workout.

edited for my silly grammar
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    why not just do 3 sets of 10 reps at a high weight? less time more benefit.
  • icandothis318
    Options
    Thanks for all suggestions. @mfanyafujo...great point on the challenging part. @mes1119...great idea!

I just wanted to fit in some beneficial stuff in my down time. For example, when I am in the shower in the morning, I try to quickly throw in some squats/lunges or while I am at working, I can go into the gym for a quick set or I can take advantage of all my bathroom breaks (thanks to the water I drink) and get a quick round of something in.

On Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday, I do track work followed by a solid stairs workout and on Monday's & Fridays I do arms, so the extras I am trying to squeeze in are really just extras.

I can do it in the evenings, but I figured if I can squeeze my reps in during the day then I can utilize my evenings with the cooking, family time, school work or some much needed rest.

Mornings are just not an option for me to workout because my days are too actioned packed and I don't get enough sleep as it is.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all suggestions. @mfanyafujo...great point on the challenging part. @mes1119...great idea!

I just wanted to fit in some beneficial stuff in my down time. For example, when I am in the shower in the morning, I try to quickly throw in some squats/lunges or while I am at working, I can go into the gym for a quick set or I can take advantage of all my bathroom breaks (thanks to the water I drink) and get a quick round of something in.

On Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday, I do track work followed by a solid stairs workout and on Monday's & Fridays I do arms, so the extras I am trying to squeeze in are really just extras.

I can do it in the evenings, but I figured if I can squeeze my reps in during the day then I can utilize my evenings with the cooking, family time, school work or some much needed rest.

Mornings are just not an option for me to workout because my days are too actioned packed and I don't get enough sleep as it is.

I get the whole busy schedule thing. If, for example, you have a spare minute and you want to do squats, then a minute of just squats might not be so challenging. As was suggested, you can turn them into plyometric squats, or you can do a static squat - hold in the down position for as long as possible. Feel the burn!!!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Google grease the groove training.

It's a method of training to improve your ability to perform extremely difficult tasks, ones that you can only do a couple of reps of.
    You do a rep or so, several times throughout the day, never going anywhere near failure. Slowly getting your body used to, and adapting to completing this difficult exercise.

It will also have to be an exercise that doesn't overlap your other exercises.
  • icandothis318
    Options
    mfanyafujo...I am implementing that tomorrow morning. Off to youtube to see the visuals on plyometrics.

Thanks ironsmasher....I am checking it out now.

I love this place...full of info...it does nothing for my computer addiction lolllll
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If you want to fit in some quick workouts consider Tabata.

Air squats tabata style are thigh burners for sure!

If need info on Tabata:

http://tabatatraining.org