30 days of sugar free

Options
wanderinglight
wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
I know it's not the first day of the month or anything but I happened to be reading about Alec Baldwin's weight loss after his doctor made him cut out sugar from his diet because he was pre-diabetic.

Over all the years that I have been trying to lose weight -- limiting my calories, working out 500+ calories per day, eating my exercise calories, sticking to primarily whole foods, etc etc etc -- I have never been able to cut out the sugar. Even if it's sugar from honey, agave, artificial sweeteners, etc. I think I am truly addicted to it.

I'd like to try to limit my sugar for the next 30 days, with a plan to eventually go sugar free.

For two weeks I'll be limiting added sugar (in processed foods: cake, candy, cookies, etc.) as well as sugar in dairy (nonfat milk, yogurt, etc.). I'm going to try and stick under 12mg per day.

Then for the next two weeks I will go completely sugar free (even sugar occurring in fruit). I know that a lot of people can eat this "natural" sugar and they don't have an issue with it but I think it is a problem for me. Actually, I know it is an issue for me because just the thought of giving it up makes me nervous and agitated. I guess that's what an addiction is...

I'm looking for support and advice, especially from anyone who has done this already! I'm going to try and post every day, and if others want to join and share that would be great!

Replies

• joyspear
    joyspear Posts: 20
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good luck! I too am a sugar addict, I admire your bravery. May the force be with you!
  • SportsMom82
    Options
    Good Luck!!!
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the first day of the month or anything but I happened to be reading about Alec Baldwin's weight loss after his doctor made him cut out sugar from his diet because he was pre-diabetic.

Over all the years that I have been trying to lose weight -- limiting my calories, working out 500+ calories per day, eating my exercise calories, sticking to primarily whole foods, etc etc etc -- I have never been able to cut out the sugar. Even if it's sugar from honey, agave, artificial sweeteners, etc. I think I am truly addicted to it.

I'd like to try to limit my sugar for the next 30 days, with a plan to eventually go sugar free.

For two weeks I'll be limiting added sugar (in processed foods: cake, candy, cookies, etc.) as well as sugar in dairy (nonfat milk, yogurt, etc.). I'm going to try and stick under 12mg per day.

Then for the next two weeks I will go completely sugar free (even sugar occurring in fruit). I know that a lot of people can eat this "natural" sugar and they don't have an issue with it but I think it is a problem for me. Actually, I know it is an issue for me because just the thought of giving it up makes me nervous and agitated. I guess that's what an addiction is...

I'm looking for support and advice, especially from anyone who has done this already! I'm going to try and post every day, and if others want to join and share that would be great!

I am with you! I have actually been sugar free for 7 days as we speak.......it has been easier than I thought. I do still eat fruit however. I am also giving up all grains except oatmeal and flax seed. I have fibromyalgia and am trying to find ways to help relieve the pain. the first 4 days I felt so much better and almost pain free........then I overdid it physically over the weekend and it kicked my butt with a venegence.......so while diet is definitely helping.......I need to REALLY focus on self care and balance too.....

Anyway..........short story long:bigsmile: yes I will do this with you. Please feel free to friend me and we can support each other! Good luck!! Dyanna

p.s. I think 30 days will tell a real story don't you?
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Thanks, Dyanna! It's really nice to hear from someone who is taking on such a challenging program.

And yes, 30 days should definitely tell the tale!

I think I have to remind myself that it's not forever, and apply that "one day at a time" mantra. I'm really glad to hear that you have gone 7 days successfully!

For grains I'm trying to only eat Ezekiel bread, brown rice, and/or oatmeal. I hadn't thought about flax seed but it's a good idea.
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Day One and I'm dying! I am realizing how much I crave something sweet to eat with my afternoon coffee. And I didn't plan too well -- although I brought my lunch (poached chicken, steamed zucchini, and mixed succotash from Trader Joe's) I didn't realize how much sugar was in corn and so I'm almost at my limit for the day already! I had also brought some Greek yogurt with strawberries that I won't be able to eat today. My goal is to get through today, work out tonight and then pack a lot of options for tomorrow.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Consider joining the south beach diet thread. Lots of folks there who would agree with going sugar free. They eat lots of carbs (vegetables, fruits, whole grains) but skip the sugar and white flour.
    I've gone without sugar, white flour and beer for 10 or 12 years now. Best weight maintenance decision I ever made!:drinker:
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Thank you! I will join that forum as well. Although reading up on it, SBD seems like it allows sugarfree candy, fudgsicles, etc. Not sure I can let myself do that yet. I might modify Phase 1 to stay away from those for now at least for the first two weeks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will join that forum as well. Although reading up on it, SBD seems like it allows sugarfree candy, fudgsicles, etc. Not sure I can let myself do that yet. I might modify Phase 1 to stay away from those for now at least for the first two weeks.
    Allows, but not required. :-)
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Day 2 is over safely! I'm realizing my worst cravings (like everyone, I suppose) are at 4pm and then again when I come home. I have been soooo craving something sweet today. I have also cut out white flour and most of the other processed stuff. This wasn't so hard as I rarely ate them prior to starting my 30 day challenge. The only tough part on that front has been pretzels. I love pretzels!

I'm plotting menus for tomorrow. I do allow myself Ezekiel bread, as it has no sugar. So it will likely be peanut butter on the 'zeke for breakfast, hard boiled eggs for a snack, and tons of veggies and lean proteins for lunch and dinner. On to Day 3!
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Hooooo boy yesterday was tough!! I'm on Day 4 of going no sugar. I had to modify my plan -- realized that 12g a day is not really realistic. I cut out all sugar, including that from dairy, processed, unprocessed, fruit, etc. and I still average about 15 or 17 because of the vegetables. I'll never give up vegetables!

My diet for this week is almost exclusively whole grains (Ezekiel bread or brown rice), veggies, a little bit of Laughing Cow cheese, eggs, and lean meats. I'm not usually hungry but the cravings for sugar -- any sugar -- are almost unbearable. I am dying for strawberries, pretzels and gummi bears. Sigh.

Still, I am interested to see if this two week "reset" allows me to move forward on breaking this habit completely. After two weeks I'm going to slowly add in naturally occurring sugar from yogurt and fruit but still limit it according to the MFP guidelines of about 25g a day.

Today I'm armed with: hard boiled eggs, a peanut butter sandwich for my afternoon "sweet" craving, steamed veggies with rice and black beans and then more veggies with grilled salmon. Wish me luck!
  • laurieblair2012
    Options
    I'm on day 86 without processed flour or sugar. I've replaced everything I can think of in my kitchen with it's sugar free counterpart, so even my kids are having to suffer through this with me. I do eat fruit a few times a week, but I've eliminated other kinds of sugar wherever possible. I'm finally used to sugar free coffee creamer, which was probably the biggest or hardest thing for me. We all have our vices, you know!

I get a B12 shot weekly, but some weeks I go for the B12-B6 combo injection because the B6 allegedly helps with sugar cravings. I think it does...I mostly need that during PMS cravings, which are usually chocolate or sugar related.

It is not easy. It is not particularly fun. I figure it's more fun than an insulin pump or toe amputations later on, so I keep on swimming, as Dory says. Good luck to all of you as we swim along. :)
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Having been a diabetic on 2 needles a day of 170 units of insulin and now on NONE, I have to say that keeping your sugar low in your diet... plus diet and exercise helps your health tremendously.... not to mention staying away from high sugar things keeps those cravings at bay.... thats not mentioning the head hunger for that is different.

Keeping your sugar content to 9 grams and under for an item of 100 cals is what I use as a guideline. Yes fruits do have up to 14 grams...but fruit is fruit and we do need it...but limited and balanced in your caloric range.

best of luck...heres to health ;)
  • treatdream
    treatdream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!!

I am addicted to sugar and I have something called candida overgrowth which made me have to give up ALL sugar (carbs, fruit, dairy, alcohol - anything that turned into sugar in the body). I started with a fast/cleanse and I think it really helped get the sugar out of my system so I wasn't craving it. After that, it really wasn't so bad. As long as I had plenty of healthy, easy food options available and I didn't let myself get hungry, I was ok. I maintained a completely sugar free diet for three months and lost approx 20 lbs. Since then I have maintained my weight but have not been as strict with my diet. I am strongly considering going back to a completely sugar free lifestyle - I just feel so much better in SO many ways.

Friend me if you want to know more or would like some extra support.

These are a couple of my favorite resources. I didn't buy these peoples books but they offer a lot of great info on their blogs...
    http://www.sarahwilson.com.au/
    http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/
    http://www.mariahealth.blogspot.com/
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Thank you nsblue and treatdream!

I am curious...I am cutting out artificial sweeteners as well. For me the taste of something sweet seems to trigger the same cravings. I'm wondering if this two weeks of stopping sugar and artificial sweeteners will reset that "trigger effect" or if it will always be that way and eating sugar free candy will just make me crave it more. I have heard so much about giving up the artificial stuff too. I guess there's only one way to find out...
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    getting hooked on sugar free candy can be a trap..so watch out...for one can mindlessly pop in alot of sugar free candy and blow their diet plan all to pieces. A sugar addiction is a bit of a habit and behavioural modification comes into play of making a plan of what to do when those cravings happen. keeping your protein even... limiting your higher carbs will make you feel full n will help keep cravings at bay. limited splenda etc limited fruit I found ok. more you get into it..more u have sugar free candy..that sweet craving will return...just be careful...moderation with it is key.
  • treatdream
    Options
    I agree with nsblue that moderation is key. For now, I would stay away from all sugar substitutes though. Once you aren't craving the sweet sensation I think it is safe to allow yourself things that contain substitutes in moderation. Also, natural sugar substitutes such as xylotol and stevia can have some health benefits too. I would stay away from anything artificial but that is just me.

Here's an address to a PDF with all kinds of natural sweetener info...
    http://tinyurl.com/czomvde
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Today is Day 5 for me. I'm pretty proud of myself -- I almost canceled my drinks plans last night but instead went out and had soda water with lime, which was a heroic act of self control. I'm not so far into my 30 days that it's easy for me to keep going. Five days doesn't really look like much on the calendar and it's been hard not to say "well I'll just have that piece of warm berry crumble that they are passing around the office and I'll start over again next week."

I really want to do this right. I really want to have success with this goal and I'm so hoping that I will see some sort of change. I feel like this is my last chance to really lose weight -- it truly is the only option I have never tried.

I think staying away from artificial sweeteners and sugar substitutes will be key for me now. Once I'm through this initial two week phase then I'm so looking forward to having a handful of berries or a piece of fruit!

I'm worried about the weekend and am trying to work out a plan for every day so that I'm keeping busy. I relocated to NYC for a temporary assignment and luckily there's no shortage of things to do. The key will be getting out of the apartment and eating enough so I'm not tempted to stop at every pretzel stand, bakery and pizza shop!
  • treatdream
    Options
    You're doing great and should be proud of yourself. This isn't an easy change to make. It will get easier though. "One more day" doesn't seem so hard when you've already gotten through so many. For me, not having fruit was the hardest, so once you add that back in you should be much happier. Keep up the great work!

Also, maybe trying looking into some farmers markets in your neighborhood. It will give you something fun to explore and you'll probably be inspired by all the fresh, in season, local produce.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    A couple of other good resources are 21daysugardetox.com as well as balanced bites. Wife has been on their program since Jan 1 and loves it. And it was cheap too! Good luck to you.
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Treatdream thank you for the support! Five days looks so sad on the month of May calendar but it still feels good. I love the idea of visiting the Farmer's Market! It's just one more wonderful thing that NYC has to offer. :smile:

KB that's a great link -- checking it out now!

I must admit, I'm completely confused about things like Stevia and agave nectar. Last night instead of eating I was reading and I've ended up far more confused than I was when I started. I know they are all natural and therefore "safe" but it seems like a cheat to be able to make brownies, muffins, etc. especially since I'm still cutting out flour as well (white and wheat). I'm going to stay the course and avoid any type of sweeteners (whether natural or artificial) and see where I am after two weeks. Maybe after two weeks I'll want to keep on avoiding them...