Question for all you working parents out there

Options
Seriously... how do you find time to exercise? I don't know how to get out of my rut. I know sometimes it's lack of motivation, but most of the time it's truely lack of time.

Since joining MFP I have not been brave enough to try to get up earlier than I already do. I am very stiff and sore when I first wake up, so moving a lot will only pull my muscles (I have tried in the past). Also, I have a 2yo at home that does not always sleep through the night. Since I am always exhausted, it does not make sense to me to get up early and be even more exhausted.

When I get home after my 8-10 hour work days I have just enough time to make dinner while helping the older kids with their homework/housework/lives. Maybe playing with the 2yo for a few uninterrupted minutes and trying to clean up from dinner, etc...

By that time it's 9-10 pm and I'm pooped.

I made a deal with my hubby that he would give the 2yo her bath 3 days a week so I could do a workout for 30 minutes. He normally does it anyway, but I wanted to firm up a plan that would help keep me motivated to do it. That worked 1 time before he got sick, then the rest of us got sick. That was 3 weeks ago.

How do you keep going when your life is not only your own? I can't say I'm going for a walk when there are dishes to be done, dinner to make and children to love and care for.
How do you fit it in? How do you take back some of your time for yourself without pushing all responsibilities onto your spouse? I feel like I've been waiting for my kids to leave the nest so that I could be me again. Another 16 years is too long to wait.

Replies

• KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    My Suzy Homemaker skills have been sadly lacking since I started working out for an hour 5 days a week. It’s amazing how much stuff I apparently used to get done in that hour. I have gotten to the point where I have to just straighten up during the week and actually clean on the weekends. I realized that things don't have to be perfect all of the time.
  • valucarelli
    valucarelli Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I hear you! It's really difficult!! I work full time and so does my hubby. We are both exhausted at the end of the day.

Personally, I like to get up early and work out in the morning. I understand that that doesn't work for you though. I would recommend trying to walk, or jog, during your lunch break at work. Also, bring healthy lunches and snacks instead of going out for lunch everyday. I tried for the longest time to continue to go out and choose heathly options for lunch, but truth be told, no matter how low calorie you try to go when eating out, it is virtually impossible.

Also, remind your husband of your deal! I hope you are all feeling better by now, maybe you can get back into your routine of working out during the 2yo. bathtime. That sounds like a great plan to me!

I have 3 kids myself, and I remember the days of them not sleeping through the night. My youngest is now 4, so it hasn't been that long for me. I would say that if you have a rough night with the kids, and you are totally exhausted, go ahead and give yourself a break that day. I've tried to power through workouts when I was tired, and it's just miserable. As long as you get back to it the next day, I think there's no problem in giving yourself a reprieve when you are soooo tired!

Anyway, it is difficult! And sometimes we fall off the wagon...but as long as you get back on, you'll be successfull! You have a good start by thinking about it and trying to come up with a plan. Just stick with your plan girl!!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4 or 4:30 AM to train. If morning workouts weren't an option I'd be stuck.
  • chix99
    chix99 Posts: 5
    Options
    Instead of taking a lunch hour, I work out during lunch and eat lunch at my desk!
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My Suzy Homemaker skills have been sadly lacking since I started working out for an hour 5 days a week. It’s amazing how much stuff I apparently used to get done in that hour. I have gotten to the point where I have to just straighten up during the week and actually clean on the weekends. I realized that things don't have to be perfect all of the time.

I second this, I do my detail cleaning on the weekends...also, the YMCA has supervised activities for children too...if you can afford the membership.
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    im starting to work more and it has been really hard. i used to be home 4 days a week and now i'm only home 2. i have given up doing some stuff to work out for even 30 minutes. it's really hard. i have a 5 month old baby and i'm not a morning person. i like to work out at night. i have skipped dinner with the kids a few times just to get a workout in.
  • gypsybug
    gypsybug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! It's SO hard. I've made it part of my schedule and I don't allow it to be altered unless there is bleeding involved. I workout the minute I hit home, right after work. If it means everybody eats at 6:30 instead of 6...so be it. They will survive!

I also had to alter my dinner making methods. On weekdays I just make things that can be put on the table within 15 minutes and save the big dinners for the weekends. If I'm making something that can go in the oven for an hour all the better. I'll slap it together, get it popped in, inform everyone dinner is cooking and I'm off to do my workout.

The single most important thing you can do is find that spot in your day and schedule it. Make it non-negotiable. Everybody will adjust and will accept it.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4 or 4:30 AM to train. If morning workouts weren't an option I'd be stuck.

Yep, same here....
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I work out during my lunch time. I workout for 30-45 minutes and then I eat my lunch. Even if you only do it 3 days a week it makes a difference. I also find that I am not as exhausted at the end of the day after I work out.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    It's hard.
    I have a jogging stroller and take my son out with my running. That way I call it a break for her.
    I still haven't figured out a good way to get back into the gym to do some lifting.
  • timmyyesdog
    Options
    It is hard, I have a 2yo as well. I try to prepare meals ahead of time on weekends so I can spend some playtime with children when I get home during the week instead of cooking - Or I have the kids help me "decorate a pizza or salad" - 2 year olds love to help, so you feel like you get some playtime together while you get the cooking done. I also walk for 20 minutes daily at lunch... it is amazing what so little time can do. I try to fit another 20 minute mini workout in every other day (my husband and I alternate the bathtime thing too, it is very helpful) so that I get 40 minutes of working out 3-4 days of the week. Don't feel like you have to do your entire workout at one time! So far, using MFP and 20 minute mini workouts, I've lost 16 pounds.
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    Not a morning person so I work out at 10:30 pm.when I get off work
    , it works for me.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It's tricky; you have to really REALLY want the time. I have twins who are 3 1/2, and some days I fit my workout in by getting up extra early (I get up normally at 6am; if I wake up just 30 minutes earlier, that's enough time to do a routine from a Biggest Loser DVD). Other days, I do it as soon as I walk in the door after work...I take over the TV and the living room, and OWN the space for 30-45 minutes. The great part about that is that my kids will often join in with whatever DVD I'm following. Some days I go to the gym, although that is tough. Some days I have to just accept that I won't get a workout in. My husband is really helpful, though, and is understanding and generous with allowing me to take the time I need for my workouts. It's all about making it a priority, and not allowing for excuses. I started in the same boat as you, and finally bit the bullet and started setting my alarm clock early. It sucked, and I hated the alarm going off, but it got my butt moving. After 2 weeks of that, I decided to MAKE my workout work in other times of the day, because I felt like I was missing out on too much rest. I hope you're able to work something out!!
  • SwtMelissa86
    SwtMelissa86 Posts: 165
    Options
    It is very hard... I am a widowed mother of 3 with a full time job... i go to the gym 2-3 days a week... on those nights I go to the gym I usually fix something easy for dinner and they eat before we leave... it's hard, but it can be done.... good luck to you
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I find for me, it's all about having it scheduled. I could have all the free time in the world and I still wouldn't work out if it wasn't scheduled lol, it's true.

I am a single mom to 2 kids. I have it scheduled in my routine 3x per week, obvisously it varies depending on the kids activities. If I know that Mon/Tues eves, and Sat mornings are for the gym then I go -- and these are times that I know the gym has childcare for my kids. I am a very scheduled person though, sometimes it doesn't help me, but in the exercise world it does.

Also on the nights I workout, I do something SUPER easy for dinner.

Do you think you could schedule it? Like you schedule work, dinner, kids appts, etc?
    Good luck!
  • cmill78
    cmill78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 & 9 year old & with our busy schedule the best time for me to workout is 3 days a week at 5:30am. It was tough at first but your body adjusts to the schedule.
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Take your kids for a walk after dinner. They need exercise too. A family walk to the park or bike ride? Take them for a swim. The dishes can darn well wait. What can't wait is for you to get healthy to enjoy your kids and live a long and healthy life to see them grow up. Set a good example for them by making your health a priority. ' k lecture over.

I say this because I've just gotten around to it in the past couple of years. My kids are 15 and 12 and, yes it's so much easier now, but they have been wanting my husband and I to play soccer with them for years. To go on bike rides. To play road hockey. We lost a lot of time with them because we were too tired or too sedentary to take advantage of that special time. Thankfully they still like to be around us and are thrilled when Dad comes out to play hockey with the neighbourhood kids. They are cheering me on to reach my goal so that I can join a soccer team and they can come out to my games for a change.

I would take advantage to move your body during your lunch hours/breaks. Even if it's just finding some stairs to go up and down. Just get that body moving. The more you exercise, the better you'll sleep (even with 2 year old) and the less exhausted you'll be.

Best of luck.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Instead of taking a lunch hour, I work out during lunch and eat lunch at my desk!

I am NOT a wake up earlier than I have to person so this is what I do now. I eat at my desk then walk for 40-50 minutes for my hour lunch. When I get home we eat something and then I'll take my 2.5 year old in her stroller and walk around the neighborhood with her for another 30 minutes. I also have a Wii Fit and my toddler likes to stand next to me and do the hula hoop or the boxing or whatever I'm doing. It's like watching an interactive cartoon that looks like Mommy. Maybe you can get your husband and the other kids to come along for walks. Or maybe you can delegate some of the daily household chores to the older kids. You have to make it work for you. Who's taking care of mommy? YOU have to!
  • bergsangel
    bergsangel Posts: 131
    Options
    So I'm sure you've heard this before, but i have to tell you- Once you get into a routine ( a couple weeks), you will see that working out actually improves your energy levels. I have a very similar situation to yours and trust me there are times when I miss my workout.
    I have found that sometimes i have to catch those 10 minute windows while the baby is having a snack or dinner. I have a few videos that have helped in that department. I have one that has 5 ten minute workouts. I play, pause, play, pause doing one 10 minute session at a time. Another thing I have incorporated is getting outside with my kids. Even walking gets your metabolism going. Another very easy video I like is Leslis Sansones 12 minute mile. I even jog (in place) while they powerwalk to boost my workout. I can tell you that if I was trying to find time for the gym, i would also never find it! Good luck to you!
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I get up earlier in the AM's, or stay up later...The girls have more chores lol. And when I take them to the park instead of driving we walk its about a mile round trip instead of taking the car (yes sadly I used to drive up the block to the park).