Feeling Overwhelmed

Options
I started getting serious about changing my lifestyle in January of this year. I had been doing really great sticking to my workout routine (3-5 days per week) up until a few weeks ago. It seems like since the weather has gotten nicer, we have so much more going on and I am finding it harder to fit in my structured workouts. How do you keep yourself motivated to get those workouts in - even during the most hectic weeks? I have a feeling that as we get into summer, this is going to be even more of a problem for me. I feel guilty on those days when my workout is one of the things I don't get to.

Replies

• shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I have been working out 6 days a week for over a year now, so it is just habit now.
    Working out is my ME time. It is the one time during the day that I take just to do something for me.
    I know I could put off a workout, but I know how good I will feel after completing one.
    Every workout gets me that much closer to the goals I have set for myself.
    Life gets busy, but I think you can always find enough time to do some kind of a workout.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It's a complete burden to have to fit an hour workout into an already hectic day, getting busier all the time, LOL. I get up at 3:30 every morning that I workout and do it early when there aren't any distractions and I can't possibly have any excuses other than being tired, that's the only part that's tough to deal with but HEY, I lose a little sleep. I simply look at the alternatives. I won't be Over-weight ever again, I won't have to deal with diabetes, high blood pressure, high sodium, high cholesterol, elevated heart rate, heart disease and so on. That's my motivation. I work in a medical practice where I see patients all day long who don't have my drive and I see the end result. That WON'T be me. I want to be 80 and still have the ability to do whatever I want. So when I found myself not having time to train, I manufactured the time! LOL
  • KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    I agree with Harebearva. I do the same thing. I get up at 3:30 am and am at the gym by 4:30. My husband and I have been doing it for over a year as well. I feel so much better during the day and really miss it when I don't get to go. We have just decided that this has to be our priority and everything else has to fit in around it, as much as possible.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I think of my workouts as me. And I am just as important as anything and anyone else in my lfie. I always schedule my workouts in advance, and try to keep them just as I would any other appointment. There are many times when I get so busy I just don't feel like, but usually if I have it scheduled and I go do it, I feel a million times better afterwards. And that allows me to truly give my attention and energy to whatever else is going on in life. However, if something truly comes up and I can't make I workout (because let's face it, life happens), I try to reschedule it, but if that is not possible I don't let myself feel guilty and I just make sure to do the next one.
    Spring and summer can get very hectic. I'm not sure what your workout routine is, but perhaps you commit to yourself to keeping your strength workouts as ME time 2-3x per week, and incorporating more "family" exercise on the other days. There are a lot of other fun activities you can do outside that can double as a workout. Take a walk or a run on the beach. Go for a hike. Go for a bike ride. Play touch football, or volleyball, or frisbee. Make it a family activity. Actively playing with your kids can burn plenty of calories, and you get quality family time doing it.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I have a fitness center at work that I use during lunch and I walk the dog every morning, rain, shine or whatever (unless it's lightening, I'm not getting zapped).

Even if you don't complete a traditional work out see if maybe you could stuff some yoga or something in the bedroom late at night or even at lunchtime in an empty office? Netflix has some yoga, pilates, etc. videos and so does youtube if you have a laptop or smart phone.

Bottom line, you are important and so are your workouts. You deserve to be healthy.