reeniesing Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    boy - Grayson
    Girl - Lillian
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My sons name is Kingston Alexander.
    For #2 we like the the names Carter (maybe Karter) and we like Gavin.. If it's a girl we like Kaetlyn (another form of kaitlyn)
  • libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My boys names are Easton and Bauer. Nope not kidding ! I love the names and no I don't like hockey to much
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are careful about the combination of first / last / middle names. My father, Jack Shepard, went to a school where he was not the only "Jack" in his class. So the teacher decided to use last name initials... so he was "Jack S" and you can imagine how long it took the kids to start mispronouncing that...

For your child's protection, check out this video from Zilch the ToryStellar. He's a Renaissance Faire storyteller & entertainer, but he makes some very good points about children's names.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHolAN5Qmsw
  • katiejneely
    katiejneely Posts: 52
    Options
    I love my son's name......Reece Jackson

Wish my daughters name was different though--no one can get it right.....Kinsey Jo. They call her everything but her name--McKenzie, Kenzie. Ugh.

It's not THAT hard, right?! I always tell people it's pronounced like Lindsey, but with a K.

Good luck!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Giving Your Kids a Creative Name

You'd Think...
    You want your kid to be special. There are a few million Daves, Bobs and Johns running around NOT being totally awesome and obviously it's all because of their boring-*kitten* names. So you decide to name your son something original, like Malcolm, Ivan or ****smash McIroncock.

But in Reality...
    You have just sent your flesh and blood straight into the middle of a massive man-rape in the prison shower. According to a study at the Shippensburg University, kids growing up with ordinary, popular names have a higher chance to become law abiding citizens, while all the unusually named ones should start deciding what state they want to commit their first felony in (friendly tip, skip Texas). The study lists the top 10 bad boy names in America as: Alec, Ernest, Garland, Ivan, Kareem, Luke, Malcolm, Preston, Tyrell and Walter, which we must point out are not the names of any serial killer or presidential assassin that has ever existed, so we're assuming the research is skewed in a certain direction.

Although, Steve Buscemi played a serial killer named Garland in Con Air, so we guess that's maybe half a point?
    The theory is that the additional attention garnered by odd and unusual names can cause peer ridicule and discrimination in the workforce, which tends to result in a few thousand Alecs and Prestons stealing toilet paper from the gas station. So do your kid a favor and give him a typical law-abiding, mentally stable name, like Michael.

Read more: 7 Things 'Good Parents' Do (That Screw Up Kids For Life) | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article/195_7-things-good-parents-do-that-screw-up-kids-life/#ixzz1uCu2TFfR

I have to fully oppose this comment. I can agree that very very strange names ("apple") comes to mind, can be weird and maybe a hindrance, but names that are unique or haven't been popular for a while but are still great names are crucial for individuality. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that I am named Kylee. There is no other Kylee at my entire university and there was never another in any of my grade school classes. People remember me because I have a unique name. Maybe it gets pronounced incorrectly a lot, but I love being the only Kylee around :)

My hippie parents gave me a "unique" rhyme-y name. I've been picked on my whole life. The name certainly didn't make me a nerd, but it didn't help out much, either.

Normal names FTW
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    How about Jillian for a girl? Then you can have a julie and a jilly? =) I think fun girl names are Joy, Annabelle and Caroleen

For a boy i think michael (nicknamed mickey), ethan and Christopher (nicknamed topher) is cute.

Congratulations!
  • clemsontiger78
    clemsontiger78 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    We have a Grace and a Walter....Just my $.02 as a preschool director and educator for 12 years...make sure that the spelling makes sense with the pronunciation. I have had children come through my school with silent "D" or consecutive "y"s in their names. They struggle to spell them and usually become frustrated early. I once actually had a parent spell her daughter's name one way on the application and another way on the parent information sheet. When I looked at the birth certificate, it was spelled differently yet a third time. When I told the mother that we had to use that one, she told me it was not right. I told her to take that conversation up with vital records, but we had to go by that one :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the posters...give your kid a name that can be easily pronounced by anyone who reads it, and one they won't have to "explain" to everyone he or she comes across in life. Its also very important that it meshes well with your last name so it doesn't conjur up any crazy rhymes or sounds "tongue twisty".

Kids are mean enough without giving them easy ammunition! My friend named her kid Tucker, and he's the cutest little thing, but in kindergarden and its already being used with the most obvious rhyme!
  • blmr85
    blmr85 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Boys: Max
    Girls: Maree
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm just glad none of my children's names have been mentioned so far.

Me too.

me also.. our baby names are top secret until babies our born.. the last time i talked about names i like 3 people had a little girl and named her avery (my number 1 name at the time)
  • AngelicaDulas
    AngelicaDulas Posts: 196
    Options
    Thanks for starting this topic! I am also pregnant with my first and thinking long and hard right now about names. It's helpful to see so many suggestions. Some cute, some "what are you thinking" IMO and some with negative associations; you ever meet someone you really didn't like and it ruins the name for you forever?

But There are so many of names to choose from and it's a matter of finding one you can agree with your spouse on! :)
  • bellanoelle
    bellanoelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My boys: Mitchell Reed, Evan Scott & Grant Alexander

My only girl....Holly Beth

No mistakes looking at the class roster if they are a boy or girl....and not too many nicknames.

Other girl names I liked : Sierra, Noelle, Meredith
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Pick a name that flows well with your last name. The middle name is a relevant consideration as well.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Unless we have a last minute change of mind when the baby's born, she's going to be named Moira Helen Wyatt. Helen after my great-grandmother and my wife's grandmother, and Moira... well, because we like it. :tongue:
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    My kids are Jamie Mikaela Winnifred and Corben Mathew Bruce
    Nieces are Clara, Kyah, Camille (love love love that name) and Isabella

right now i love Rigby and Jensen for a boy, Meredith and Amelia for a girl.
  • Altarian
    Altarian Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    boy - Sebastien
    Girl - Isabelle
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Peyton.....unisex
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My daughter is named Melina, my son is Lucas. I'm a huge fan of the non-traditional names, my husband, not so much. So you can guess who named which child. Melina was going to be Scott Alan, and Lucas would have been Katie Ann. I really pushed for the names Meredith, Eleanora & Olivia for girls, and Leander, Oliver and Soren for boys.