stopping Ortho tri cylen

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
Any ladies on here stop taking this? What side effects did you notice after you stopped taking it? Acne,mood swings, depression,Irregularities, cramps, increased or decreased Sex drive? Did any of these subside after a while off of it. Just want to get an idea of what I am in for next year when we try to have a baby. I've been on it since I was 14 so I have no idea what it's like to be off it, and that makes me nervous.

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I am on Ortho TriCyclen Lo, I stopped taking it and was put on a different BC but didn't notice a change in much except I did get cramps and some acne. I changed back to Ortho Lo, and I don't have cramps or the acne anymore. It can be different for every girl, but that's what happened with me when I changed.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking it and switched to Depo Provera. I didn't notice any side effects.

ETA: My sex drive has nearly dropped since I started taking proper BC (meaning as prescribed).
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Once I stopped, I noticed a huge increase in my sex drive. And on a related note, I got pregnant my first month off.
  • aray1107
    aray1107 Posts: 75
    Options
    I stopped Ortho a couple of months ago. My period seemed a lot heavier the first month and I had cramps, but it's been better since. I haven't noticed much of a difference in regards to anything else though.
  • TracyTucci
    TracyTucci Posts: 35
    Options
    I stopped taking it back In Sept. I now have more acne then i have ever had. It is finally starting to calm down. And i bleed alot more.
  • mindysreadyforchange
    mindysreadyforchange Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When I stopped taking Ortho Tri Cyclen I was 26 and I had been taking since 16. The one thing that I really noticed, especially the first two months after quitting, I could feel the ovulating and it was painful. Also some acne and increased intimacy drive as well
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    A little bit of acne and heavier periods obviously but I dropped A TON of weight for some reason when I came off it .. like 6 lbs in a month. As another poster said, higher sex drive as well.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I was near psychotic on every type of birth control I tried, migraines weekly, horribly weepy pms, and stopped using them altogether. You may just find yourself an entirely mellow person. I'm surprised they kept prescribing the same thing for that long, especially during teen years.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Thanks guys this is really helpful! The more experiences the better
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Once I stopped, I noticed a huge increase in my sex drive. And on a related note, I got pregnant my first month off.

This, exactly:)
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I have been on a variety of BCPs since I was 16 and stopped last October. After stopping, aside from realizing I have a dud lady bit, my acne got worse and my sex drive better. :) It took me a while to get "regular", but everyone is different.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    bump would love more replies!
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Any ladies on here stop taking this? What side effects did you notice after you stopped taking it? Acne,mood swings, depression,Irregularities, cramps, increased or decreased Sex drive? Did any of these subside after a while off of it. Just want to get an idea of what I am in for next year when we try to have a baby. I've been on it since I was 14 so I have no idea what it's like to be off it, and that makes me nervous.

Bad cramps and some acne which cleared up and much heavier periods and it's been well over a year now. I've gone to acupuncture to try to help with some of it actually.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't notice much in the way of side effects after stopping any pill. I stopped and started a few (OTC included -- my first pill) and the only side effect I had was an irregular cycle for a short time.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    You shouldn't notice much in the way of side effects after stopping any pill. I stopped and started a few (OTC included -- my first pill) and the only side effect I had was an irregular cycle for a short time.

I agree you shouldn't, but have noticed a lot of women do, they do say whatever problems you had before you took it will likely return. and I have heard about it affecting the sex drive a lot.
  • rml_16
    Options

I agree you shouldn't, but have noticed a lot of women do, they do say whatever problems you had before you took it will likely return. and I have heard about it affecting the sex drive a lot.

Oh, definitely any issues you had before will return. And I should have worded my post differently because everyone will have different experiences. But for the most part, usually stopping the pill will return your body to its "normal" state but shouldn't cause any additional problems. There are always exceptions!
  • Grimmerick
    Options

Oh, definitely any issues you had before will return. And I should have worded my post differently because everyone will have different experiences. But for the most part, usually stopping the pill will return your body to its "normal" state but shouldn't cause any additional problems. There are always exceptions!

That really worries me because I used to get such bad ones that I couldn't function. I would turn two shades lighter than chalk and dry heave continuously along with having the worst cramps, well actually it was the cramps that made me pale ,cold sweaty and nauseous because they were so bad, I would literally have to sit in the bathtub a few times a day and nothing would touch it, no painkillers would help at all after starting BC no problem.
  • rml_16
    Options

That really worries me because I used to get such bad ones that I couldn't function. I would turn two shades lighter than chalk and dry heave continuously along with having the worst cramps, well actually it was the cramps that made me pale ,cold sweaty and nauseous because they were so bad, I would literally have to sit in the bathtub a few times a day and nothing would touch it, no painkillers would help at all after starting BC no problem.

Mine are very heavy and last up to 7 days if I'm not on a hormonal BC, but thankfully I don't have the cramping and stuff. I do get very tired, though, and fuzzy-headed. It's why I need to be on some form of BC until menopause, even if I'm not worried about pregnancy. It sucks because the pill stopped working (my periods were getting heavier and lasting longer and for two years my OB tried different ones and nothing worked). So the only other option really was Mirena and that's making me fat.

I can't win!
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I had been on ortho tri cyclen for about 6 years and stopped it after my divorce...my moods improved and my sex drive increased by a ton, but I had longer and heavier periods with more cramping. Oh, I also dropped a few lbs without changing my diet or exercise!

I hated having to go back on the pill...but I don't really want a baby just yet... :-)
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Thanks so much guys this is really helpful