Yoga?

Options
cspong
cspong Posts: 260 Member
Has anyone on here started yoga? I've been interested in it for a while and just bought this 3 pack of dvds

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0062NTKVE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Has anyone done yoga and had results with it?

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I've done yoga pretty much daily for about 2 years and before that practiced at least weekly for 5 years. I love it. It keeps me calm and I think the stretching/balance/compression feels great. I'm a big fan of Tara Stiles' yoga podcast (free, just do an itunes search) and hulu.com has some wonderful beginner yoga.

I do recommend taking an actual class or two. It can be difficult to recognize mistakes you are making without an experienced teacher.

Have fun though! Yoga has really helped with my recovery from hard workouts.
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have an AM and PM set that I am going to start tomorrow.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    What are you looking to get out of it?

Yoga is what I do for fun; it's what I spend my money on; it's what I do to relax or to exercise.

There's a yoga group on MFP here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group
  • alikat789
    alikat789 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love my yoga, i got back into regular practice last October - i took advantage of a $40 monthly pass at Moksha Yoga doing hot yoga and love it. The instructors are great.

15+ years ago I started at home and didn't go to a class or have an instructor i just followed a show i taped (vhs) haha. I do recommend practicing at home first (cause some poses can relieve some gas, not fun in a class situation) . Take your time and breath into each pose, don't rush a pose and focus only on the current pose you are working on. Don't expect to be in the position that the instructor is in - Yoga is all about practicing to get into the pose and breathing and repetition help you do that. I still struggle with lots of poses and certain days i can not get into a balance pose or my legs are so weak i can't hold warrior pose without the legs shaking or me stepping out/falling out of pose. Each day has it's own struggles so don't worry about it if you can't get as low into a pose as you did the time before.

I have found that yoga alone can tone up your muscles quit a bit.
  • jolleve
    jolleve Posts: 2
    Options
    I do yoga!!!! It has helped me tremendously with my blood pressure, and my anxiety. Just remember to do it at your pace and take your time and be calm. Enjoy it, it will help you with flexibility and bring calmness...concentrate and do what you can at your pace...good luck and enjoy!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I've done yoga for several years now and I love it as a supplement to my normal exercise routine. Yoga can be very challenging and good for building strength, but is not as demanding as some other exercises. Because of that, you won't typically burn very many calories while doing yoga (maybe 100-200 calories per hour of yoga). I recommend that if you are still trying to lose weight, you do other activities besides yoga also. Yoga alone won't give you enough of a deficit to lose weight.

Like another poster, I would also recommend taking a class or two in person at a professional studio. Some poses are very strange if you've never done them before, and it's good to have someone help guide you into it. If you don't know what the pose should feel like, it can be easy to hurt yourself. A good instructor will make corrections to your form.

I find that practicing yoga regularly helps me stay more in tune with my body and prevent injury from other exercises. It's a great way to relieve stress and stay grounded as well. I try and do it at least once a week to help maintain flexibility and relax after more demanding workouts.
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    While yoga is, admitedly not my favorite activity, it has been good to use when sore after a hard workout.
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Ooh, Thanks for the responses guys! I'm not really looking for it to help speed up my weight loss, just to help me tone as I do. I also deal with anxiety so I figured, two birds, lol
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I love yoga, but DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT start with DVDs. Find a class with a good instructor.