Whey Protein?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    It really depends on why.... You say the DR told you to.... but for what purpose? Whey protein is a fast absorbing protein which is best in the AM, or immediately following any work out. You dont need the amount of protein the label says or all at one time. I highly reccommend AMP Whey Extreme 60 from GNC. I like Cookies and cream, vanilla, and Banana. Hated Fruit punch and Chocolate is good if you really like chocolate milk. For losing Weight this a good protein also, but be careful with smoothies and weight loss. They have alot of Cals and weight loss is buring more cals then you eat. Also skip the milk and add water to cut out additional cals. AMP Whey 60 is a isolated protein with Amino Acids to help in muscle recovery post workout. Consume w/in 20-30 post workout or first thing in the AM. Cost is a factor as well as taste. GNC will exchange product if you do not like them and them do sell small packages so you can try before you by in bulk.

Hope this helps.

I make a smoothie for breakfast with milk, yogurt, berries and whey powder. It's 267 calories... more than my snacks, but fewer calories by far than any other meals.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your diagnosis was, but be careful about the *other* ingredients in protein powders. An awful lot of them have a ton of sugar and carbs. I have to be very careful about which brands I use.

Personally, I have protein shakes at least three times a day, usually more. And before anyone yells at me, it's doctor's orders, I have a weird metabolism. But, that said:

I highly recommend keeping some vanilla on hand for use in baking. I haven't found a vanilla that I like to drink as a shake, though, they all seem to have a weird aftertaste no matter which brand I've tried.

EAS chocolate is pretty good, low-carb, and cheaper than a lot of others.

Syntrax Nectar has by far the widest variety of flavors, from cappuccino to fuzzy navel to strawberry kiwi to lemon tea. Their website lets you order trial-sized packets so you can find out whether you like it or not before you buy a big jar. If I were you, I'd start with companies that let you do that.

Recipes:
    I like to mix a scoop of cappuccino flavored powder with a handful of ice and a cup of coffee for an iced coffee-type treat.
    A scoop of chocolate powder with 1 cup hot water, 1/4 cup cream, and a dash of cinnamon makes great hot chocolate.