Injured and losing motivation ... =(

Options
2»

Replies

• pxpwop
    pxpwop Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I wish you a speedy recovery! I understand what you are going through. Two years ago I herniated a disk in my neck. I was unable to work out or even do cardio for about 6 months. I wish I had this site to keep me motivated but everyone who says stick to your diet is right. I wish I had done that but I ended up gaining about 15 pounds. Just lean on all your MFP friends. We will help you! Good luck and get better soon!!
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I can relate on a number of levels with you.
    I have injured both my knees in sports and put on a bunch of weight after the surgery as I was laid up and went from playing highly competitive volleyball and working out 5-6 nights a week and consuming the same amount of calories that I would have been almost if I had still been playing and feeling sorry for myself.

Don't let it.

First and foremost take care of the knee. 12 years later I'm still dealing with my knee injury as I started up way to quick without giving proper time to heal.
    Most of what will keep you going is diet. Make sure you are eating healthy.

As Jamielee mentioned upper body and core will be a big part of your exercise regime. Even shadow boxing while your leg is immobilized will help raise your heart rate to help get a burn. And can't stress it enough physio and do the homework that they give you.

Best of luck in your surgery, and a speedy recovery.
    If you wish you can add me.
    I do feel your pain with the knee.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Remember that weight loss is 80% diet, and only 20% exercise. I'd say focus on your diet now. I'm sure if you had a gym membership you've put it on hold because of your injury, but maybe you can do a rowing machine to get moving and not hurt with the knee? not sure though. And of course, upper body and core strength training!

I'm also so sorry to hear about your injury and it can be so difficult to overcome the "mental" part of the injury. I had a knee issue that took me away from running and was FREAKING out. I did start bikram and feel that has helped me TONS! And positive attitude and prayer. I also reminded me a lot of the above! It is diet ...most of it is diet...so try to keep focused on that.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    You still control what goes in your mouth as for the rest work within your injury all forms of exercise can be adapted you will find out just how much during your post surgery rehab in the mean time keep the following attitude

560380_353973131318466_263216317060815_894205_1231578243_n.jpg
  • TaraKerns
    TaraKerns Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This video bought tears to my eyes .. thanks so much for sharing!!
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Just reaching out for help means that you've got some motivation already in there. You've got abilities far beyond what you can imagine, you'll come out way on top of this one. You just don't seem like the kind of person to curl up in a corner. Take it as a challenge that you can overcome and be proud of.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm currently off my feet with a stress fracture at the neck of my femur. I've been on crutches for 6 weeks and can't bear weight at all. I am used to being a very active person, and being forced to sit on my *kitten* won't do anything for my mental state. I am DYING to run, but since I can't, I'm making sure to do all the things that I CAN do instead, and aside from the obvious, I haven't let this injury stop me from living my life, geting out and doing the things I normally do. I still go to the gym 5X a week and do upper body strength training, which has saved my sanity! I'm also continuing to log my food and be mindful of what I'm putting into my body, which makes me feel so much better physically and mentally. Being injured is HARD, but don't let it get you down. You will be so much happier if you focus on what you CAN do, instead of what you can't.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!