How to make porridge (oatmeal) more interesting?

I love porridge (i believe in the US you call it oatmeal), it's low in calories and fills me up until lunchtime.

I make mine with half a cup of oats, a cup of water, 2 teaspoons of golden syrup, a splash of semi-skimmed milk and very small handful of raisins and sunflower seeds = approx 192 calories.

But it's beginning to get a little boring, so I'm looking for new ideas.

How do you make porridge more interesting?

Replies

• redmapleleaf
    redmapleleaf Posts: 56 Member
    Sometimes I put coconut oil in mine or a scoop of protein powder. Other things I have put in mine are sunflower seeds, chia seeds, walnuts, almond slices, cinnamon.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    I add cinnamon and unsweetened applesauce to mine, or sometimes no-added-sugar fruit spread or jam.
  • kristineevans
    kristineevans Posts: 56 Member
    I always have strawberries, blueberries and raspberries with mine don't need any syrup or milk then and sometimes add a seed mix too love it it makes so much I have to eat it in 2 halves !
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    I make mine with fig pieces and tiny diced apples sprinkled with a bit of cinnamon - yummy!
  • greeneyes191
    greeneyes191 Posts: 78 Member
    Cinnamon and a cup of frozen berries - sweet & tart flavors and cools it down quickly.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Cinnamon and slivered almonds or crushed walnuts.
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Add your favorite protein powder.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I LOVE overnight oats...it is too dang hot to eat hot oatmeal now. These are cold, creamy, and delicious!

I use her recipe - http://www.pbfingers.com/2012/01/09/how-to-make-overnight-oats/