How to make porridge (oatmeal) more interesting?

Options
2»

Replies

• TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I love porridge (i believe in the US you call it oatmeal), it's low in calories and fills me up until lunchtime.

I make mine with half a cup of oats, a cup of water, 2 teaspoons of golden syrup, a splash of semi-skimmed milk and very small handful of raisins and sunflower seeds = approx 192 calories.

But it's beginning to get a little boring, so I'm looking for new ideas.

How do you make porridge more interesting?

(Original thread was posted on the general diet forum here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/589178-how-to-make-porridge-oatmeal-more-interesting)

I make my oatmeal with steel cut oats, almond coconut milk blend at 60 cals a cup, 2 tablespoons of dried cranberries and dried cherries blend, a tablespoon of ground flax seed, cinnamon and nutmeg and we have 300 calories. You could eliminate the flax seed for 55 calories and cut the almond coconut milk in half for another 30 calories and end up at 220. I have found it is very creamy with the coconut almond milk and just sweet enough with the dried fruit. Sometimes I add some almond butter also
  • kpal73
    kpal73 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sounds crazy but add soy sauce and scallions The savory will is a nice change from he sweet..here is the recipie..you will never eat sugary oatmeal again

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/01/mark-bittmans-savory-oatmeal-with-scallions-and-soy-sauce-recipe.html
  • jsaunde77
    jsaunde77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Raspberries and Walnuts, eating it right now, yum.
  • kissesfromkrista
    Options
    I just made mine this morning with dried cranberries and cinnamon. Might throw in some almond butter tomorrow. :) I also like fresh fruit on my oatmeal.. strawberries, sliced apples, or bananas. Try to avoid flavored oatmeal. Get the plain kind and add in your own flavors. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sounds crazy but add soy sauce and scallions The savory will is a nice change from he sweet..here is the recipie..you will never eat sugary oatmeal again

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/01/mark-bittmans-savory-oatmeal-with-scallions-and-soy-sauce-recipe.html
    My husband does this. He eats it like rice.
  • chrissygizzy
    Options
    Hi, I sprinkle my vanilla or chocolate whey protein powder on my oatmeal. Added flavor plus lots of protein.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Maple syrup and/or bourbon.

Bourbon and/or Raisins
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Drop a spoonful of chocolate chips spread out over the top of an already made bowl. Don't stir. Eat your soft batch chocolate chip cookie. :)

OhSheGlows.com has tons of overnight oats recipes.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit or dried cranberries!!
  • EllaScarlet
    EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I mix in cocoa powder and honey/sugar/agave... tastes SO decadent yet cocoa powder is sugar free and low in calories!
  • jared767
    jared767 Posts: 76
    Options
    I usually add raisins, nuts and whatever fruit I have in my kitchen. I tried cooking it with ginger, chunks of chicken, salt and pepper before but I didn't like it. I prefer my oatmeal sweet.
  • Arialynna
    Arialynna Posts: 4
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't put sweet n' low in your oatmeal. I tried it this morning on a whim since I was in a hurry. It was awful! Totally disgusting.

I need to go get some dried fruit for tomorrow.
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I usually have my porridge with fruit flakes [uk] and cinnamon.

I recently found in Tesco lots of different flavoured porridges which were actually really handy [and potentially lazy!] because it's in a carton which you just pour your boiled water in to. Handy for work.
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    jam!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • flamencodiva
    Options
    I saw on a cooking show the chef added a splash of olive oil and seasalt on top! Different, but looked yummy....I guess italian style..she was Italian....

Also, try toasted coconut, and/or dried fruits instead of fresh....all the other ideas are great too!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I eat mine with sliced banana or strawberries, a handful of raw walnuts, a little plain greek yogurt, and drizzle it with honey. Keeps me full, the yogurt adds protein, and it all tastes yummy!
  • LittlebonesNik
    Options
    1/2 a cup of oats
    1 banana chopped up
    1/2 cup of water

Put all these into a bowl mixed up, and cook in the microwave for 1 1/2 mins. Stir (the banana will be cooked by now and will mush into the porridge mix nicely). Add a drop more water to loosen, then back in microwave for another 30 secs.

Finally add a splash of skimmed milk or hazelnut or almond milk to cool, mix this in.

Add a sprinkle of cinnamon and a half to a full teaspoon of sugar. Mix all together and I promise this tastes amazing!!