I need ideas for packing a clean lunch!! cold salads, etc...

Options
strongmom2b
strongmom2b Posts: 26 Member
So, starting around this time of year and until the end of August I pack lunches for my kids and I almost everyday. We go to a park, the pool, or a beach everyday we can. Right now I try to grill a bunch of chicken breast and pack that to pop in the microwave for lunch everyday with some veggies. I need something that can be eaten cold and packed in a lunch everyday.....I can't do salads with lettuce (can't digest lettuce) but I love any other cold salads with veggies and protien.( I do sandwiches sometimes but that is a treat!) Can you guys help with ideas and recipes?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I do a chicken salad that is da bomb. You can put it in a wrap or just eat it as is. Perfect for a summer lunch.

Cold rotisserie chicken breast, cubed (however much)
    halved red grapes
    slivered red onion
    slivered almonds
    granny smith apples diced
    I do a 1/2 fage greek yogurt and 1/2 low fat mayo combo (as much as desired)
    curry powder (this is only if you like that sort of thing, you can leave it out)
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I do a salad daily. I put a hard boiled egg in, some shredded cheese, and a boiled chicken breast. :) I eat mini bell peppers and grape tomatoes and fresh fruit for snacks.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Sorry, just saw you can't eat salad. :(
  • jencornelius
    Options
    Cucumber and onion salad is cool and refreshing. I do cucumbers, onions, some roma tomatoes,white vinegar, water, celery seed and equl in place of the sugar.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    check out dashingdish.com she has recipes for all categories including eating clean
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Cold salads I like:

- quinoa
    - bean
    - potato
    - marinated vegetables
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Potato salad, macaroni salad, pasta salad, tuna sandwiches, chicken salad sandwiches!
  • leahnoelle31
    leahnoelle31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Try your regular salads but instead of lettuce, try fresh spinach. 9 times out of 10 I will choose spinach over romaine lettuce (mostly because I like the dark green color--my salads always look like a rainbow threw up in a Tupperware container ;). So yummy!
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Google BENTO BOX LUNCHES FOR KIDS

You don't have to do a "real" bento box, but lots and lots of ideas for lunches that don't need refrigeration, food that can be packed in the AM and still edible at lunch time. But Bento Boxes are very cute for kids, make them want to eat what you prepare and are very creative! I did one for my daughter every day when she was a senior in high school! But lots of healthy ideas for packed lunches if you look at various sites.
  • julysbaby
    julysbaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do a chicken salad that is da bomb. You can put it in a wrap or just eat it as is. Perfect for a summer lunch.

halved red grapes
    slivered red onion
    slivered almonds
    curry powder (this is only if you like that sort of thing, you can leave it out)
    LOVE this!!!
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Spinach salad? Would that work?

Different types of veggies - carrots, celery, zucchini, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers
    Nuts - almonds, pistachios
    Fruits - apples, bananas, peaches, berries, watermelon
    Just combine them, different combinations

You could do wraps, and include different things in them.

Rice is always a good option, it's pretty filling. It isn't as good cold but it could work in a wrap.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    What about wraps on low carb whole wheat tortillas? Little cheese? Little turkey?? I am a soup gal myself, I would get a thermous!!
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options

halved red grapes
    slivered red onion
    slivered almonds

Sounds delish!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    can you eat baby spinach?
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Today for lunch I have:

42g of pasta mixed with a 1/2 can of tuna and 1tsp of honey mustard
    2 hard boiled eggs
    A can of peaches (Great Value brand - Walmart)
    And a 1/2 cup of pomegranate/pear flavoured roasted soybeans.

All cold foods :)
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I like wrapping deli turky meat and a slice of cheese inside of a romaine lettuce leaf.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    great ideas here!

p.s. Bento boxes website is pretty awesome!!
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Quinoa and Couscous are good for salads, I also have a recipe for a really good grape and lentil salad.

http://www.marthastewart.com/852050/lentil-salad-grapes-and-feta

I leave out the walnuts, reduce the amount of olive oil, use reduced fat feta and parsley instead of thyme. It's delicious and is very filling from the lentils.
  • tiffluvsjs23
    Options
    Try Arugula, diced tomatoes and penne (lightly) tossed in alfredo sauce...allrecipes.com.
  • Jvsg14
    Jvsg14 Posts: 5
    Options
    I do a corn salad that I really like and then add whatever protein I have available. The cooked dressing takes a few extra minutes but it is fat free and worth it:

1 pkg frozen corn (cooked per instructions and chilled; or you can use fresh cut from the cob)
    1/2 onion diced
    1 diced bell pepper (I use half green , half red)
    2 ribs chopped celery
    1/2 cup-ish cut carrots

Dressing: bring to boil the following: 1/2 c white or cider vinegar; 1/4 c sugar; 2 tsp prepared yellow or dijon mustard; 2 tsp flour. Stir until thickened. refridgerate until cold. I don't know if the dressing will thicken if you use splenda or another sugar substitute; I don't eat sugar subs. You can do the dressing in the microwave, but honestly it is quicker and easier on the stovetop.

mix dressing with vegetables (it will thin from the vegetable juices) and season with black pepper. I add cut grilled chicken or salmon or left over flank steak as the protein. You could also add a drained and rinsed can of black beans if you want a vegetarian salad instead. My husband stirs a couple of TBSPs of chunky hot salsa into this salad to give it a mexican kick which is pretty good too.