How does it work?

XFitMojoMom
XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm really stumped.
How can I be the same height, same bust, waist, hips ratio to someone and weigh 30 pounds more?

Replies

• Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Body composition, pure and simple.

In the description you give, your measurements are all the same, but the other guy might have less visceral fat (the stuff you can't measure by pinching) - organ fat.
    The old adage "you are what you eat" is proven by this difference. If your diet is junky and the other guys isn't, you can be the same measurement and maybe even fit into the same clothes, but your scale is meaner to you!!

Given time and a lot of work, you could eventually be the same weight or close.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Beats me! Are you sure that whoever told you their weight wasn't "fibbing"?! :noway:
  • CK07
    CK07 Posts: 10
    Muscle weighs more than fat too.
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    i agree. it's body composition. my sister is only a few pounds heavier than me but she wears a size 16 and i wear a 12. but i work out 7 days a week and she doesn't. so i have less fat and more muscle. she'll get there :bigsmile: but that's just reality.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    i agree. it's body composition. my sister is only a few pounds heavier than me but she wears a size 16 and i wear a 12. but i work out 7 days a week and she doesn't. so i have less fat and more muscle. she'll get there :bigsmile: but that's just reality.

It's really wacky how some people can weigh the same but look completely different
    I've always looked lighter than what I actually weigh
    A few GF and I went out one night and got a little tipsy and started guessing everyone's weight...we were all wayyyy off and guessed much LESS that everyone actually weighed

Hope that made sense
    Just try and focus and you and how u carry your weight and how U want to look/feel

Kim
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Yes, body composition...............

My sister-in-law has always been in fierce competition with me..................

She used to get mad because I always weighed 30-40 pounds more than she did and I wear a smaller clothing size....................

I have a lot more muscle than she does, so I appear to look smaller even though I weigh a LOT more.
  • XFitMojoMom
    No she wasn't fibbing - we were weighing in and measuring at the same time. She looks heavier than me too. must be a muscle/fat thing. I used to joke that my bones were iron-loaded, that is why I weighed more than what I looked like.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    No she wasn't fibbing - we were weighing in and measuring at the same time. She looks heavier than me too. must be a muscle/fat thing. I used to joke that my bones were iron-loaded, that is why I weighed more than what I looked like.

I think it's the muscle thing. I've rarely looked as heavy as I weigh because I'm just naturally pretty muscular.

Think about it this way. If you weigh more because of muscle, you can lose more with less effort because muscle burns more calories so feel sorry for the poor girl and do a happy dance for you! :tongue:
  • XFitMojoMom

Think about it this way. If you weigh more because of muscle, you can lose more with less effort because muscle burns more calories so feel sorry for the poor girl and do a happy dance for you! :tongue:

Oh I wish it was that easy!! I've been at this since November, managed to lose some weight, but been stuck at the same weight since February!:mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble:
  • JoyousMaximus

Oh I wish it was that easy!! I've been at this since November, managed to lose some weight, but been stuck at the same weight since February!:mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble:

That stinks! It must be really frustrating.
    What have you tried to break the platau? I've heard that calorie rotating/zig-zaging works pretty well. At the bottom of my post is a link to a calories calculator. If you calculate your calories then select "7-day calorie cycle", it will calculate it for you.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#
  • XFitMojoMom
    I've tried increasing my intensity, lowering my calorie intake (right now anywhere from 1200-1400/daily) upping my cardio, hiring a personal trainer that has already cost me almost 3K$... Now this site - it seems I've been protein loading, so I am trying sooooo hard to stay in my alloted 45g/day..
    Next is a physical to see if there is a health issue.
  • JoyousMaximus
    I've tried increasing my intensity, lowering my calorie intake (right now anywhere from 1200-1400/daily) upping my cardio, hiring a personal trainer that has already cost me almost 3K$... Now this site - it seems I've been protein loading, so I am trying sooooo hard to stay in my alloted 45g/day..
    Next is a physical to see if there is a health issue.

Those calories seem pretty low if you weigh 190lb. When I calculated it, depending on your height, your calories should be 1520-1564 for 1lb/week without exercise. Higher if you are exercising. You may actually want to increase your calories and start zig-zagging them. I think that would really help.

Where did you get that protein number number from?
  • XFitMojoMom
    here on MFP...

I don't think I can eat more than those calories without adding more protein to my diet!
  • JoyousMaximus
    here on MFP...

I don't think I can eat more than those calories without adding more protein to my diet!

You should add more protein. The current recommendation for distibution of calories (according to dietitian.com) is 50%carbs, 20% protein, 30%fat. I've even seen some weight training articles recommending 40/30/30. I believe MPF has it automatically sets it to 55/15/30 either way when you increase your calories, your protein will also increase.

Another weigh is to calculate you protein by weight. The calculation is your weight in pounds divided by 2.2 (conversion to kilograms). Take your weight in kilograms and multiply it by .8. Then take your weight in kilograms and multiply in by 1.2. These numbers are the range (in grams) of protein you should have a day. If you change your ratio to 50/20/30, the number of grams will probably fall into that range.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    I agree you should up your calories.
    Alot of people on here have gotten off their plateaus by upping it 200 cals per day.

I am using a 40/30/30 ratio and I have approx 55g of protein daily.

Plus we realized that you have more muscle than your friend.

Pump them up and feed them with protein, they will burn more fat.
    Strength training burns more fat than Cardio. (According to Mens fitness)

Try to get a resistance or strength workout in every 2 days.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Thump - I get a resistance/core workout every 3 days with my personal trainer.
    I do cardio 35-50 minutes 5-6 days (time dependent on if I trained with PT or not)
    I swim 20 x 25 laps twice week
    when I get back from holiday I start "hot yoga" twice a week for 90 minutes each session.
    Plus I'm a mom to two very young girls (3 and 20 months) so that in itself is a 24 hour workout!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Dam, your really giving it a good work out every day then.:flowerforyou:
    You must be burning 300+ calories every day.

If your eating clean, then only thing other than health issue is you should be eating according to this site and eating exercise calories, at minimum 1500 calories daily (1200 +300 burned).
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    there is a MFP member who posted a picture of her and a close friend. They are the same weight (she weighed with her) and in the picture one looked fat while the other looked fit.

It was simply amazing to me, but makes sense. I am almost 140 and wearing an 8..........and can squeeze into a 6. But 10 years ago at this weight I was a size 10-12..............of course I wasnt working out 6 days a week and lifting weights.

you seem to be blessed with good genes...........go hug your mom and dad!!:laugh: :laugh:
  • JoyousMaximus
    I agree you should up your calories.
    Alot of people on here have gotten off their plateaus by upping it 200 cals per day.

I am using a 40/30/30 ratio and I have approx 55g of protein daily.

Plus we realized that you have more muscle than your friend.

Pump them up and feed them with protein, they will burn more fat.
    Strength training burns more fat than Cardio. (According to Mens fitness)

Try to get a resistance or strength workout in every 2 days.

You may want to recheck your settings. By calculations, if you have it set to 40/30/30 and are only getting 55g of protein, than your daily calorie intake would only be about 735 calories. If you have it set to 55/30/15 and are get 55g of protein, than your daily calorie intake would be about 1467calories.
  • JoyousMaximus
    Dam, your really giving it a good work out every day then.:flowerforyou:
    You must be burning 300+ calories every day.

If your eating clean, then only thing other than health issue is you should be eating according to this site and eating exercise calories, at minimum 1500 calories daily (1200 +300 burned).

I definately agree with ttthumper. You should really increase your calories.
This discussion has been closed.