So if I exercise and earn extra calories...

I'm assuming I still don't use them and stick to my original set of calories. Is this wrong?

Replies

• sophiesummerdiet
    sophiesummerdiet Posts: 84 Member
    I eat mine otherwise I don't net enough!
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    I eat mine otherwise I don't net enough!
    [/quote
    I don't really understand the NET. Yesterday I NET about 800.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    If you weren't supposed to eat them, it wouldn't say you earned them.
  • MoganHorse
    MoganHorse Posts: 39 Member
    Ya, Your fine! In fact your great! you can stay at your base and exercise. They are just telling you that you could go up if you want to, but you dont have to. Just make sure you are at least consuming your baseline or you will have big issues later on!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    I try to eat mine. I say try because sometimes I am just not hungry.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    There are some very usefull stickied threads at teh top of this forum for new members - starting here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 671 Member
    MFP says to eat them because they have already figured your calorie deficit. Depending on how many I burn, I try to eat them, but when you eat them, eat healthy. Don't think that calories in the bank is license to splurge on junk.
  • red_hatorade
    red_hatorade Posts: 166
    If your goal is 1300 calories a day and you burn 500 calories, then that means your net caloric intake is 800 calories. The consensus is that you should stay at 1200 calories or more per day, net.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    And this is the first time I have ever agreed with anything Elizabeth posted :drinker:

If you don't eat them, you make your deficit bigger and potentially counter-productively so. Do a forum search for TDEE and get to reading.
  • nasja1984
    nasja1984 Posts: 98 Member
    I'm assuming I still don't use them and stick to my original set of calories. Is this wrong?

you can use them or not, it depends on if you "need them" or not. If you are overweight, you won't starve without them. Personally, I didn't use them often. I did use them occasionally.
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Eat them and enjoy them!
  • indiepops
    indiepops Posts: 96
    ok there is a very divided opinion about whether to eat them back or not. personally why bother, we've all already put all this weight on, to exercise and burn calories is how to get rid of the excess weight, right? so why eat them back? you might as well stick to your calorie allowance and not bother exercising! its alright people saying well if i burn X amount of cals then i only have X amount of net calories for the day, but you havent, your exercising to burn the fat that you're trying to lose. thats how i do it, i never feel deprived, i am healthy and i lose about 1.4 to 2 lbs a week. started a new regime now so today was my new starting weight ive lost 12lbs since jan x
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    EAT IT.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Take a look at this thread in the Unofficial MFP FAQ for multiple explanations for why eating exercise calories are a part of the MFP program.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390145-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    You need to eat enough of them to net at LEAST 1200. Other than that I'd still recommend eating most of them.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    you have to eat them back....check out this link...
    I've also struggled with that...only eat them back if you're hungry or your body is telling you to...just listen to your body :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538943-how-to-calculate-calorie-goals-according-to-nrolfw
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    This. Pretty simple concept, really.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    ok there is a very divided opinion about whether to eat them back or not. personally why bother, we've all already put all this weight on, to exercise and burn calories is how to get rid of the excess weight, right? so why eat them back? you might as well stick to your calorie allowance and not bother exercising! its alright people saying well if i burn X amount of cals then i only have X amount of net calories for the day, but you havent, your exercising to burn the fat that you're trying to lose. thats how i do it, i never feel deprived, i am healthy and i lose about 1.4 to 2 lbs a week. started a new regime now so today was my new starting weight ive lost 12lbs since jan x

i've researched and read and heard from trainers that you need to eat them back...
    also, I've lost 12lbs since march 28th (when I started on here)
    by eating them back....again, dif things work for dif people BUT for long term, you'll want to eat them back-it is possible to
    be depriving your body and not know it because your body is getting used to it..
    1200 calories isn't enough for anyone who have long term goals or intend on keeping the weight off.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Thing is you have to know exactly the calories you ate burning to eat
    There's different calculators different HRMs and fitbits
    Nothing is exact we all burn differently

I eat slightly above my BMR but only for the last 2 weeks I was eating 1200-1300 gross but felt lethargic so joined the group Eat more to weigh less it explains a lot

I totally agree with why eat exercise calories when they ate to burn fat & calories to get fit & tone up
    Go with -20 TDEE = total daily energy expenditure
    Meaning total your body burns - 20%

You will find the right way for you most of us this is a new start a proper way of living a healthy life so slowly wins the race

I started Jan 2012 after many 'diets' I'm never starting another diet I'm on a plan for life x
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    MFP says to eat them because they have already figured your calorie deficit. Depending on how many I burn, I try to eat them, but when you eat them, eat healthy. Don't think that calories in the bank is license to splurge on junk.

This! Exactly this!