Calorie Goal differences

Options
Hiya!

I've been struggling with a year long plateau, and after reconfiguring on MFP, I have a calorie goal of 1270 - exercise not included. I have a desk job (sedentary activity level) and exercise at least 3 times a week for nearly an hour at a time.
I have been gaining weight.
This is very frustrating and I have been trying to find a better solution. I do at least 40-45 minutes of cardio each exercise session, and at least 10 minutes of serious weight lifting.
One of the solutions I would like to try is a different calorie goal. Currently I would like to lose 2 pounds a week, and again in doing so my goal has been set to 1270 on MFP - here's where the title comes in: on livestrong.com I should be at 1627 calories a day.

Livestrong.com takes into account the same factors: age, height, current weight, and activity level. So what am I missing here? Should I try the higher calorie intake? How long will I have to do it before I go back down again? I realize that I will gain at first from upping the intake, but I don't want to keep sliding backwards on the scale just because "I'm eating more to lose more." It's a slippery slope for me; a major part of joining MFP was because I realized that food and I have a tumultuous relationship at best.

Oof! Sorry for the block of text, has anyone else been to other sites and gotten such a big calorie difference?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Cheers!

Replies

• nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've never been on livestrong.com, but my first guess is that they assume that if you say you will exercise 3 times a week for an hour, that they build that into your calorie goals. MFP doesn't, you only eat those calories when you actually do the exercise, so your base daily goals are lower.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Try this website: http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/

I didn't originally think about the fact that your BMR is a function of your activity level, so if you are exercising hard for an hour 3x a week, your BMR will be higher than someone who sits around--- and this doesn't even factor in the extra calories you burn while exercising!
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I think I may just have to up my calories a bit, maybe then I won't feel so woozy half the time.
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    seems like you need to eat back your exercise calories IF you are using MFP. they set your calorie goal at 1267, and you need to eat this every day. on the days you work out for an hour and burn 600 calories, you MUST eat back at least 75% of those calories.

on that note, i believe, as nicky said, livestrong is already building in those exercise calories. so you eat 1627 everyday, but on days you work out, you DO NOT eat back your exercise calories.
  • Caffeinewitch
    Options
    I do eat back my exercise calories - but I still feel a bit woozy from day to day. On days I don't exercise, I don't overeat.

It's a very strange place to be in.
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    after reading your first post again, i feel as though a weight loss goal a 2 lbs per week is gonna be difficult to obtain if youre currently in a plateau. if you feel you are eating back exercise cals and you are not underestimating what you consume and overestimate what you exercise, then i would check out a group called Eat More to Weigh Less. Its a fantastic group taht really know their stuff. I currently dont adhere to their ways because where im at, i feel cardio and eating better will help me lose the first chunk of weight easily, but once i plateau, ill be doing their routines, etc. check them out and see if you like it!
  • Caffeinewitch
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion! I was thinking about it, but now I'll at least have to see what they've got to say.