donating for cancer victims

Options
As a few of you know, my sister in-law was diagnosed with Breast Cancer back in October at the age of 30. In honor and support of her, I decided that I wanted to donate my hair for cancer patients in need of wigs. This past weekend I did it! I was so excited b/c not only did I have enough hair for one donation, I had enough for TWO donations! Check out my pics on my profile to see a before and after! Doing this was such a WONDERFUL experience. I highly recommend that anyone with long hair consider donating. The program I went through was called Beautiful Lengths by Pantene.

http://www.beautifullengths.com/en_US/

They only require 8 inches to be donated and it takes about 6 donations to make a wig! (Which is combined with other donations.)

My hair feels healthy, and my new style motivates me to stick with this program so I can feel and look good:)

Replies

• kimford28
    Options
    As a few of you know, my sister in-law was diagnosed with Breast Cancer back in October at the age of 30. In honor and support of her, I decided that I wanted to donate my hair for cancer patients in need of wigs. This past weekend I did it! I was so excited b/c not only did I have enough hair for one donation, I had enough for TWO donations! Check out my pics on my profile to see a before and after! Doing this was such a WONDERFUL experience. I highly recommend that anyone with long hair consider donating. The program I went through was called Beautiful Lengths by Pantene.

http://www.beautifullengths.com/en_US/

They only require 8 inches to be donated and it takes about 6 donations to make a wig! (Which is combined with other donations.)

My hair feels healthy, and my new style motivates me to stick with this program so I can feel and look good:)
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    You new hairstyle looks great and it's a great feeling to be able to help others too. :flowerforyou: My oldest daughter donated her hair to Locks Of Love when she cut it from being past her waist to just below her chin. Now she is talking about growing it back out again just to be able to cut it and donate it.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    You look great:flowerforyou: . I am so proud of you. :drinker:
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Someone from the other side is chiming in to say THANK YOU! At the age of 28, I was diagnosed with uterine cancer and thanks to early detection and aggressive treatment, I will celebrate 24 years of wonderful, glorious additional life come July 4th. I was one of those who lost all (and I mean ALL) of my hair during chemo and at the time, right or wrong, going from a thick, curly, hip-length, strawberry blonde mane to absolutely bald was a bigger blow to my sense of feminity than the loss of all my female plumbing :brokenheart: It's ironic...........I never wore my hair long again after that but my husband, who is also a long-term cancer survivor, grew his hair out to it's present waist-length (and yes, ladies...........it's an absolutely gorgeous, dead straight mane of pure silver ~ the kind of hair that some of us would do all sorts of things to have) ;)
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Your hair looks great! Did you lose your extra four pounds? :wink:

GL to your family and esp. your sister in law and brother. :heart:
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Love you new hairdo and what a great cause!! Would do it in a heartbeat, but my hair is already pretty short and falling out on it's own ( thank you pre-menopause)!
    What a wonderful thing to do
  • kat1000000
    kat1000000 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My daughter who is 12 has donated her hair 2 times, i donated the last time my hair was cut. It is a really great idea to do this!
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    My daughter was just asking how long it had to be to be donated. She has the most beautiful long curly hair. Her hair is a natural spiral perm!!! It goes all the way down to her butt when its wet. I will let her know that it has to be at least 8 inches. I know hers is probably closer to 12 inches and so thick, they could probably get 3 donations out of her hair.

Way to go!!!!

My hair is short so I can't donate. My sister donated last year. What a good cause!!!!

God bless you!!!

Memaw
  • kimford28
    Options
    Awesome! Keep me posted if she donates!
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    KIm,
    Who's the cute pup? Adorable :love:
  • kimford28
    Options
    HEHE:) That's our Murphy! just got him 1 1/2 weeks ago:)