Chicken and Turkey ideas

Options
Does anybody have some awesome (cheap to make) chicken or turkey ideas. I have so much chicken and ground turkey in the house but I NEVER can come up with something interesting to make. I usually just marinate it with italian dressing and seasoning which really isn't all that healthy for you anyways.
Also, any vegetable ideas?

I need to start cutting back on unhealthy dinners and start making fresh healthy dinners so I can meet my goal weight and finally be able to lose my goal which is an adorable Juicy Couture purse!

:heart: Danielle

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of chicken too and I've searched and found several casseroles that look tasty.

Easy Chicken Bake -- This is found on the back of Stove Top Stuffing Reduced Sodium Chicken Flavor Stuffing. It requires fat free cream of chicken soup and 16 oz of mixed veggies, thawed. You also need sour cream, chicken, and the box of stuffing.

Chicken Artichoke Medley-
    2c chicken boullion/broth
    1/4 c chopped onion
    2c cubed cooked chicken (about 3 breasts) or turkey
    8 oz artichoke hearts, quartered
    1 medium carrot, sliced thinly
    3/4c uncooked rice (instant or non)

thyme, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper to taste

Combine brother, onion, cooked turkey/chicken, artichoke, carrots, and spices. Bring to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

Cream of Mushroom Chicken-
    4 chicken breast halves
    1 can fat free cream of mushroom soup
    1/2 c water/milk

Cook chicken in skillet 10 min. or until browned. Remove from skillet. Stir soup and milk in skillet and bring to a boil. Return meat to skillet and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 5 min or until chicken is cooked through. Serve over rice.

Chicken Broccoli Twist-
    3 c. pasta
    2c. broccoli
    1c. sliced carrot
    1can fat free cheesy broccoli soup or cream of brocc soup
    1 3/4 c chicken stock
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp pepper
    9 oz cooked chicken

Prepare pasta. Add brocolli and carrots for last 5 minutes of cook time. Drain pasta and veggies.

Return pasta and veggies to sauce pan. Stir in soup, stock, spices, and chicken. Cook over medium until mixture starts bubbling. You can add cheese if you want but I omitted that.

I also cook up ground turkey or beef and just keep it in the fridge so I can toss it in with a serving of pasta and meatless spaghetti sauce. Turkey burgers are good too.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of my favorites:

Asian chicken
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    4 teaspoons sesame oil
    2 tablespoons Splenda or DaVinci's SF syrup
    3 slices fresh ginger root (or substitute ginger spice)
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves cut into strips

How To Prepare: Mix all ingredients together and marinate chicken for 15 minutes. Pour everything into pan, add a splash of olive oil, simmer on stove until chicken is cooked and marinade carmelizes. Make sure to turn frequently so all sides absorb the marinade.

You can also do this on your out door grill. Place foil on your grill and pour everything on the foil (add you olive oil). This gives a great flavor!

I used hazelnut davinci's last time and it was wonderful. Pineapple would be delicious with this!

I served with stir-fry veggies that I mixed a bit of marinade with..........

Adobo Chicken

3 pounds meat
    1/2 cup soy sauce --
    Kikkoman
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1 small onion -- sliced
    3 cloves garlic -- chopped

How To Prepare: Combine all ingredients in
    a pot or crock pot and cook.
    The longer it simmers, the
    more tender the meat will
    be. The recipe is also very
    forgiving. If you don't like
    garlic, leave it out. If you
    want to try
    it with ginger or hot peppers
    or anything else that you
    fancy, toss it in. Just don't
    mess with the soy/vinegar
    ratio. And don't add any
    water because it makes
    lots of gravy.

This is the national dish of
    the Philippines. It can be
    made with chicken, pork,
    beef or any combination of
    the three. But I like it with
    chicken thighs best.

I served this with steamed broccoli with butter and a bit of cheese melted on top.
  • healthychic
    healthychic Posts: 298
    Options
    Thank you both so much for the ideas! I am going to try to make all of the ones that I thought sounded yummy. I am excited :happy:

-Danielle
  • Jay_83
    Jay_83 Posts: 446
    Options
    You can always have chicken /turkey fajitas, add mrs. dash to it and cook it up with sliced bell pepper, then i use the Weight Watchers soft tortillas. If its chicken breast, you can put the Smuckers Sugar Free Apricot Jelly on it in the oven for 20 minutes on 350 degrees. Super good!!!:bigsmile:
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    This isn't for chicken breasts...but it is really good!

1 whole roaster chicken
    4-8 Almond sunset tea bags (Celestial Seasonings)

Fold a piece of aluminum foil so it fits in the bottom cavity of the bird, wet 4 tea bags and place on the foil in the bird. For a more intense flavor wet the rest of the tea bags and place around the bird, add about 1/4 cup of water or chicken broth, cover with foil and cook as you normally would. Uncover for the last 10 minutes or so to brown.
    The left over are great in a salad or in a wrap....YUM!

P.S. I have also used other flavors of tea bags, like lemon zinger or tangerine orange.