Vegetarian diet and working out

Options
Does anyone have any ideas for alternative protein sources for vegetarians? I am doing Chalean Extreme and need to get more protein into my diet. I do eat egg whites and fish occassionally but am looking for some other ideas.

Replies

• jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    Beans are a great source. Anything from hummus to black bean burittos. There are so many ways to use them! String cheese is a great snack and can also contribute to your protein intake. Things like tofu and meat alternatives are also packed with protein.
  • visiologist
    Options
    Greek-style strained yogurt. Protein content is really high in that stuff for some reason. I get mine at Trader Joe's - hopefully you have one near you, or can find it some other way.

Mike
  • vmanos
    vmanos Posts: 1
    Options
    I get most of my protein from strong cheese (part skim) and greek style yogurt. Boca original vegan "burgers" also have a good deal of protein, and they're low cal/low fat.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Before I work out, I usually eat a tablespoon of reduced fat peanut butter. After workout, I like hummus or kidney beans. And usually have some string cheese handy for those in between snacks.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on how much protein you needed. What does it recommend?
  • onfleur
    onfleur Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas for alternative protein sources for vegetarians? I am doing Chalean Extreme and need to get more protein into my diet. I do eat egg whites and fish occassionally but am looking for some other ideas.

Their are some really good protein powders that you can purchase and add the fruits you like to them so that the taste is pleasing to you. Another good source of protein is of course nuts of all varieties etc. My best to you!
  • kimgibbons
    kimgibbons Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice!

I have just made the switch to vegetarian (I have wanted to stop eating meat for a long time but always felt trapped as I have a family to cook for and I know they enjoy the meat) Hopefully I will be happy with my decision. I am doing it mostly for health reasons and I really don't care for the taste of meat.
  • christahollis
    Options
    Sounds like everyone has given you the basic rundown:
    legumes
    nuts
    soy-based vegetarian foods (like boca burgers)
    or just go all out, and do tempeh or tofu.
    also quinoa is a grain that also happens to be a complete protein.

I'm almost vegan (I say almost because prescriptions I must take are animal-based), and these are my regular 'go-to' choices.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Tempeh
    Seitan
    Whole Wheat Couscous
    Soybeans
    Lentils
    Black beans
    Kidney beans
    Chickpeas
    Pinto beans
    Black-eyed peas
    Lima beans
    Quinoa
    Bagel
    Peas
    Peanut butter
    Spaghetti
    Almonds
    Whole wheat bread
    Cashews
    Almond butter
    Brown rice
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    Potato

Of course there is also protein powder that you can use to make shakes or cook with if your program requires more protein than you can get from the above.

But limit the processed soy the way you would limit hamburgers and hotdogs; processed foods aren't any less processed just because there's soy in it.
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    there's a vegetarian thread running. I'm on it and we all help each other out with getting enough proteins, etc and share recipes and just talk about vegetarian topics. You should join it!:smile: