Gainers, what is your stance on Fat levels???

Options
Meg_78
Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
Gainers...where are your fat levels at?? I can't usually keep mine under or on level, I know I have some good fats (I uses olive oil in my cooking and baking 90% of the time , but I also have a lot of dairy fats - 1.5% milk, 2-5% yoghurts and butter (usually 10-15g of butter a day, plus at least 1 egg a day too)(are these considered bad fats??? I love my dairy!!) and is it ok that I'm usually between 20-30 over my limit??? My limit is 76, I tend to be around 90-100. I was fine a few weeks back, but was also eating a little less too, the more I eat, the harder it seems to be to keep the fat levels in check.

A little history I'm 5'4", 101lbs right now (stared at 97) Fat % 14-17% says the calculators, my scale says 15% IDK what to believe. I'm actively trying to gain weight, I'm lifting 3x a week, I eat 2280 a day, plus 250-300 extra on exercise days. I don't want to just gain a whole bunch of fat, so I'm trying to do this in a healthy way. But these red fat numbers worry me!

Advice please.

Thanks!
Meg

Replies

• Meg_78
    Options
    bumping sux, but bump Anyway...

Anyone? Where are all my beef cake men??
  • Meg_78
    Options
    One last bump attempt and then I'll give up!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat will not directly contribute to bodyfat gain.

I wouldn't put too much concern into it honestly. Hit your calorie target first, meet your protein intake (you should be getting at least 1g/lb lean mass), meet your minimum fat intake (.35g/lb bodyweight but you can go way over this) and distribute the rest of your calories towards whatever gives you the best gym performance/happiness.

EDIT: Your fat gain when bulking will be determined mostly by how large of a surplus you're creating and to a lesser extent, your training.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Try not to exceed 30% fat macro(try to get good fats) and start eating 300+cals on top of your maintenance. You want to gain but you dont want to put on too much body fat. If you dont gain then go higher until you do. You can check how much fat you are gaining using your calipers. A natty guy with a decent test. level can possibly get 2 lbs muscle and 2 lbs fat a month by doing this, not to sure about females though.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thanks people!

From trial and error I have learnt I need a surplus of 500 to gain about 0.5-0.75lbs a week, much less and I just maintain. Less than 250 surplus and I lose, and I have my mfp settings maxed out at the highest activity level so it's rather insane. This doesn't Inc my exercise cals, I add an extra 250-300 on those days. So a surplus of 750+ and its still slow gaining.

My protein is on par, usually under on carbs but I might look at a lower fat butter alternative. but I'm ok going over when its good fats I guess. I just have to make sure it is just the good fats that push me over.

Thanks again.