At A Desk ALL Day

Options
Does anyone know any workouts that can be done while working at a desk job? While I'm at work my legs start hurting from just sitting all day. I try to walk around but there is no where to go. :grumble: . Any ideas? :huh:

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Can you walk on your lunchbreak? During the cooler months (so I don't sweat like a hog at work), I keep an extra pair of gym shoes at my desk and go for 30 -60 minute walks on my lunch break. You'd be surprised how the calories burned can add up from a short walk. It's also a nice way to get some fresh air and get away from the office for a bit.

If there is not really any good areas to walk near your work, I've seen people just doing laps around the parking lot or the building. Also, if your office has multiple floors, always take the stairs instead of elevators. Every little bit helps!
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    My aunt who was a nurse told me to alternate going on my tiptoes to resting on my heels, basically flexing your calves. She said it helped with circulation, and prevented varicose veins. I am in an office by myself and sometimes do lunges or stretches to wake my muscles up. I have also heard of pedal exercisers that go under your desk, I'm not quite that hardcore yet though lol. http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_popculture_blog/2007/05/go_underthedesk.html
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    Isometric contractions are also good.
    You can do these while sitting at your desk. It's just a matter of contracting the muscles 10 seconds at a time. Eventually increasing the seconds you hold the contraction. This is very effective for toning stomach muscles when you've lost a lot of weight in the belly area. I try to remember to contract those muscles on an hourly basis. It helps with posture too. I do *cheek* muscles too by contracting my tighs and butt muscles. You know you're doing it right when it lifts you up off your seat a bit (hard to describe - almost like your lifting off of sitting on your hip bones and are sitting on your muscles instead - Make sense?).