How do you handle the shame/embarrassment?

Options
So maybe I'm alone in this, I don't really know. For years and years I've been bogged down with the humiliation and embarrassment of being overweight. Of not having clothes fit properly, of not looking the right way, of the bullying that accompanies being fat when you're a teenager.

But this is the first time that it hit me...how in the world did I eat so much that I ballooned up to 260 pounds? How many calories must I have consumed in a day for it to get that bad? 1500 calories a day is PLENTY of food. I eat delicious things and I'm not hungry.

I'm not one to be depressed, but this is really getting to me. I'm so ashamed and humiliated and I've spent a couple of days feeling terrible.

So if you've ever felt this way, what did you do to shake the feeling of inadequacy? The last thing I want is my own pessimism ruining what I have going here.

For the record, I've lost 34 pounds so far. :)

Replies

• Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    When I feel like that, I remind myself that my weight does not have to define who I am (which is still difficult sometimes because I grew feeling worthless). That's changing though, as I focus more on getting stronger than on the numbers on the scale.

Also, I can't change the past, but I certainly have the power and ability to change the present and the future for myself. And it's a simple as taking it one meal/exercise routine at a time.

You can do this. I'm sure you've had these feelings before, and you know they come and go in waves. It's just a matter of holding on to our work here until the storm passes.
  • Gerry_Lane
    Gerry_Lane Posts: 27
    Options
    It is difficult to walk in your shoes, but it sounds like you are in emotional pain. I can believe that you may isolate yourself because you do not like how you appear on the outside.
    I am not a behaviorist, but I hope you are not ashamed...that implies that you are behaving in a maner that is unacceptable or morally wrong. You are probably doing many things correct, and not seeing the immediate reward, but I think losing 34 pounds is wonderful.

Dr Gerry Lane
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this. Its hard for me to wrap my head around how much I gained the past 2 years. Honestly Im still not really sure how it happened. I wish I had been logging my activities and food during that process so I could know for sure.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Recite.
    Repeat.

399397300_gZskXTxE_b.jpg
  • jefflturn
    jefflturn Posts: 41
    Options
    Yep I can relate. For me it finally came when the media started talking about banning overweight people from flying, which I do a lot of by the way. Also when they said overweight people are the reason insurance is so high. I knew then that the last 12 years of being overweight was enough. Try this: Make a list of all the reasons you dislike being overweight and also a list of the things you can do once you lose weight. When you feel yourself losing motivation review the "dislike" list. When you feel depressed review the "things you can do" list. It helps me and I hope you find it helpful. Good luck
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing to remember is your no different than everyone else in the world. We all do it to some extent, some catch it sooner than others and stop. I hit 300 myself. high stress and not a very happy time. other catch it sooner and try to change there life style. You do what you need to. Get your life under control and the rest will follow, (being happy is the most important thing). Good Luck and Best Wishes.
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    I have always struggled with being easily embarrassed/mortified over stuff very easily. For the most part, unless it is something really severe, like obvious, sudden, public humiliation severe (which is super rare at worst), things don't get to me very much any more. The biggest reason is that if it is a circumstance that would have once really upset me, I reason it out. Can I really do anything about it at this point by suffering over it needlessly? Probably not. Making myself miserable over it is pointless and doesn't help the situation. Does anyone else really care as much as I do? 99.999% of the time, probably not. And does it really matter if someone else DOES care? Nope. What does it matter if it changes someone else's opinion of me? If someone is that shallow, I don't need them anyway. Take whatever situation you are ashamed of, examine it critically, learn from it so it will never happen again and at the same time leave you a better person for your experience, and move on. Forgive yourself. :)

I also have to remind myself that my imagination is often much worse than the actual reality. Imagination can distort very easily, so what you imagine how others see and think of you probably isn't close to reality.
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    34 lbs is a fantastic start!!! Do not worry about other people out in the world. They are probably too busy worrying about themselves to notice you.

If you havent done it already - get yourself into an exercise regime. You will feel so much better after each workout. And it will get you that much closer to your goal since you will be burning calories.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hey I hope I'm not going to sound annoying (to some) but do you pray? I find it helps for me :)
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I like that :-)
  • bethmillerwilson
    bethmillerwilson Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel this way too. I allow myself to think about it for a few minutes and feel the emotions and then I try to turn my mind towards the positive again. I recently have taken to thinking " I must find a way to love myself enough, to love myself more than my fears and my negative feelings."

It's really time for it to be about getting healthy, breaking away from old habits and moving towards the beautiful person you are inside. You deserve to treat yourself better and now that you know better, you can do better.

Awesome job on the loss thus far. I hope to be able to achieve that as well, but it is a ways off for me.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I ate stuff. So shoot me......Next!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're embarrassed about the person you used to be, but you're not that person anymore. Just try to remember that everything that happens to us or what we do in this life teaches us something. Whether an experience or time in our lives was negative or positive, we should be able to take something positive away from it. You now know you want to make better choices and be a healthier person, but you had to experience some negativity to get there. I'm glad you are on your way to becoming healthier, just try not to let the way things used to be get you down.
  • Claire594
    Claire594 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I can so relate to this. If 3500 calories is a 1lb of fat and I had to be eating that on top of my tdee I must have been just constantly shoveling food into my face.

Then I think about now that I measure every little thing, I realise I was not eating 'normal' portions. My old pasta portion for 1 meal would now feed me at least 3 times now.

I've tried to lose weight all my adult life with varying degrees of success however temporary. This time something has just clicked and I've lost 41lbs since Jan. I haven't changed a lot of the types of food I used to eat, just my portion size.

Something has obviously clicked with you too. I would try not to dwell on the past and look to your incredibly bright future where you can and are achieving your weightloss goals.
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement. I'm generally not a needy person, but it helps to hear "Hey, you can do it."
  • PayShi
    PayShi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me that looking in the past may distort what is going on in the present. I think this may be true but not all of the time.
    Firstly, congratulations on your success!!! Keep it up!
    What I'd like to say is the past is the past. While it's good to look back at what you've done wrong to make sure you're not continuing to do it. What you really need to look at is the here and now. And based on you're accomplishments you've been doing so well and are doing the right things.
    Don't let the past bog you down. That is the old you. While you're having to fix NOW what you've done in the past it's not important. You've already overcome so much. This shows great self-control and determination.
    I can so relate however with being bogged down by my eating habits. That's why I'm so thankful I've found the motivation I've needed to quit accepting my health problems and everything else that comes with being obese (not being able to do things I want to, not being able to feel beautiful, etc.) While I'm ashamed of how I've let myself go ALL of my life (literally... last time I saw a picture of me skinny was 4) it's about what I'm doing NOW and TODAY. And I've lost 3 lbs in 8 days. I've learned how to make this fun, and how to be a nerd while doing it(making excel sheets and etc lol.)
    So, sorry for being a rambler. But this is how I'm currently handling the shame/embarrassment. I've got a LONG way to go. But I've learned if I take this day by day I can SO do this while still being happy. =) While my body is still very obese, my mental attitude has been transformed. And now, I finally understand what most of those weight loss books I read meant by, "Without the right determination this probably won't work."
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I feel the original poster's pain. I am the heaviest I have ever been and feel so uncomfortable. I can't believe I have got this big. I just started this new way of food counting and it is going great for me though- down 7 lbs.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    It's really wonderful that you've lost over 30 pounds so far - that is a reflection of your commitment to yourself and better health. I can empathize with what you're going thru. I've battled my weight for over 20 years, and altho I'd lost 25 lbs last year, I've regained all of it back and then some. Part of it was due to life stressors such as my mom passing away, but still, as I got larger, I felt more ashamed, and that led to more eating. It got to the point where my already low confidence became a lot worse. I felt so disgusted with myself. It was a vicious cycle of emotional eating, and an unhealthy way to deal with my shame.

Recently I made a commitment to deal with the emotional and spiritual reasons underlying my weight struggles. I realized that for me, food was a way to fill the emptiness inside and give me comfort. I realized that I have distorted views about my beauty being tied to my weight. So I've started a program that helps me understand how to have healthy perspectives toward food and myself, and it's been great so far.

I can only begin to imagine the emotional pain that you may be feeling now, and I hope you turn to great friends or resources that can give you the support and counsel that you need. I also think if you get at the root of why you've gained weight, it will make a tremendous difference. Cutting calories and exercising more only gets at the symptoms of weight gain, but not the underlying causes. In the meantime, enjoy the progress you've made so far. Look forward and have hope, and over time you'll be able to leave your shame and embarrassment behind, and instead live with confidence and joy. :) Also, feel free to friend me if you'd like!
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Recite.
    Repeat.

399397300_gZskXTxE_b.jpg

That is fantastic. That's a simply a great reminder that even when it overwhelms me, no single characteristic defines me.

And to whoever asked - yes, I pray. I like to think that's how I got to THIS point.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of yourself for taking control! Also, read this: http://www.realage.com/diet-weight-loss/fat-talk-is-bad-for-weight-loss

=)