Triple scoop protein shake - too much?

LaurenAOK
LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
I am trying to up my protein to about 100g per day (1g/lb of lean body mass). Right now I drink a protein shake most days with one scoop of protein powder (26g protein) and I'd say I get anywhere from 60-90g per day (I don't log my food anymore so this is just an estimate, but back when I was logging that's about how much I got). I did randomly log my food yesterday just to check up on myself, so you can look at that for an example of what I typically eat.

I'm thinking I'm going to definitely start making my shakes with two scoops of powder instead of one, but then it occured to me that maybe I could even do three scoops? This would ensure that I DEFINITELY meet my goal every day. But would that be like, protein overload to have that much at once? If so, I could do a shake with one scoop in the morning and then a double-scoop shake in the afternoon after I work out, or something. What do you guys think?

I'm a vegetarian and I've been working hard to incorporate more beans, etc. into my diet for protein, but I just want to be sure I get enough. I'm doing NROLFW and I want to make sure I build some awesome muscle! (And if your'e about to start telling my why I'm totally wrong for being a vegetarian, please hit the "back" button on your browser now, thanks :flowerforyou: )

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    make sure you check the protein powder you use to make sure it is vegan/vegetarian friendly.
    i would think there would be such a thing as too much protein at one time, maybe only do 2 scoops?
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Bodybuilders take their protein intake in 6-7 meals spread through the day to help protein absorption. 3 scoops might be too much to be efficient at one time. Maybe just drink them separately throughout the day, problem solved :p
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    I don't think your body can process that much protein at one time, The excess will just be extruded from your body as waste and you will not be getting any benefit from it. Stick with one to one and a half scoops
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Id start loging again, no more guess work and split the protein between 2-3 shakes a day. There are also sludge and oatmeal recipes you can eat it with if shakes gets boring.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    sometimes i sit around eating scoop after scoop after scoop........RAW
  • stephslosinglbs
    stephslosinglbs Posts: 76 Member
    I was at a nutrition shop this weekend looking for new protein powder as was told that women only absorb 20-25 grams of protein at a time, and that the rest is just urinated out. So I was told to use 3/4 scoop of my new powder, which would be 25 grams, at a time otherwise I'm just wasting it. ??????
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    You'll hear a lot of crap about "Your body can only process x amount of protein in one sitting..."

...because magical faeries clearly come steal the rest from your stomach right?

Three scoops is fine if it will help you meet that ideal protein goal, and unless you are vegan whey powder is fine. Your body digests protein throughout the day, so don't worry about having that much in one sitting. If you are a vegatarian make sure you are also loading the rest of your diet with protein rich foods:

Hemp hearts/powder/seeds
    Quinoa (especially in place of brown rice)
    Cashews/Almonds
    Black Beans etc

Hemp powder specifically is a good alternative to whey if you dont feel like it, less protein per serving but you get tons of potassium, vitamin a and other micronutrients.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Very interesting replies, thanks! I figured 3 might be too much but thought I'd ask :P Thanks for the help, I'll definitely just spread them out throughout the day :)
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Doesn't matter when you have it, or how much.

Long as your under TDEE at the end of the day.
  • You'll hear a lot of crap about "Your body can only process x amount of protein in one sitting..."

...because magical faeries clearly come steal the rest from your stomach right?

Three scoops is fine if it will help you meet that ideal protein goal, and unless you are vegan whey powder is fine. Your body digests protein throughout the day, so don't worry about having that much in one sitting. If you are a vegatarian make sure you are also loading the rest of your diet with protein rich foods:

Hemp hearts/powder/seeds
    Quinoa (especially in place of brown rice)
    Cashews/Almonds
    Black Beans etc

Hemp powder specifically is a good alternative to whey if you dont feel like it, less protein per serving but you get tons of potassium, vitamin a and other micronutrients.

this this this.

i'd also like to add lentils to the stupidly high in protein list.

the protein powder i use specifically states in the serving size to use 2 scoops so it gives me 50g at a pop. i wouldn't imagine they'd tell me to eat that much at once if it would get pee'd out in a couple hours. the only issue i can see with a 3 scoop shake is how to drink that much before it got all funky haha..
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Yeah totally forgot lentils, and I eat them often.

Good poops.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    While people would like to argue that there's no such thing as taking too much at a time, as long as you meet your goals, there IS such thing.

Whether or not you can absorb the protein in a 50g shake or 100g shake is a moot point in my eyes. Protein is processed by the kidneys. Your stomach will dump it's contents, it's not like it's going to hold the shake in there all day and digest it as needed. That's not how it works. There's a reason why they say take things in moderation...if you drink 64oz of water in one sitting, it may look like you got your water via numbers, but as for your body, there's only so much it can handle at once.

Protein powders are notorious for attracting fitness hobbyists but the fact of the matter is, they are not the best source of protein when it comes to what your body can use. As a bodybuilder, it might help, and as a supplement, I can see merits, but there have been studies done that show that proteins from shakes aren't necessarily processed as efficiently as those from meats and protein rich grains like quinoa and chia.

Anyway, my point is, keep in mind that the protein will be processed in bulk by your kidneys if you drink it like that, so you need to make sure you drink extra water to help the filtering process and reduce the taxation on the kidneys. Also pay attention to the other ingredients, it is possible to OD on vitamins and minerals.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    I was at a nutrition shop this weekend looking for new protein powder as was told that women only absorb 20-25 grams of protein at a time, and that the rest is just urinated out. So I was told to use 3/4 scoop of my new powder, which would be 25 grams, at a time otherwise I'm just wasting it. ??????
    this is a myth
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    I do my protein shakes with one scoop of powder, 1 scoop of PB2, 1 cup of greek yogurt, and 1 cup of almond milk. Ends up being almost 60 grams of protein.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    It's perfectly fine OP, the human body's ability to absorb nutrients is close to limitless.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

The scientific references are at the bottom of the article.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

0.36 grams for every pound you weigh... at least according to that website..... too much can damage the kidneys.