Deficit on Weight Lifting Days,Surplus on Off Days

Options
Looking back at my diary, I noticed that I've been eating on a deficit on my weight lifting days however I go over my calorie goal on the cardio/off-days. I know that we need to eat in a surplus on weight lifting days & within maintenance during cardio/off-days but for some reason I'm having hard time to eat after my heavy weight lifting session although I do eat more protein after but not enough to get into a surplus. However I almost always going over or the high-end of my calorie goal during the cardio/off days. So my question is, would that have a different effect on our muscles? I'm trying to gain some muscles & I want to know if what I'm doing is good or not. So far I gained almost a kilo (2 pounds).

Any suggestion or advice will be appreciated. :flowerforyou:

EDIT: I also wish MFP has a preview button, I'm always having hard time with grammar & punctuation marks hehehe

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Anybody can give me advice? I badly needed it.
    Options
    BUMP again
  • jodyw83
    jodyw83 Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm more about losing weight, but I can give it a shot! Eating high protein foods right after you eat is a great way to rebuild and gain muscle. The reason you are probably eating more on your days off is because you have more free time. As long as you are still seeing the results you want and not really binging too bad on those off days you should be just fine! It takes a while to build muscle in weight, so take measurements and go based off what you feel! Hope that helps at all!
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to eat more on your lifting days and less on non workout days.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Looking back at my diary, I noticed that I've been eating on a deficit on my weight lifting days however I go over my calorie goal on the cardio/off-days. I know that we need to eat in a surplus on weight lifting days & within maintenance during cardio/off-days but for some reason I'm having hard time to eat after my heavy weight lifting session although I do eat more protein after but not enough to get into a surplus. However I almost always going over or the high-end of my calorie goal during the cardio/off days. So my question is, would that have a different effect on our muscles? I'm trying to gain some muscles & I want to know if what I'm doing is good or not. So far I gained almost a kilo (2 pounds).

Any suggestion or advice will be appreciated. :flowerforyou:

EDIT: I also wish MFP has a preview button, I'm always having hard time with grammar & punctuation marks hehehe

It may not be the best, but in all honesty, it's not going to hurt anything either. Your body is a constantly adapting mechanism. If we needed protein EVERY single time we did anything, or 'x' amount of calories any time we engaged in strenuous activity, we'd have died out as a species LONG ago.

Additionally, your body doesn't have a clock. What time do you workout? Is it in the early morning? Is it in the late evening? Midday? Either way I'm sure it is within 24hrs of your 'high calorie' day, lol.

You'll be fine, as long as it's averaging out over the week, you don't really have anything to worry about.
    Options

Yes I know but the problem is that weight lifting is somewhat becoming an appetite suppresant for me & although I eat more carbs and protein rich foods after lifting but not enough to create a surplus or even at my maintenance. However the day after when I can feel my muscles sore from yesterday's workout, that is the time that I feel more hungry. No matter how hard I try but the reverse cycle just keeps on going.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Yes I know but the problem is that weight lifting is somewhat becoming an appetite suppresant for me & although I eat more carbs and protein rich foods after lifting but not enough to create a surplus or even at my maintenance. However the day after when I can feel my muscles sore from yesterday's workout, that is the time that I feel more hungry. No matter how hard I try but the reverse cycle just keeps on going.

Again, you'll be fine. The big thing is getting the protein and carbs in, if you're doing that, and still getting your calories the next day....you've got zero to worry about.
    Options
    It may not be the best, but in all honesty, it's not going to hurt anything either. Your body is a constantly adapting mechanism. If we needed protein EVERY single time we did anything, or 'x' amount of calories any time we engaged in strenuous activity, we'd have died out as a species LONG ago.

Additionally, your body doesn't have a clock. What time do you workout? Is it in the early morning? Is it in the late evening? Midday? Either way I'm sure it is within 24hrs of your 'high calorie' day, lol.

You'll be fine, as long as it's averaging out over the week, you don't really have anything to worry about.

I normally workout between late afternoon or early evening. I can only manage to workout early mornings on my cardio days.
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your responses. Additionally today (Tuesday) I'm not that feeling hungry anymore unlike yesterday. My weight lifting days are Sunday (whole body), Wednesday (upper body) & Friday (lower body) afternoon/early evening so maybe that also explains why.
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I normally workout between late afternoon or early evening. I can only manage to workout early mornings on my cardio days.
    i am not doing heavy lifting but i can tell you for sure that on my rest days i am hungry like hell... and i would also advise you to look at is a week a time not daily... you body behaves differently every day but a week is a better unit to understandthe impacts and pattern and adjust yourself for the same.
    how have your results been??? f you are going in the right direction then do not worry but taking in a glass of whey or any other protein would help to get that protein in...