Eating workout calories

Options
I know people have posted on here before about this but here's the deal. I want to keep my calories at 1500 regardless of if I workout or not. My net calories will vary depending on my workout for the day, but I try not to go over. I've been reading that your body will plateau if you don't eat ur workout calories, but then I feel that it defeats the purpose of working out if I'm just on a eat those calories. My weight is fairly at a standstill and I'm not sure what to do. I have so much more weight to lose and feel like the fat should be melting off (a girl can dream right lol). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I mean I could try to eat all the calories to try but what if I gain weight. One last note MFP says I should eat about 1900 calories to lose 2lbs a week but I think that's too much. Should i up my intake or just keep it at 1500. Sorry for rambling. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I say listen to your body. If you are hungry, eat something preferably healthy.
  • katie190177
    katie190177 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat, I generally try to keep my net calories under 1000 and I find it's working for me as long as I don't eat my work out calories. Some days when I'm killing it at the gym/pool I do eat over 1500 just cause I'm starving, but I wouldn't eat ALL your workout calories. Just speaking from experience with my weight coming off rather quickly, hopefully you have the same success!
  • brookealyce
    brookealyce Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I heard the same thing, so I asked my doctor, he said you should NOT eat your calories, but that's just one doctors opinion. (I've been losing more since I stopped eating my work out calories)
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I would give MFP a try the way its intended. Eat the calories it tells you to eat. You say you're at a standstill anyway, so you really don't have anything to lose. Give it a month and see what happens. Don't be upset if you see a gain the first week. I eat the calories MFP tells me to, as well as the exercise calories I earn, most of the time.
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I really suggest you check out the group, "eat more, lose weight". I plateaued for months, until I finally listened, found my TDEE -15%, and never eat below my BMR. It truly is a mental thing, but once you take the plunge, then your body won't hold onto everything, You break your plateau, the scale starts moving and the inches will continue to fall. If I'm hungry, I will eat at least 1/2 of my exercise calories back. But seriously, check out the group. There are some fantastic people "real" information.

Good luck!!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will do exactly what you want to do.
  • asbonita3
    asbonita3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sleepytexan, Read your page great stuff :)
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed to already have a deficit built in for you. That is why you are supposed to eat your exercise calories back. I personally use body media fit to determine my daily calories burned and eat accordingly. I burn around 3000 cals on a daily basis including exercise so I eat around 2000 to have a 1000 calorie deficit. It's been working so far.
  • asbonita3
    asbonita3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Steph1278, I just changed my caloric intake to the recommendation of MFP. We'll see what happens.
  • millionairediva
    Options
    Hmmm these responses have me thinking...I actually like to report being under my calorie goal cuz it gives me a prediction of ehat my weight would be like 5 weeks from that entry. I like what they predict, so I try to keep it up. So maybe I should go to eating all my daily calorie allotment including those that I burn from workouts. Hmmmm
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago I lost about 1.5 lbs a week on 1600 cal a day with lots and lots of workouts (2 hours a day!). I was on a different system and 1600 was my goal whether or not I exercised. Yes it works.

But obviously I didn't keep it off (I did for a few years!). This way seems easier and more sustainable -- eating a smaller deficit, but eating back exercise calories on days I exercise (there's incentive enough for me to get off my butt, right there!). I'm only losing about 1/2 lb per week, but I'm not dying for a cheeseburger or anything either.
  • sharpeoplepc
    sharpeoplepc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I would eat back some of your calories if you are hungry. However, be cautious if you are using MFP's workout calories. I find that the calories they list are VERY generous. I use a heart rate monitor to get my exact calories burned and I repeatedly eat back about half. I have been losing weight. Good luck!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I heard the same thing, so I asked my doctor, he said you should NOT eat your calories, but that's just one doctors opinion. (I've been losing more since I stopped eating my work out calories)

Just curious ... did he know that there is already a deficit worked into the MFP calorie allowance? That makes a difference!
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I usually manage to eat back half of my workout calories. It's hard man!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I really suggest you check out the group, "eat more, lose weight". I plateaued for months, until I finally listened, found my TDEE -15%, and never eat below my BMR. It truly is a mental thing, but once you take the plunge, then your body won't hold onto everything, You break your plateau, the scale starts moving and the inches will continue to fall. If I'm hungry, I will eat at least 1/2 of my exercise calories back. But seriously, check out the group. There are some fantastic people "real" information.

Good luck!!

I agree with this advice.
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I tried not eating back my exercise calories & it actually set me back a couple of weeks. Then there are days where I burn so many calories, I can't eat them all back. My daily intake is set to 1610, but on the days that I work out, I try to eat enough back to net between 1200-1400. I know that everyone is different, but this is what works for me.

I should also note that I don't use MFP's calculation for calories burned, I have a HRM & input the calories I burned into the system.