Pilates or Zumba? New to both.

Options
I am headed to the gym to do weight training then some cardio....and noticed that they offer a pilates class and a zumba class that would fit in perfectly to my day....the question is I have never done either one, so which do I choose?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I've done both.

It depends on what you and your goals.

I'd do both classes and then pick the one that you like best... there are no rules that you can't do both if that's what you want to do.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've never done pilates, but I love Zumba. It's an awesome workout and so much fun.
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I LOVED Pilates when I did it years ago but it, for me, was more relaxing and I know for a fact I didn't burn as many cals as i do when i do zumba. Try both...I am currently doing Zumba 4-5 times a week and hope to add in Pilates to build up my core and help with a bad knee I have. They are completely different so it depends on what you want out of it. Both are a win!
  • LotsOtots5
    LotsOtots5 Posts: 174
    Options
    I just got back from Zumba!!! I love it! It is sooooooooooooooooo much fun! It's the only workout I've ever done where I wasn't watching the clock like a hawk waiting for it to be over ;) However, I'm terribly uncoordinated and for the first 8 weeks of the class I just hopped around and tripped over myself. Now I'm starting to get the hang of it ;)
  • koverholser
    Options
    Zumba is great! I've never done Pilates, and I own Zumba DVDs. Live classes are fantastic, and so much fun, especially if you're a dancer! Zumba 5 hours a week is how I lost weight for my wedding :)
  • jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've only tried my mom's really old pilates VHS < yes, vhs xD from the 80's and that just made me giggle. However, beyond that I don't know from personal experience. A good friend of mine LOVES pilates and has a crazy amount of dvd's so I guess it depends on the person, and the instructor. Same can be said for Zumba. I LOVE zumba, I think it's a godsend< I don't realize how tired I am because I'm having so much fun. Plus you burn tons of calories, without realizing it, can't get much better than that lol. However like I said it depends not only on the person, but a lot on the instructor. I started zumba with the dvd set, I fell in love, but after learning the routines I began to get bored. So I decided to venture out and try a class since everone said it was more fun and burned more calories. I tried a class, and hated it. The teacher was not even close to enthusiastic, the music was slow and boring, and my classmates looked like they were half asleep from well bordem lol. I went back to my dvd's but after joining a dance school and realizing they had zumba there too, I decided to give it another shot. I'm sooooooo glad I did, the whole class is so energetic and supportive, the teacher is AMAZING and I get an awesome workout each time I go (which is at least 3 times a week).

My point, try both to see which one you prefer. BUT also remember don't give up on either right away because it all may be just the teacher's style you don't like. :D
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I've only tried my mom's really old pilates VHS < yes, vhs xD from the 80's and that just made me giggle. However, beyond that I don't know from personal experience. A good friend of mine LOVES pilates and has a crazy amount of dvd's so I guess it depends on the person, and the instructor. Same can be said for Zumba. I LOVE zumba, I think it's a godsend< I don't realize how tired I am because I'm having so much fun. Plus you burn tons of calories, without realizing it, can't get much better than that lol. However like I said it depends not only on the person, but a lot on the instructor. I started zumba with the dvd set, I fell in love, but after learning the routines I began to get bored. So I decided to venture out and try a class since everone said it was more fun and burned more calories. I tried a class, and hated it. The teacher was not even close to enthusiastic, the music was slow and boring, and my classmates looked like they were half asleep from well bordem lol. I went back to my dvd's but after joining a dance school and realizing they had zumba there too, I decided to give it another shot. I'm sooooooo glad I did, the whole class is so energetic and supportive, the teacher is AMAZING and I get an awesome workout each time I go (which is at least 3 times a week).

My point, try both to see which one you prefer. BUT also remember don't give up on either right away because it all may be just the teacher's style you don't like. :D

THANK YOU! Such great responses from everyone! I have heard Pilates is great for your core, but I think I would enjoy Zumba more, decided that whichever one I do not do tonight I will do this week! Thanks to everyone!