my rant for the day..anyone else feeling the same way?

Options
13»

Replies

• gitrdone2012
    Options
    for the first few weeks I was a little obsessed about logging everything, but I've been able to be more relaxed about it lately.
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't usually worry about the calories per se, I think that would make me nuts. Sometimes I just eat what I want without thinking about it, but not often. I still enjoy the foods I like. However, before/when I eat something that I KNOW is bad for me, I ask myself a few questions (1) Do I REALLY want to eat this? (2) Am I actually hungry or am i just bored/thirsty/whatever? (3) Am I still hungry enough for seconds or am I full?
    It's all about control. Splurging is great, but why do it on something you don't really want or when you aren't really hungry enough to eat it? Do you really NEED to go back for more or do you just WANT to go back for more? In order to make this work you need to change your relationship with food, but don't make yourself crazy. Be concious of your choices, not obsessive about them.

17134251.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. But you can have a moment of pleasure now, or be in shape to enjoy a lot of life later.
  • chusheto1
    chusheto1 Posts: 29
    Options
    I don't miss being fat. Looking up a restaurant is a small fit compared to not being able to tie your shoes because your gut is getting in the way.
  • ctprofessional
    ctprofessional Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to eat anything, then a switch flipped and I couldn't look at a carb without gaining.
    Once I starting seeing entire days of food I could eat and stay in range, eating out wasnt as scary. I also attended nutrition classes and saw a nutritionist. Knowledge is power, I had two slices of pizza last week with a salad(without checking mfp first) and didn't blow the day.
    You aren't alone!
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If you add too much stress to the process (being afraid of eating, getting mad about overeating) you will fail.

Remember that the body doesn't operate on a 24 hour schedule which is weird to imagine I know. But overeating a bit one day won't destroy your life. Having a handful of chips will NOT cause you to store 30lbs of fat.

You're human and you should indulge from time to time. This should be a life plan and if you plan it right you won't have to stress over small snacks along the way. You can't live your life without treating yourself. It won't work, you'll set yourself up for failure.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Ok, I apologize in advance because I'm about to go on a little rant..but I need to get it out of my system and would love to hear people's responses! I've been on MFP for a few months now..started at 146, down to 130. I'm a freshman in college, and fell victim to the freshman 15. Well, now I've lost all the weight I gained, but I miss the way I used to feel about food!
    I could take a handful of chips without caring. I didn't look up the menu for whatever restaurant I was going to, and figure out which meal has the lowest calories ahead of time. I could go out for pizza with friends and eat 3 slices without even caring. You get the idea..
    Now, I constantly feel the need to log everything, and really feel like this whole 'counting calorie' thing has taken over my life.
    Does anyone else feel the same? Or am I totally alone in this?

I feel the same way you do....but I am happy about it! I am proud to be a snob when it comes to eating, I am PROUD to bring home a load of groceries and not have ANY crap!! I am ecstatic to bring healthy lunches to work and TURN DOWN going out to eat!! This is my strength...Myfitnesspal provides me with a tool to increase that inner strength!! Lovin it!!
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Eh. I keep track very closely, but I try like hell not to let it destroy my enjoyment of life or food. If I eat something, I put it in my phone... If I can't be sure about the calories, I make an educated guess, and just add the total.

I don't freak out if I "go over," though. I just remember that I need to make that up in the next day or so, somehow. Usually, it's working out... even if it's just doing situps and pushups for a while at home.

Then again, I have days like yesterday, where I do a lot less, and eat a lot less than my net target. I don't "make up" on those. ;)

Living in our society, where over a third of people fall into the "obese" BMI range (though that's a rant for another day), you almost need to track your calories fairly closely just as a means of self-defense against the forces that make us fat in the first place!

Gambare yo! (Give your best effort and succeed!)
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I completely understand how you feel. When I was diagnosed with diabetes it was a tremendous blow, because not only do I have to count calories, I have to measure carbs to keep my sugar in a good range. I can't eat carbs without making sure that it's exactly one serving, limit my fruits so I don't spike my sugar. It's frustrating at first and I mourned food. I've been extremely obese, 282ish lbs at my top weight and food was my comfort and my friend.

Now, I take an electronic food scale to families houses for dinner. I measure everything that goes into my mouth :( Even though it's still tedious, and I'm usually the last to sit down and eat, I'm happy that I was diagnosed with diabetes. Sounds weird right, but I know myself, and without that diagnosis I would've been happy being 195lbs because that was soooo much lower than my top weight. I felt amazing. Now, I'm 25+ lbs lower than that, and I know I still need to lose more for my health.

Find a reason that makes you happy with the restrictions, that makes you say 'I have to do this' and when you do, it makes it much more tolerable.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I miss not caring, but I waaaaay don't miss weighing 319 lbs.

I think some people who just needed to learn better habits can eventually stop the constant logging. For me, my eating was so disordered for so many years that I have a feeling if I stopped logging I would slip back into bad patterns. The logging serves two purposes: tracking calories and macros and making me be mindful about what I'm eating. The mindfulness is far more important than the numbers in my situation.

I use an iPhone app, and wouldn't say I spend more than 15 minutes a day total on logging, less than I spend on exercise.
  • kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not alone! I understand how it's nice to be able to take a handful of chips or eat pizza without feeling bad. However...that kind of behavior is what got me here in the first place. I'm assuming that's how it happened to you too...that "mindless eating." Anyhoo, I do miss being somewhat nonchalant about what I'm eating, but then I see the results of actually watching it...and those benefits outweigh the costs of having to log everything.

Also, you could give yourself a day of the week where you do let yourself take a handful of chips, eat a couple of slices of pizza without thinking about it, or ordering what you want at a restaurant. As long as you keep it reasonable you'll be okay. Doing that is what has kept me motivated...because sometimes I DO allow myself to eat what I want. It's how I stay on track!
  • rafrye3
    rafrye3 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been doing MFP for 1 Yr and I find that I will do this from time to time. For me I'm afraid of gaining the weight back I have lost 36 lbs and I feel great. I'm in the process of trying to tone up things now. Hope this helped
  • soonergal_21
    Options
    I agree.....slight indulgence once in awhile is okay as long as it is still in moderation. The key to it all is moderation. You can have that occasional piece of candy or a cookie, etc. as long as you don't go overboard. But keep in mind that it is very easy to go overboard.

I have lost weight a couple of times and slipped back into old habits and put the weight back on. It's hard, but when the weight comes off it is so satisfying.
  • bdubois63
    bdubois63 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I guess I am looking at it from a different point. I am going about this as a learning tool....I am learning to be more mindful of what I eat and learning PORTION SIZE....not MY MINDS SIZE....I think after doing it for the 40 days I have, I can relax enough to eat something without panicing about the calories, I know two pieces of my favorite pizza is about 600 calories....If I am going to have that sometime during the day....I just plan for it.....I know a scone at farmers market is 189 calories and instead of a hig fat STARBUCKS with it I have a Starbucks hot Chai tea with cinnamon sprinkled on it....IT IS FANTASTIC.... I have not guile for the pizza or the scone or the piece of MY MOMS FAMOUS CARROT CAKE I made for Easter.... I just planned for it...I did have to get the knowledge to be able to do this...and that I got through logging my calories.......

I hope you don't let this be a thing that ruins you day, you are much wiser from logging...now just let go of some guilt...don't be so hard on yourself! ENJOY LIFE!
  • nicholawelch
    nicholawelch Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am tracking what i eat because it helps me to not pick at the kids leftovers etc rather than to count calories. I have swapped some of the not so healthy things for healthier alternatives but still eat the things i want and like although i so use a smaller plate too which helps. I am more aware of what i am eating but do not feel deprived of anything - maybe that would be another way to help you:smile:
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    No, you're not alone. But as a friend told me, "Nothing tastes as good as fit feels".

This.

I think, when I started this weight loss journey, I decided to give up most of the pleasure I got from food. I used to eat pizza, fried chicken and nachos without a care in the world.

Now though, I still get happy when I see pictures of food, but the guilt and the wariness remain.

I am not sorry about it though. I'd rather look good than eat.
  • johnsummerton
    johnsummerton Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a day a month when I eat and drink anything I want , always cheers me up to bust my allowance log it all cheers me up. Then I just get back on it , lost 2 stone in 18 monthhs . Its to easy to take it to seriously
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Reading this I must be totally OCD, logging is my life and now not going over my calories is my daily target and I keep acheiving this. I like the way I feel about eating healthy, and know what I am eating. When I see takeaways etc I just think of how many calories they are and what little satifcation I feel after I have eaten them. The make me feel bloated and unsatified, however my new eating makes me feel like I am full without been bloated and never hungry.

Maybe the problem is you are looking for something different to what you are eating, try cooking something new once or twice a week that is healthy, get the recipe books out, its great fun and you know what you are eating and you`ll probably enjoy it more. We have lots of favourties now that are healthy and low cal so I dont have to majorly worry that I am going to overeat.

Also think of your long term health as well.

Sorry to waffle. any new recipe ideas are welcome to me. x