Protein?

Options
20shan08
20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
How important is it to stay under your daily protein level? I mainly keep an eye on sugars, fats, sodium and carbs. I'm never over on carbs and sodium. Sugars, I try to keep under 10 and fat, under 5. But lately I've found my proteins over anywhere from 10-17. Should I worry about this and try to keep it lower? Please help because I have no idea if this will affect my weight loss. It doesn't seem like it has, I'm still losing every single day but just curious about the protein.

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I couldn't tell you the last time i was under the MFP recommended protein level. 10-17 over should be just fine.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Your protein should actually be a minimum. If you are using MFP settings - they are very low in the first place.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    1g/lb of lean mass if you have a high body fat. In other words, you're probably not consuming enough protein. If you're 200 lbs with 30% BF, that'd be about 140g of protein.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Your protein should actually be a minimum. If you are using MFP settings - they are very low in the first place.
    ^this. Wikipedia protein. Apparently protein deficiencies can happen as low as 46 grams a day I believe it was? I'm on a cell right now...to painful for me to look it up :p
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Protein deficiency? Has there ever been a non-starvation case of protein deficiency?
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yep, if you want to gain or maintain muscle the MFP recommended protein should be a minimum. I usually try to get about 1.5-2 times as much protein per day MFP recommends, or roughly 30% of my calories. I've been trying to maintain (or gain if I'm lucky) muscle while losing body fat. So far my body fat has decreased 4.6%, which calculates out to 9 lbs of fat, and I've lost 9 pounds so I guess the protein is working as planned. :)
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks for the replies!! I was a bit worried about it but I guess I won't stress too much about my proteins. I'm currently 195lbs, I started at 245, so I mean what I'm doing seems to be working but thanks again for clearing that up!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Protein deficiency? Has there ever been a non-starvation case of protein deficiency?

Look at the link - it discusses it there. Here is the cited source:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/984496-overview
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/a-primer-on-nutrition-part-1.html
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I try to get around 100 g of protein a day. The goal MFP gives you is very low... I would never worry about going over on protein. If I went over I'd be ecstatic. And protein deficiencies, I thought, were pretty hard to get.
  • braga1992
    braga1992 Posts: 23
    Options
    I take in anywhere from 200-225 g of protein a day. Im fine.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I am 127lbs and I eat around 150 grams of protein per day. I went into my goals and changed the MFP settings. My protein is set to 35%.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I'm kinda to tired to look up information for you (just woke up). I'm just going tot say this isn't my field, but common sense would tell me yes absolutely. You could eat a ton with no protein and definitely run into problems.