Whey Protein Mixing

Options
Trying to read up on some whey protein mixing and it seems people are scared to mix it with hot water or milk. Any reasons? Some days I would just like a hot drink. I usually frappe it, but tonight, I was thinking more along the lines of a latte. Will this truly mess up the protein? Has anyone tried it? If it's not a good idea, give me some hardcore reasoning, with back up, why I shouldn't.

Replies

• Lorettaholland
    Lorettaholland Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, my brother in law is a personal trainer and he SWEARS by protein powder in his coffee, and its really yummy too. He just makes it as normal (always put coffee, protein powder and milk in first and stir really well, then hot water) for some reason this is the only way that doesnt go lumpy..... I say go for it!!
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks!
  • kjnmomma
    kjnmomma Posts: 7
    Options
    I usually do whey protein with 2% milk. People usually only do water, because they don't want the excess calories of the milk. I can't do just water and whey protein. It has a nasty, gritty taste to me. If I have to do water, then I do it in smoothie form, with strawberries, bananas, whey protein, orange metamucil, spinach, ice, and a little bit of honey
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Options
    I usually do whey protein with 2% milk. People usually only do water, because they don't want the excess calories of the milk. I can't do just water and whey protein. It has a nasty, gritty taste to me. If I have to do water, then I do it in smoothie form, with strawberries, bananas, whey protein, orange metamucil, spinach, ice, and a little bit of honey

Snap, I can't do whey protein and water - always blend it with 2% milk, it's great for a post workout drink as you get some carbs and with the added milk a bit more protein :smile:
  • kjnmomma
    kjnmomma Posts: 7
    Options

Snap, I can't do whey protein and water - always blend it with 2% milk, it's great for a post workout drink as you get some carbs and with the added milk a bit more protein :smile:

Hahaha...I am so glad to see someone else admit they can't do the whey protein with water. I know there are alot of people who can. I just can't. It makes me gag and to me has a gritty taste.
  • stephslosinglbs
    stephslosinglbs Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with mixing really hot liquid with whey protein, it clumps and is gross. I mix it with just about 1/4 cup of room temp water so it dissolves and then add hot coffee. Tastes great and no lumps :-)
  • ladynica
    ladynica Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it in anything hot, but I too don't like it with water. I usually put mine in smoothies or at the very least, mix it in with rice milk (I don't drink cow's milk). Seems to me it would be fine in hot liquids, but I don't know honestly.
  • jesterx888
    jesterx888 Posts: 181
    Options
    I usually mix mine with a couple spoonfuls of yogurt along with milk. Once on a while I will mix it in a blender with frozen fruit if I have it
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i put it in my homemade hot cocoa whenever i make it.

i agree it's pretty disgusting with just water