a few Stupid questions for Runners

Options
I'm in the middle of my C25K training...I have my first ever 5k in 6 days...it is not a timed event, this is more of a practice run for me for another 5K I am training for in September and it looks like it may be fun.

The run in 6 days takes place in the morning....I'm not used to exercising in the morning, I think it's important to fuel up before hand but find I exercise better on an empty stomache but I am concerned about not having enough energy. I've read that some runners like to fuel up the day before...great!, but I think I will want to fuel up on more than coffee in the morning before the run also....

Stupid question 1. If fueling up the day before, what kinds of food do you eat?

Stupid question 2. When fueling up right before a race what do you eat and how much?

3. It's only a 5k...do you take water with you?

4. People will be throwing powdered paint at me (color run) should I wear ear plugs?? Lol

Ok, I think that's it for now...

Thank you in advance for any input :)

Replies

• tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    1. It's only 3.1 miles - you don't need to carb load.

2. I usually eat a peanutbutter and banana sandwich about an hour or 90 mins before a race.

3. Only bring water with you if it's going to be very warm.... or if there are NO water stations on the course and you think you might need some. Personally I don't need any water for a 3mile run.

4. I don't understand this question. LOL
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    The best advice I have seen is - don't try new things on race day. If you don't usually run in the morning, try to schedule in an am run and try eating a little something before hand as a practice.
    Having said that, for 5k I wouldn't worry too much. Just have a good (regular) dinner the night before, a small snack in the morning I'd you can stomach it and enjoy the run. Most races supply water, but if they don't, I wouldn't carry water for anything less than an hour run.
    Re the ear plugs - I wouldn't, but I've never don't this run, so I have no idea!
    Maybe check out the race FAQs so you have a good idea of what to expect.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to eat anything special the day before. Just don't try any new foods or recipes, and try to stick with foods that you know will settle well in your stomach in case you are really nervous.
    I try to eat either a luna bar and banana, or english muffin w/peanut butter and banana about 2 hours before I run. And of course my coffee. If I have to go out for an early morning run and don't have time to eat, I'll do a GU. Whatever you do, try it out ahead of time. Don't do anything new the morning of the race. Maybe do a trial run in the next couple of days if possible, and test out what you think you might eat.
    If it's an organized race, they should have water stops. No need to carry your own.
    I have no experience with the paint thing. Sounds odd.
  • GregDinAZ
    GregDinAZ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1. No need to eat anything differently to carbo load. That only matters if you are running 10 miles plus. In fact, eating anything different before may cause stomach issues so it is better to stick with the tried and true.

2. I've done over 1000 running races (including 20 marathons) over the years and NEVER eat anything before I race. I just have a couple of cups of coffee to get things moving. Refer to my answer #1 about asking for stomach issues!

3. Virtually all races (including the color run) have water along the course. No need to bring your own.

4. No reason to do so but I would wear sunglasses to keep it out of your eyes.

Have fun!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of my C25K training...I have my first ever 5k in 6 days...it is not a timed event, this is more of a practice run for me for another 5K I am training for in September and it looks like it may be fun.

The run in 6 days takes place in the morning....I'm not used to exercising in the morning, I think it's important to fuel up before hand but find I exercise better on an empty stomache but I am concerned about not having enough energy. I've read that some runners like to fuel up the day before...great!, but I think I will want to fuel up on more than coffee in the morning before the run also....

Stupid question 2. When fueling up right before a race what do you eat and how much?

4. People will be throwing powdered paint at me (color run) should I wear ear plugs?? Lol

Not stupid!
    1. Eat what you regularly eat. I would recommend not drinking alcohol the night before.
    2. Something carb-y but not heavy. My favorite would be a half bagel or a soft pretzel. (I'm from philly- these are staples). 90 mis or 1 hr before.
    3. Most 5ks have water stations. I only carry something running if I absolutely have to, I hate fannypacks and I despise carrying something in my hands. I've only been to one 5k that didnt have water stations, and it was a really small country one.
    4. I also don't understand this. I wouldn't wear earplugs or headphones in a 5K because usually the atmosphere is fun and friendly and social.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    1. No need to carb load the day before for a short 5K race (that's for longer distances), but I'd suggest avoiding alcohol or eating a heavy, greasy dinner the night before.
    2. My pre-race meal is PB and J on whole wheat (1 slice bread) with some decaf coffee, 1.5-2 hours before-hand, and water (careful not to overdo - you don't want to be looking for a porta-potty or bush mid-race, LOL )
    3. I generally don't carry it because it's a short race and there is usually a water station at the midpoint, but check the race site and see. If it is hot, it won't hurt to carry water. If it's cool out, I probably wouldn't bother.
    4. I don't know about ear plugs, but I definitely wouldn't wear anything you're worried about ruining. Also, check into goggles :-)

Have fun!
  • ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    ahhhh! ive been wanting to do the color run! we are having a similar run near where i live called "color me rad 5k", and i really want to do that in september :)
  • hloftin32
    hloftin32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    No need to carb load, you will be fine without that. I eat something like a banana or a slice of whole wheat toast with PB, but I have a history of getting runners tummy if i eat anything larger than that! how embarrassing! :blushing: I have personally done the color run and you wont be thinking about water and they have stations at the very end for you. Trust me everyone goes at a pretty leisurely pace and just enjoys the powdered paint!!
  • morganecho
    morganecho Posts: 1
    Options
    My answers are identical to others:

PB and Banana on a whole wheat tortilla or bread, keep it small. No need to load before a 5k, really not until your mileage gets to about a half marathon. Drink plenty of water in the days leading up to the race, but the morning of the race drink water but not to excess and cut it off about an hour before the race. Go to the bathroom at the very last minute. They may have a water station, contact the race organizers or if there is a website it should say. I think for your nerves you should practice running in the AM a time or two and eating the above and seeing how it sits with you. Good luck!
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options

1. You don't need to load up on carbs for anything less than ~90 minutes. However, the presence of carbohydrates in the mouth elicits a response in your brain that can increase performance in athletes (basically, even just tasting carbs makes you feel slightly better almost instantly). So it may be something worthwhile to just taste some carbs while running if you're feeling low (like a gel or granola bar). Also, eating carbs raises your mood, so I would definitely eat carbs before a race just not necessarily to increase glycogen stores.

2. For a mid distance race like the 5k pre-race fuel isn't a huge deal. However, I would highly recommend eating something that you enjoy, preferably carbs for the reason stated above and preferably not too heavy, about 90 minutes before the race (I'm partial to pre-race pizza). Also, I would definitely recommend drinking some coffee. The sugar and (more importantly) caffeine will give you a good performance boost (caffeine is a huge performance booster). Just make sure you get to the race site a little early to use the restroom, often there's a line.

3. There will probably be 1 water station on the race course. But no, you won't really need water for a 5k.

4. idk

Also, remember that there's a huge mental component to these sorts of things. If there's something that is relatively harmless that will make you feel better in some way, do it. A lot of runners have favorite socks or shorts they wear to races. Some write little mantras on their inner arm or hat. Professional athletes often wear these silly titanium bracelets that are marketed to improve performance (they don't). Basketball players are taught to practice using the same pre-shot ritual before every foul shot, so that when they go to shoot the real thing they feel calmer having done their ritual (ex: bounce the ball, spin it, bounce it again, shoot). So if eating a bunch of carbs the night before helps you get your head in the race, do it.

Good luck.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I just want to add- it sounds like there's a lot of people on the sidelines here- I have in the past had fun wearing a T-shirt with my name on it- then people will cheer your name!
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Lots and lots of good advice in here! :o)