General tips that have helped me

Options
Here's a few things that have helped me:

* When I'm feeling hungry (out of boredom or stress), I chug some water or chew on a stick of gum
* Whenever I am unmotivated to go for a walk or jog, I think about other motivating factors such as the sunny day, my neighbors beautiful flowers, my dog needs his exercise etc.
* I always stretch before and after any activity...even cleaning!
* My i-pod has helped me run that extra stretch without boredom setting in, I always find that perfect song to get me energized & distracted (I hate running by the way)
* I try to check my posture and body mechanics while sitting at my desk, standing in the kitchen cooking,pretty much anytime I'm doing an activity for a prolonged period (core strength!)
* In long car rides or sitting in class I try to do glut (butt) squeezes or Kegals until I absolutely can't anymore
*For anyone with On Demand on Comcast, Exercise TV's workout videos are great! Go to Sports & Fitness - Exercise TV - and choose a video!
* I don't count reps on exercises, I just go until I reach my absolute max. - with counting I just stop because I reach a certain number not because I'm actually tired
* I find activities that are meaningful and motivating, walking with friends, swimming with my dog at the beach, gardening, dancing, arts & crafts - whatever gets me moving and is fun!
* I add movement to basic activities, for example I dance while vacuuming, I squat/lunge while brushing my teeth, I squat while putting dishes in the dishwasher, I stretch my hamstrings while blowdrying my hair....
* The more the merrier - I grab friends to work out with for support
* The park is a great place to do stretches, lunges, tricep dips, & enjoy some sun
* I add Crystal Light to my water for some flavor since it is hard for me to drink water throughout the day (especially when it gets warm)
*I eat breakfast (anything!) before I run out the door in the mornings. This starts up my metabolism and gives me some energy
*High fiber foods are healthy and filling -apples, nuts, Fiber One bars:)

Just thought maybe this would give someone, somewhere an idea :)

Replies

• kalamantina
    Options
    great thanx for the tips :) i love the tip about adding movements and little exercises with ur daily activities.. really something to think about ....
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Options
    Thanks!!!!!!!! I will definately use some of these tips!:happy:
  • slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    Thanks for sharing you tips!
  • StaciGirten
    StaciGirten Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great tips, I need all the ideas I can get
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Great tips, thanks!

I brought a stretch band to work. When I am frustrated, instead of grabbing food, I grab my band and do some exercises. It helps me to focus and to loosen up my shoulders and upper body.

:drinker:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Wonderful - :flowerforyou: thanks